Photo

Anyone ever crossed a Gypsy Vanner with an Arabian?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 Iona

Iona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

This is what I am breeding this year using and mostly Crabbet mare and a smaller Beautiful Gypsy Stallion( he is only 14'1 and the mare is 14'3.) . I was wondering if anyone has any pictures if they have done this?

#2 destiny

destiny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

Cant say i have seen that cross. Would lime to see a photo too
Buffy MacLeod
http://www.destinyfarm.com

Equine Photographer

Arabians, Half-Arabians, ASB & Homozygous tobianos

Home of Dream Synsation(EF Kingston x Magic Dream daughter(Khemosabi daughter))
Mares include daughters of Bey Shah+, Petrus Carol, *JJ La Estrella, Desperado V, NV Beau Bey, Triple A Basktyn++, DWD Tabasco.

#3 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

What is the purpose of this cross?      What traits are you hoping to get from the Vanner?    From your Arabian?

To have a great riding horse?  

To have a show horse?

What will you do with the resulting foal if it turns out to be really ugly and not very athletic?  

MaryJo

#4 Zoomer

Zoomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have had 2 Gypsy horses boarded at my place and I would not personally cross them with Arabians. They were developed from what I have learned to pull wagons. They are beautiful in their own way but have roman profiles, very coarse features and the way they move is so extremely different from arabians. They hit the ground like a ton of bricks. Their dispositions are sweet but a little pushy and kind of cold blood dull. My clients bought them because they are so docile and they wanted to ride them in parades. Both owners were first time horse owners and in their 50's and just wanted to cruise around.

#5 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I personally do not agree with crossing such phenotypically different types. You may get some nice animals but the risk of getting a mishmash of Gypsy body and head on Arab bone is too great in my opinion. I think if you're looking for the cross--and why I'm not sure I would understand--it should be done in increments rather than Pure Draft to Pure light horse

Veterinarian by day, and some nights, and most Saturdays, and every 6th weekend and holidays. Wannabe photographer the rest of the time!

www.wildsidearabians.com

Home of Canadian Top Ten stallion Antham (*Rushan AHSB x WN Sharazada)

#6 Iona

Iona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

One reason I choose the cross is I wanted to slow down the Arabian a bit, impart bone to the foal. Second we will be keeping the foal regardless if it turns out to be athletic or not. Another reason I wanted this cross was to cool the Arabian down enough my mom who is disabled is able to work with the horse as she gets older. If it turns out not to be overly athletic the horse will simply be a trail horse/companion for me and my mother. Which we have no issues with. I am hoping by using a well tempted athletic mare with a well tempted athletic stallion she will impart her athletic ability and arabian smarts/personality to the foal. The stallion has been crossed out well to other breeds I wouldn't have even considered him if his foals came out wonky I haven't seen a mishmashed foal by him. One reason I even thought of this cross is I saw the result of a draft/Arabian cross and the foal was beautiful. The mare was used lots in cross out to saddle breeds, which are used as cart pullers and move rather differently then Arabians in my opinion.  

Also I have seen super pushy Arabian's before too I think that is just how they have been possibly been raised and been allowed to get away with such things. 

I got bored and found a video of a beautiful Gypsy/Arabian cross. 

If my foal turns out looking anything like this filly I will be getting what I want. 

#7 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I suggest you purchase a suitable horse for your mother.

Its a buyers market.  

To raise your own foal, its going to be at least 4 years until your mom can ride the horse.

Personally I would never cross an Arabian to a Gypsy Vanner for the reasons others have stated.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#8 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I think if you pursue this type of a cross, it is even more important for you to know what your mare passes on and what the stallion passes on.  While it is easy to envision getting just exactly what we want from each part of the equation, it is usually just wishful thinking.  You need to do your homework.  You could actually get exactly the opposite of what you want from each parent.  It's a 50/50 chance either way.  And I agree with CVM - I would not cross two phenotypically different individuals.  In my opinion, the odds are stacked against you getting what you want - too big a risk for me to take with today's market.  And while you have every intention of keeping the horse you produce, life happens and we never know what the future might bring.  I agree with BFF - buy your mother a suitable mount. 

Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#9 Iona

Iona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Currently my mom has a more then suitable mount that is going strong. I have done my research, years of research before I choose a stallion and a mare. I do know what the stallion passes on and what the mare passes on. I was simply curious if anyone had seen the cross before. You say they are phenotypically different, but people cross Arabian's with Andalusian, Quarter Horses, and Saddlebred's. Which one could argue are all phenotypically different then the Arabian. And also move differently then arabian's.  The Andalusian and Saddle-bred can be gaited too. The only horse commonly crossed out to Arabian's that aren't hugely phenotypically different in movement, and body type are Morgan's. 

P.S. I am not trying to be rude but I feel like I needed to point this out, I have never seen two horses built more different and move so different then an Andalusian and an Arabian. They both use their bodies in two different manners. I have worked with both for along time. Breeding quality stallions with the Andalusian's too. 

#10 secondchanceranch

secondchanceranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think there is a reason it's not a common cross.

Dawn Brown
Baida Arabians
Glenside, Saskatchewan, Canada
306-867-2128
dawn.scr@hotmail.com
www.baidaarabians.com