Photo

Anyone show in Show Hack?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Is there that big of a difference in SH Hack VS MR Hack?

Main ring means classes that are not sport horse or any of the ww events. "Main ring" classes exist at all levels of arabian shows. Its really a slang term.

Boy is that a loaded question!!
My take:
'09 SHN: hunter and dressage types BOTH were used in the TT. The class is to be judged on differences in gaits: not just speed or height of action. So quite frankly ANY horse should be able to judged doing this.
'11 SHN: all I saw win were english horses. I am talking about no hunter types but main ring show hack types that are english horses: VERY fancy high knee movers. IDK if this was just what the judges were looking for that year or if its really changed in sport horse but that is my opinion of what I saw.

I expect english horses to win main ring as I think of it as an english class but sport horse encompasses hunters too and I was disappointed those judges did not place any hunter type movers despite obvious differences in gaits that I saw anyway.

#22 AccentoArabians

AccentoArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Main ring means classes that are not sport horse or any of the ww events. "Main ring" classes exist at all levels of arabian shows. Its really a slang term.

My take:
'09 SHN: hunter and dressage types BOTH were used in the TT. The class is to be judged on differences in gaits: not just speed or height of action. So quite frankly ANY horse should be able to judged doing this.
'11 SHN: all I saw win were english horses. I am talking about no hunter types but main ring show hack types that are english horses: VERY fancy high knee movers. IDK if this was just what the judges were looking for that year or if its really changed in sport horse but that is my opinion of what I saw.

I expect english horses to win main ring as I think of it as an english class but sport horse encompasses hunters too and I was disappointed those judges did not place any hunter type movers despite obvious differences in gaits that I saw anyway.

Hey, when are you going to come over on this side of Lake Michigan and come show in WI?!! =)
KL Lalita (*Kluszyn X Malitaa) --her 2012 filly by Mr Holly Fire (Afire Bey V X Zodiac Matador daughter)
Ames Dutchess (Philander Bey X Contessa Parada (Gai Parada))
RoyalesCarmenJazz (KC Rouge Royale X Beaux Suada)

Petita (Heritage Bey King X Zsa Zsa Ghazi (*El Ghazi))

#23 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Is there that big of a difference in SH Hack VS MR Hack?

A picture says a thousand words:

Attached Thumbnails

• sport horse show hack.jpg
  • Main ring show hack.jpg

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#24 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

Hey, when are you going to come over on this side of Lake Michigan and come show in WI?!! =)

Ha! Ha! I need a horse first!!! Heck, I don't want to show against one of my favorites anyhow!! Mr H!!! It'd be REAL hard to beat him!! Maybe if you let me feed him treats I'd consider it: lol!

#25 AccentoArabians

AccentoArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Ha! Ha! I need a horse first!!! Heck, I don't want to show against one of my favorites anyhow!! Mr H!!! It'd be REAL hard to beat him!! Maybe if you let me feed him treats I'd consider it: lol!

You are welcome to feed him treats anytime! He told me you should get a mare that you can breed in the future! LOL.
KL Lalita (*Kluszyn X Malitaa) --her 2012 filly by Mr Holly Fire (Afire Bey V X Zodiac Matador daughter)

#26 ammyonherown

ammyonherown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm interested in this as well. Does everyone always wear a shadbelly? It looks like rules allow a standard dressage coat/frock as well but all photos I've seen look like the riders are wearing shadbellies. The picture above does show a rider in a dressage coat, is that in a sport horse show hack class?

Also great to see a rider in a helmet. Is that pretty abnormal in the show hack divisions? I'm guessing it's more accepted in the sport horse rings, but has anyone seen a main ring show hack rider in a helmet? Do you think the judges would notice or care?

#27 Grace Petty

Grace Petty

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

In MR classes almost everybody wears a shadbelly and a top hat. You are not counted against if you prefer to wear a helmet.
All about them Wildacts ... EMAW
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
EA Taser Gun, Mag Lite, DJ Koyote +, HAVIK

#28 slightsey

slightsey

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Here's a snippet from AHA:

English Show Hack horses are not necessarily dressage horses nor are they English Pleasure horses. A Show hack must be a well-trained animal showing balance, vitality, animation, presence and quality. Acceptable hack attire is required. This includes a conservative colored coat, breeches and boots. Formal attire of top hat and white breeches and tails can be worn. They are ridden at a normal, collected, and extended walk, trot, canter, and at hand gallop. The show hack horse is judged on manners, performance, quality and conformation.

Main Ring I guess would be considered upper level shows ie, Class A shows.

I have never shown Show Hack. My horse has. I'm hoping to take a stab at it and see how we do. He should do fine. The rider...that might be kind of iffy!

Thanks great response; exactly what I was looking for :)

My take:

Thanks ArabsRgreat! Now what is the difference between dressage horses and hunter pleasure; saddle; rider position; horse's overall look, bits, etc? Thanks. I am trying to determine which horse could do what. How about conformation?

#29 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

You are welcome to feed him treats anytime! He told me you should get a mare that you can breed in the future! LOL.

Now THAT sounds like fun!!

Oh my goodness Slightsey, if you lived close we'd go out to dinner and discuss those ?s for hours!! But to give you a bit to chew on I will give you MY observations: no matter what the rulebooks say this is MY OPINION.

Dressage horses: set up in the bridle higher (more like an english horse COULD if they put his face on the verticle) have more knee action
Main ring hunter horse: sets up pretty high in the bridle, has knee action but not as much as an english horse (hopefully: sometimes I do have to wonder) You will see lots of faces behind the vertical even tho this is considered incorrect
Sport horse hunter horse (open h/j hunter horse): flatter over the neck, holds the head lower and I see lots of noses sticking out so not sure if they want their faces on the vertical or just ahead: flatter movement: not much knee

Conformation: when I think of a sport horse hunter I think of a rectangle with the long side against the ground. When I think of a dressage horse I think more upright and elevated: in the front end. (high set neck too)

Cassie: got any show pictures of Mr Holly Fire u/s? He is a STUNNING show hack horse (more of an english type horse) that has a national show record in main ring show hack.

My main suggestion to you would be watch Scottsdale on line: its coming up soon. Not sure of the dates. Watch the classes: even if they don't win MOST at that show are what they're looking for in AHA shows in the divisions you will see them showing in.

Others may chip in and give their opinions too. :)

#30 AccentoArabians

AccentoArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Now THAT sounds like fun!!

Oh my goodness Slightsey, if you lived close we'd go out to dinner and discuss those ?s for hours!! But to give you a bit to chew on I will give you MY observations: no matter what the rulebooks say this is MY OPINION.

Dressage horses: set up in the bridle higher (more like an english horse COULD if they put his face on the verticle) have more knee action
Main ring hunter horse: sets up pretty high in the bridle, has knee action but not as much as an english horse (hopefully: sometimes I do have to wonder) You will see lots of faces behind the vertical even tho this is considered incorrect
Sport horse hunter horse (open h/j hunter horse): flatter over the neck, holds the head lower and I see lots of noses sticking out so not sure if they want their faces on the vertical or just ahead: flatter movement: not much knee

Conformation: when I think of a sport horse hunter I think of a rectangle with the long side against the ground. When I think of a dressage horse I think more upright and elevated: in the front end. (high set neck too)

Cassie: got any show pictures of Mr Holly Fire u/s? He is a STUNNING show hack horse (more of an english type horse) that has a national show record in main ring show hack.

My main suggestion to you would be watch Scottsdale on line: its coming up soon. Not sure of the dates. Watch the classes: even if they don't win MOST at that show are what they're looking for in AHA shows in the divisions you will see them showing in.

Others may chip in and give their opinions too. :)

Becky,

I will try to find a decent pic of him doing his Show Hack thing under saddle. ;)

You did a good job of describing the main points to Slightsey! You have been in the ring once or twice though!

I love this snippet : "hopefully: sometimes I do have to wonder", in regards to Hunter. I'm with ya on that one!

Does anyone know if they count against you for coffee stains on your breeches? I feel like this is going to happen to me before a class...