Photo
- - - - -

Stars! :D

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elisha

Elisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

They're doing construction on our apartment building which cuts the street lights out!  I decided to take advantage of it and test out my sturdier new tripod :D :D

I think it came out not too shabby for the suburbs!

10486901085_cee659d1f4_b.jpg

Link to BIG BIG version where you can see all the colors and stuff:

http://farm8.staticf...42b0b0722_k.jpg

Anybody else have night sky pics?

Owned by Silver (unreg.) and FA Black Flame (NV Beau Bey x Precious Flame) (2010-2015; RIP 💔).

#2 splashh

splashh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

There is a place we stay on the Big Island of Hawaii, and there are no lights for miles around.  I have tried so many times to take a picture of the beautiful night colors in the sky but it has never come out close to how pretty this is!  Nice shot!

#3 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

I love living in the boondocks!  And  Mt. Rainier is in our background, so we have ample opportunity for great night photography.  A few of my favorites:

The Milky Way with a meteor and the Cascade Mountains:

7920MilkyWayShootingStar_zpsdb0cb849.jpg

Milky Way with tree line:

7930MilkyWayTrees_zpscdcc5481.jpg

Big Dipper
7935BigDipper_zpsd9a31c1e.jpg

Veterinarian by day, and some nights, and most Saturdays, and every 6th weekend and holidays. Wannabe photographer the rest of the time!

www.wildsidearabians.com

Home of Canadian Top Ten stallion Antham (*Rushan AHSB x WN Sharazada)

#4 Elisha

Elisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Splashh, do you have a DSLR and a tripod?  You gotta aim the camera at the sky, set the aperture as wide as possible and leave the shutter open for a few seconds, but not long enough to where the stars get streaky due to the earth's rotation :3  I took this one at f/1.7 (50mm, prime lens, you can pick a manual focus one up for sometimes as low as $40 used), ISO 640 and left the shutter open for about 5 seconds.  I took another one with ISO 400 and shutter open for 8 seconds but the focus wasn't as good as this one.

CVM, those are some AMAZING views!!!!  WOW!!!!  I would kill to be able to photograph out there, you are so lucky! :o

Owned by Silver (unreg.) and FA Black Flame (NV Beau Bey x Precious Flame) (2010-2015; RIP 💔).

#5 carolyn thompson

carolyn thompson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Lovely At one time they were saying we could see the northern lights in Texas so I loaded up six kids and myself to drive out to our land. We looked for a long time and didn't see anything and when we wanted to leave my car wouldn't start. My husband was working out of town and I had to call the husband of the extra kids I hauled out there. I have never seen the northern lights even though we tried hard to see them. I guess it was a good adventure for the kids

#6 splashh

splashh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Splashh, do you have a DSLR and a tripod?  You gotta aim the camera at the sky, set the aperture as wide as possible and leave the shutter open for a few seconds, but not long enough to where the stars get streaky due to the earth's rotation :3  I took this one at f/1.7 (50mm, prime lens, you can pick a manual focus one up for sometimes as low as $40 used), ISO 640 and left the shutter open for about 5 seconds.  I took another one with ISO 400 and shutter open for 8 seconds but the focus wasn't as good as this one.

CVM, those are some AMAZING views!!!!  WOW!!!!  I would kill to be able to photograph out there, you are so lucky! :o

Dang, I ran out of "likes". WHY does that happen?? Anyway, thank you I will give my husband this info.  He got a new camera recently and was trying to work it out on the last trip out there, but not sure he got anything he liked.  

CVM those pics were great!!