Photo

If Raffles were alive today would you breed to him?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Check out this horse in the Gallery. He is a Raffles great grandson and shows an uncanny resemblance to him. Of course that could be attributed to his many crosses to Skowronek. So, is this a horse you would use?? He certainly has some very good qualities in addition to his looking very much like Raffles.

http://forums.arabia...silvr-talisman/

Enjoy!!

Regards,
Peter

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#2 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Never !

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#3 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

If Raffles were alive today, most modern breeders would consider him ugly and too small, and would not dream of using him. Shame, that.

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#4 rroyalee

rroyalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Most of my horses are multiple times Raffles....LOVE that horse! Would use him on every mare I own. Fantastic minds....and I love short horses. :)

Double Starz Ranch
Senior stallion - Allahs Sukkar Abiad
Junior stallion - Royale Sumernitz
www.doublestarzranch.com

#5 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Raffles wouldn't have been so small if he had been measured with a "modern" measuring stick. ;)

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#6 rroyalee

rroyalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

LOL He would have been 15.2 by today's measuring stick. :D

Double Starz Ranch
Senior stallion - Allahs Sukkar Abiad
Junior stallion - Royale Sumernitz
www.doublestarzranch.com

#7 Maigray

Maigray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

If he had a superior performance record, or incredible movement, or had produced those qualities..maybe. But he would have to do something to set him apart from the crowd.

#8 carolyn thompson

carolyn thompson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

My 14.2 horses are all at least 16 hands when I try to mount from the ground using the stirrup instead of a mounting block.

#9 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

If he had a superior performance record, or incredible movement, or had produced those qualities..maybe. But he would have to do something to set him apart from the crowd.

What would you consider a superior performance record? Most of the Raffles bred horses that I have admired were from either Shalimar or Al-Marah and performed in endurance. Let me word the thread differently. Knowing what you know about Raffles now, if by some miracle he were available today would you use him? If not why? If yes why? What did a horse like Raffles have to offer in the opinion of the posters on here. What didn't you like?

Could he be a valuable addition almost 60 years after his last foal was born?

Regards,
Peter

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#10 beyfan

beyfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I would use him in a flash - am in fact seriously considering a heavily Raffles bred colt for my own program. These horses were known for their great minds, and this guy seems like he has the classic compact build, nice deep chest and short wedgy face that I so love. If I were to fault his head I think it could have a bit more fo a dish to it, but it still doesn't suggest anything other then Arabian to me. Hard to judge perfectly by the limited number of pictures, but this guy looks to me like he could take the beating of a many-mile endurance ride and come through happy. Sad to me that the average modern-bred Arab looks more like a Saddlebred now.