Photo

Leg Conformation Charts-a useful tool

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#11 morganm

morganm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for posting this, great reference chart.

Home of:
multi regional champion RB Cavalier 1991 black stallion(Arabi Fadh Onyx x BA Cerulean Ebony)
reserve national champion AO Breeze 2001 chestnut stallion (Aclsic Raff x Mosha Khaitlyn)
scottsdale top 10/regional top 5 Moments Light 2001 gray mare (Thee Masterpiece x Moments Sequel)

#12 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

ST

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

This goes back to what I as taught in 4-h, many moons ago.  When you look at a horse, especially one to purchase or as a breeding candidate, you start from the ground up.  What I love about Arlene's coverage of our breed's heritage and the major US and international shows is that she doesn't sugar coat.  Whether it's a discussion about the winners, or others who deserve special mention, we are taught to see the horse as a function of its individual pieces.  When she is able, she even somehow gets pics of ancestors to these horses who we have lively discussions about so we can see where the good and bad comes from - how breeding decisions can be lessen or magnify a fault. 

Our breed is known for being a beautiful face . . . why not work toward our breed being known for clean legs and sound, correct way of going?

Good post... couldn't "like" for some reason...

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Chestnut Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1982 Bay Stallion

Spirit's Finale' HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal ) 2013 Grey filly

#13 Katwright

Katwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I was blessed to own and ride an amazing half-arabian geldilng. Peter Cameron told me "Charlie" was his favorite hunter. He always had him do an extra victory pass"so people could see how a hunter should move". Karl Milkolka had me come to him in center ring and asked me before the clinic crowd "what breed of horse is this and where can I get more Like him". Goggle these men if you don't alredy know who they are. From the ground up his left front heal was so high most people would call it club. He could jump a hundred fences a day and do it agian the next day. We did dressage, hunter, brought cattle in from the pasture, competative tral, pleasure trail,and scores of clinics. He had shoes reset every 5-6 weeks for 18 years. It was worth every penny. He died suddenly in the pasture
with his new set of shoes. Alot of amazing horse don't have perfect feet.

Kathy