Photo

Shattered Shoulder -UPDATED JAN 27/15 - new pics :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
686 replies to this topic

#1 VeracityV

VeracityV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Not sure what to do anymore. Doesn't seem to matter if they are bubble wrapped, they still hurt themselves.

I arrived to feed Dan in the AM, and he was standing there at the gate waiting as per normal. Then I seen the blood down his front leg...OH NO... WHAT have you DONE I exclaimed....and realized he was non weight bearing on it. When I got over there, I saw the big deep gouge in his shoulder and was horrified. Less than a month away from Canadian Nationals, a show we have been working towards for a long time..... 

Of course it was a SUNDAY, so called the good horse clinic (an hour away) and arranged to meet the on call small animal vet as well as one of the equine vets who agreed to come in. I loaded him up (which he did very good on three legs) and away we went.

Dr Everett didn't seem too concerned that he was not using the leg, and toe dragging some. The palpated the wound and found it did not go to the bone which was good news. He said due to the muscle injury, it wasn't surprising he didn't want to use it. He would put some weight on it standing but would not swing it forward.

They stitched up 3 layers of muscle, and the outer layer as well and put in a drain tube. I went home with bute and antibiotics and a prognosis of MAYBE he would be fine by Nationals.

I moved him over to the stable, which has soft-stall stall mattress flooring, big beautiful stalls and runs off the back of each stall in the arena. He was bright and alert and himself, and I was quite hopeful.

Friends came down and brought me the myraid of essential oils that are helpful for this type of injury and they did a raindrop therapy massage and left me with instructions on how to use the oils. I am doing daily cold hose therapy (2-3x's) and giving him his bute, and antibiotics as well as using some oils daily and he has stable wraps on for support. He is on complete stall rest.

He decided he didn't want to stand outside in the little stall sized turnout while I cleaned, so I decided to move him to another stall. While he was walking, three legged , he stumbled on his good leg (front left). He tried to catch himself with his bad leg, and it buckled. Dan went down hard on his bad shoulder. The pain was excruciating , and very evident by his face and body language. This was two days ago... he layed there a minute, and slowly got up. I was horrified. That night there was a substantial amount of blood drainage from the drain tube. I am thinking he tore the internal stitches.

Yesterday he was still extremely sore. He is NOT using the leg to move, it is curled under and the toe drags when he hops along. He seems unable to even lift it up to get it out of the way. He has figured out how to place the foot... he hops forward, and then leans way back to stretch the leg out . Once the foot is placed he will put weight DOWN on it and use it for some support. Most often however , it just hangs there.

I can palpate the injury site firmly without much response. I can flex the leg and extend the leg and it has a big range of motion without pain response also. I am very concerned there is deeper more complex injury than the laceration. Sure, its deep... but he was expected to improve to weight bearing quickly. I am worried about bone damage, or deeper nerve or soft tissue injury. Dr Everett is out until Monday... I am going to Dan a couple more days and see if anything changes. I would like to take him to the university. Of course that will be very costly and I have barely worked in the last six months (LONG long story) ... working on new employment right now... but am going to check into some resources to see if that is an option. I will get the $'s back from Nationals, just not sure when.

267216_10151543322497503_216148661_n.jpg

(Formerly Known as Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd ....aka Hoofy!)

#2 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

ST

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ouch :( Poor guy !

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Chestnut Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1982 Bay Stallion

Spirit's Finale' HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal ) 2013 Grey filly

#3 VeracityV

VeracityV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

My dad has agreed to lend me the money to take him into the university veterinary clinic. I spoke to the on call vet and he agrees after this time there is something more serious wrong... afraid of a fracture or nerve damage..

I am so scared to find out... worse case scenario, he may never recover....

(Formerly Known as Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd ....aka Hoofy!)

#4 cecelia

cecelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

I hope things improve.  I'm so sorry this happened.

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, keep on the sunny side of life...

#5 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

So sorry Renee.  The muscle injury there shouldn't be an issue, I've seen some nasty wounds there that healed very clean.  Hopefully he has just bruised a nerve or bone, and that is what preventing him from moving around.  Sending healing energy your way!!

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#6 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

I had a mare hit a barbed wire fence during a lightning storm who was injured way worse than this---she came in dragging her right front leg and lame on the opposite hind. She was riding sound again in six weeks. I did lots of hosing of the wound and used a mix of Cutheal and scarlet oil to keep the flies off the area and help it heal up. I hope your boy recovers as quickly as she did and that he has little scarring as a result.

Even if we could keep them armored they would still find a way to cast themselves upside down and need rescuing. Praying for the best possible outcome for your boy.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#7 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm so sorry also that this has happened. I sent you a pm. Sending hopes for a complete healing, however long it takes.

#8 alodi

alodi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Veracity, I am not a vet nor have I worked for one, I have however studied equine skeletal and muscular structure as drawing, painting and cross stitching horses in anatomically correct positions relies heavily on knowing this. With where the wound is I am not surprised he doesn't want to use the stitched muscle to pull that leg forward yet. He cut across the muscle rather than with the grain so to speak. That muscle is the upper level of what I think of as the pulley system that lifts the leg and draws it forward. Its hard to describe witthout a drawing but I will try.

Picture from your photo shared a system of ropes riding across pulleys. At the top the rope is anchored at the withers. It is angled forward ( to the right in your pic ) to the pulley at the point of the shoulder. It rides across that pulley then angles back to the left in your pic to the elbow joint. The 'rope' continues on down to the knee and so on but isnt relevant here. The primary lift of the leg and forward motion initiates in the top stretch of rope. The forward lift and pull use totally different muscles than the weight bearing muscles. That particular muscle is somewhat triangular shaped, narrower at the top than the bottom. The forward edge of it is what was damaged. Soft tissue heals much faster than harder tissues however so he should heal fine as far as muscle tissue goes. My big worry would be if he tore the stitches loose in the deeper layers when he fell causing the muscle to have to take the time to fill in the gap as opposed to just mending back together.

Did you ever figure out what he got hurt on and possibly how? This might give clues to what if any other damage may have occured such as strains or 'hits'. As to possible nerve damage I dont know more than bare basics, but it seems awfully far down on his shoulder to have caused permanent damage.

Good luck and positve energies sent your and Dans way.

Always help someone, you might be the only one who does.

I've been so busy that I don't know if I found a rope or lost a horse.

Yesterday I reached the end of my rope, I just hope there's an Arabian on the other end.

Sometimes lifes aggravations exceed the number of available cuss words.

#9 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

so sorry to hear this

the good news - - several of my rascals have had wounds just this bad looking

Chilli has managed to tear a shoulder open (right after yearling regionals) and then stab himself directly in the chest with some branch or something.   his brother tried to jump a fend as a youngster and cut the entire underside of his foreleg.  all three really nasty ugly wounds.  all three have healed with zero impact on their performance, and maybe a little scar.  the key we found was TRYPSIN.  my mind has gone totally blank but it comes in a spray that your vet definitely will have with him.  we did the cold hose twice a day and sprayed with the "stuff".  it creates this nasty yellow foaming stuff but it is supposed to - - it actually eats away germs. once the healing starts, it is like magic.

that said, I am thinking this is an injury that may trash the Canada idea.  mine did take from one month to three months to totally heal.

let us know how he does

http://www.rrvp.com/...umanversion.htm  here it is................. the wonder drug

#10 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

So sorry to hear this. You are due for a run of good luck now. Healing thoughts and best wishes.

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown