Photo

Day coats making a comeback? 2013 Fashions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 ammyonherown

ammyonherown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

As someone new to this breed/discipline, I've been looking at photos to see what is in style and what looks good. Pretty much every show photo I've found is suits where the jacket and jods match. I think with the exception of a formal day coat in a park horse class I haven't seen a single rider dressed in a coat that didn't match the jods exactly.

http://www.showseaso.../english-suits/ So I was looking at this site and it looks like they are forecasting "contrasting" coats to be in fashion for 2013. Has anyone seen this at recent shows? As someone who is both pear shaped and on a budget this would certainly open up some possibilities. I think the matched coat and jods do give the rider a longer, leaner silhouette and is less distracting from the horse, but I think I could see where you could also put together a nice tonal or near-match and make a good impression.

Any thoughts on the upcoming show ring fashions? Anybody trying something new and exciting this year?

#2 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

See whats hot at Scottsdale and use that as your guide!

#3 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I started to see a little of this in 2012. I would guess that was the beginning of the trend. Also saw several day coats on display at Show Season at Nationals. Hey! I have a bright purple and also a bright red one from the early 90s! Somehow think those may not be coming back in the near future LOL
RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#4 cockermom

cockermom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

I started to see a little of this in 2012. I would guess that was the beginning of the trend. Also saw several day coats on display at Show Season at Nationals. Hey! I have a bright purple and also a bright red one from the early 90s! Somehow think those may not be coming back in the near future LOL

Dressing like Prince in Purple Rain is NEVER out of style.

#5 KMCnYellow

KMCnYellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I did see Ms. Lara Ames in a beautiful day coat at Nationals in one of her EP classes. It was dark with a subtle plaid that picked up the highlights in the horse's coat. I loved it. So I asked around to some of the vendors and they said they think we will start seeing some of the 'subtle, tasteful day coats' making a return. I hope so. I didn't go for the really flamboyant day coats of the early 90's, but I sure like the nice reserved plaids and the darker dupioni silks. I think you are correct about a beautiful suit - it does add elegance, but day coats do add a touch of flair - especially to a dramatic horse.

#6 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I have a bright tangerine coat, I think all we need is a few more riders wearing bright blue, green and yellow and we can be the neon rainbow. The good thing about those coats is you know the judge has to see you ;)

#7 JennyM

JennyM

Equine Concierge (and Mortgage Loan Officer!)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Dressing like Prince in Purple Rain is NEVER out of style.

Thank you for this!!!!! :-D

Lady in Waiting to Vanna
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 ammyonherown

ammyonherown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Who is the photographer for Scottsdale? I want to check out the pictures and see what's new! Not that I can really afford any of it, but it's good to dream! :)

#9 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Who is the photographer for Scottsdale? I want to check out the pictures and see what's new! Not that I can really afford any of it, but it's good to dream! :)

Osteen-Schatzberg http://www.osteenschatzberg.com/
RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#10 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Remember you can watch the show live as well but pics likely better for seeing details.