Photo

Pics of my Crabbet mare at trainers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

My mare Evening Fire Ruby had been at the trainers for 5 weeks when these pictures were taken.  I am very pleased with how she is coming along with her initial saddle training. She comes home in the middle of July and I am excited to start riding her.

Any good bit suggestions for a very sensitive mouth?

Attached Thumbnails

• eveningfirerubyridingtrot2june202013.JPG
  • eveningfirerubyridingtrotjune202013.JPG
  • eveningfirerubyridingwalkjune202013.JPG
  • eveningfirerubysidetrotjune292913.JPG
  • eveningfirerubysidewalkjune202013.JPG

MI Royal Flag (*Silver Flag AHS X MI Royal Spring) 1990BM Brazen Angel (*Dandaloo Kadet X Brazen Secret) 2006BM Evening Fire Ruby (Fire Reflection X MI Royal Flag) 2009BM  Evening Kadence Rumba (Kari Lockets Kadence X MI Royal Flag) 2011BM Evening Crabbet Diva (Crabbet Royalty X *Rothlynne Pure Delight) 2012 BM Evening Crabbet Bliss (Crabbet Royalty X *Acabona Blessing) 2012 BM

#2 wyndhaven

wyndhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Very nice looking filly. She looks as if she carries herself well with good balance.

My favorite bits for youngsters are the double jointed snaffles...Dr. Bristol or French Link snaffle. They allow more room for the tongue and don't apply the nut cracker effect.

#3 WildfireArabians

WildfireArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Very lovely!! I use a double jointed Happy Mouth bit (mostly because I don't like putting cold steel in a horse's mouth in winter, and I'm too selfish to want to warm it up with my own hands! ;) )

Kelsa Staffa

Wildifre Arabians - Breeding and training Arabian horses to go the distance!

http://www.wildfirearabians.com/

#4 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for the compliments and bit recommendations. The mare is currently being rode in a rubber single break snaffle but I would like to try a  double jointed rubber snaffle.

MI Royal Flag (*Silver Flag AHS X MI Royal Spring) 1990BM Brazen Angel (*Dandaloo Kadet X Brazen Secret) 2006BM Evening Fire Ruby (Fire Reflection X MI Royal Flag) 2009BM  Evening Kadence Rumba (Kari Lockets Kadence X MI Royal Flag) 2011BM Evening Crabbet Diva (Crabbet Royalty X *Rothlynne Pure Delight) 2012 BM Evening Crabbet Bliss (Crabbet Royalty X *Acabona Blessing) 2012 BM

#5 skymare

skymare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Beautiful mare. Looking good.

Breeder of Pure Crabbet Arabians.
Mill Park Anabella (Mill Park Amastar x Millbanda Bellalina)

Farnaway Golightly(pend) Colt by Senussi.

#6 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Got to ride my mare this week for the first time.  Used a simple rubber snaffle. The mare was great.  Not overly sensitive in my opinion but I mainly ride Arabs and the trainer doesn't. Certainly is nice when you can bring a horse home from the trainers, just hop on and have a good ride. :)

#7 skymare

skymare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

yeah she looks good too. I can't wait to get riding again. so wish i could ride my colt already.

Breeder of Pure Crabbet Arabians.
Mill Park Anabella (Mill Park Amastar x Millbanda Bellalina)

Farnaway Golightly(pend) Colt by Senussi.

#8 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

How wonderful that she is doing so well!

As for bits  I've found that my horses seem to prefer double jointed (french link) snaffles to single jointed ones.  The KK type mouthpieces are my preferred choice due to their anatomic shape that drapes over the tongue.  The type of bit ring can also make a difference -- loose rings have a lot of play so some horses find them "too noisy" (plus the sliding rings can pinch the lips) while for others the extra finesse of all that range of movement is desirable, d-rings and eggbutts are a little less mobile, baucher/b-rings are even steadier, and full cheeks with keepers are the most still.  The kind of metal chosen (or plastic) is also an important factor as is getting the correct size.  The combination of mouthpiece and type of bit ring gives all kinds of options to suit individual horse and rider needs.

There are some informative articles here: Bit Gallery

Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#9 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Have ridden Ruby a couple of times since she has been home. Tried a Passier english saddle but the mare hated it and wanted to rear so back to the western style saddles. I think the mare is gaining weight since she has been home, lol. She was a difficult youngster to keep weight on.

Attached Thumbnails

• rubysideaug2013.jpg
  • rubysidetrotaug2013.jpg