Photo
- - - - -

indoor arena photo.... help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

I can't get good pics inside an arena with my camera.  It has all the fancy SETTINGS not manual focus, but I do not know what setting is best for indoor sport shots.  WOndered if there was a basic setting to go to on my camera.

I can do inside people with flash, 

outside with sport does great on moving horses.

I'd appreciate any help.

I've tried switching the settings for practice shots, but they look OK on the camera screen and horrible on the computer screen, so doing that does not produce any answers for me.

It is not the quality of silver on your horse, it is the quality of horse under your silver.

#2 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Don't know what your indoor looks like, but in ours you had to close all the door to block out strong side light & odd shadows.

We found it best to shoot at night. (I had the "bright" idea to put in 10 high windows)

Then again, hows the dust?.... could add to your issue

BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967

#3 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Lori, what kind of camera set up are you using?  Camera & more importantly Lens info?  Indoor action is difficult since you need a large aperature (low F/stop) to get the light, but a short shutter speed to freeze the action.  Typically you're going to have to bump up your ISO to increase light sensitivity.

Veterinarian by day, and some nights, and most Saturdays, and every 6th weekend and holidays. Wannabe photographer the rest of the time!

www.wildsidearabians.com

Home of Canadian Top Ten stallion Antham (*Rushan AHSB x WN Sharazada)

#4 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Okey dokey,, hmmm

I have a Victor 3CCD

I do not have a clue what that means.

5 mega pixel still picture and recording.

1x32~32mm F18 037  (the O before the 37 actually looks like it has a strike through it.  I have no clue what it is.

10x optical zoom AF

JVC Video lens

This is all greek to me.

Sounds like I need a more simple camera,, or in person lessons maybe?

edited to add:

sigh, you are a vet, it has long been known to me that vets, are the smartest people on the planet.  Now you know all about cameras too.  How big IS your head?!?!?!?  to hold your enormous brain,,,,I cannot imagine!

oh and it is not MY indoor, it is at horse shows.

It is not the quality of silver on your horse, it is the quality of horse under your silver.

#5 Elisha

Elisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

So we're talking about a compact video camera, not a DSLR.  That complicates things a bit.

This is the important part

32mm F18

assuming that that f/18 is indeed the F-stop (the aperture width)... you need to check your owner's manual and find out if that's adjustable or not, because f/18 is not letting much light in at all.  IME, without a flash, pictures taken (in an indoor) at anything narrower than f/4.5 or so are basically completely useless (either will be too dark or the ISO grain will be amazingly bad).

Owned by Silver (unreg.) and FA Black Flame (NV Beau Bey x Precious Flame) (2010-2015; RIP 💔).

#6 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

The biggest problem is that this is a video camera that can capture stills.  But if you want good stills, you use a still camera, not a video camera.  (and vice versa.....my Canon 7d does shoot video, but I don't rely on it).  Unfortunately, what you get is what you're going to get with that set up, since you have no capacity to change light sensitivity or shutter speed.  Essentially all you're doing is taking a single frame of video.  You might honestly be better off with software that allows you to pull a single frame out of the video rather than trying to take actual stills with that camera, but even still, your quality is going to suffer in low light, high action scenarios.

And as far as my head.....well, its not that big....been picked clean after 10 years in the profession.  Photography is my "escape" from thinking too much....

Veterinarian by day, and some nights, and most Saturdays, and every 6th weekend and holidays. Wannabe photographer the rest of the time!

www.wildsidearabians.com

Home of Canadian Top Ten stallion Antham (*Rushan AHSB x WN Sharazada)