Photo

Anyone ever crossed a Gypsy Vanner with an Arabian?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#51 debs

debs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

A Gypsy/Haflinger just sounds very... strange? They don't sound like they'd mesh very well, if the stallion and mare weren't really good examples of the breed it'd turn out rather bad. If the Gypsy Stallion wasn't of riding type... it'd make it worse.

I personally like the look and functionality of the Gypsy/Arabian Cross. I am looking to produce a horse of cob type which all the gypsy/arabian horses  I have seen on google are. I am psychically disabled to a point need a very calm horse gypsy's are clam and well tempered. Arabian are well tempered too + are extremely smart. I have seen what lack of bone can do to a horse. I have a very talented mare who suffers from horrible arthritis because of her splint bone being fractured. I have chosen a very refined, well breed, small riding type gypsy stallion who has shown in dressage. His head isn't huge, which is something people have expressed worry over, and over again he has roman nose not a true roman head. The mare has good bone, a straight profile and while refined she is sturdy built. 

I am sorry people can't see the use of a cob type horse they're very popular in England and is what I need in a horse. I have only seen a handful of them in the states, and only online no where near where I live. And while you have brought up a few valid points you can get a mishmash horse breed two well breed horses of the same breed together. 

Lots of vanners in the UK, never seen this cross though...

#52 rashind

rashind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Be careful about how you bash my horse (and all the others bred by his breeder)    A great deal of thought and experience went into these crosses with excellent results. 

Care to meet me at X sometime?

Mary Jo,

No one is bashing your horse. Your horse is an example of a successful arab/draft cross. However, I would not consider this type of cross top on my list if I wanted to breed a dressage horse. As many others have posted, when you cross two horses that are very different, it is hard to predict what the foal will look like.

On two different threads, you have seemed to take some comments personally and I do not think that was the intent. I would love to see you post more about your knowledge in dressage, I think a lot of people (myself included) could learn a lot from you.

Shelly Osborne

Shelly Osborne

#53 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I guess if I wanted a lighter, fancier gypsy type cross, I would go to the UK and find a "Native Type".  My understanding from a UK friend that has and shows them is that they are the "Gypsy" type horses crossed with native breeds--Fell, Welsh, etc.  Still have the feathers, but a little less bulk and more action.  I think they are super cool! 

Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#54 GoGaited

GoGaited

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

I do not get the attraction of the feathers.