Photo

ROUND BALE HAY NETS? GOOD OR BAD COMMENTS.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 ShadesOfGoldArabians

ShadesOfGoldArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

i have been doing some research on the internet trying to figure out a way to reduce the wasted hay that is a major problem when feeding big round bales of hay. I came across hay nets. They are almost $200 each. Supposedly you can reduce your hay usage by 1/3 - 1/2 using these nets because the horses dont pull huge amounts out at a time and scatter it all over the ground. All of the comments on thier websites from customers are positive, of course. But I want to hear from anyone who has used them to see what the real story is. Apparently the squares are less than 2 x 2" and I just have a hard time believing that this is adequate. I also have seen some auctions on e-bay that are advertising volley ball nets as hay nets also. They have up to 4x4" squares available. And of course they are about 10 times cheaper. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Sorrry if this is the wrong place to post this but with the prices of hay (mine has gone from $35 per 1800 pound bale up to $70 a bale) that this is a hot topic because many people, like me, may not even be aware they exist. And if we can find someone that has used the cheaper volley ball nets everyone should be able to afford to get at least one to try out. I am sure you would have to buy the heavy duty ones as opposed to the light duty ones.

. 8102315.jpg

SHADES OF GOLD ARABIANS & PINTABIANS

HOME OF THE HIGHEST PERCENT ARABIAN CREMELLO IN THE WORLD

THE GO TO PLACE FOR GORGEOUS HIGH PERCENT ARABIAN DILUTES AND DOUBLE DILUTES

http://www.goldarabians.com

#2 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

I haven't used the round bale hay nets, but I have used regular haynets in the trailer that have the smaller holes - 2"x2". The horses that ate well in the trailer before, still eat well out of these. I do think it slows them down a bit, but I know that I don't have nearly as much hay on the floor of the trailer as I do with the regular ones. And the slowing down of emptying the bag is probably because they aren't pulling it out to drop it, they pull it out and its in their mouth to eat. So I can see where the small holes are more beneficial.

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#3 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

for pasture feeding these sound like an accident waiting to happen

#4 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

Ditto what siiamese said...

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1983 Stallion

Jamaalah Spirit HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal by *Dakar El Jamaal ) 2013 filly

#5 dbdg

dbdg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

The picture shown has a net in a feeder. I doubt that you would have a problem with getting a hoof caught with that set up. A 2" x 2" is a small enough opening that it would be dificult for the average horse to get caught. I would think you would absolutely have to keep the bale covered for equine consumption.

ETA: You certainly wouldn't be able to use these with a shod horse without a feeder for sure!

Dianna B.

Its an equipment problem.... there's a nut loose in the saddle

#6 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

I was thinking more like a silly horse getting part of the net stuck between its teeth... seen that happen before. I use hay BAGS not nets.

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1983 Stallion

Jamaalah Spirit HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal by *Dakar El Jamaal ) 2013 filly

#7 Oak Lawn Arabians

Oak Lawn Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

I bought some thick, marine netting and made my own. No chance at horses getting it stuck in their teeth as it is as thick as clothes line. :) Works the best out of anything I have tried so far for low waste and gluttons who like to hoover the hay.

Oak Lawn Arabians
Carrie and Alex Stewart
Home of CT Saint Patrick, Dancin InThe Sand AND Beaudacious Boogie OLA, 2009 Region 15 Top 5 SHIH Mares ATH Open
"Using Bloodlines of the Past, To Create Beautiful Athletes of the Future!"

#8 ShadowfaxArabians

ShadowfaxArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

My farrier swears by them. I would be scared to use 4x4" holes because body parts could possibly get caught in it. I really want to get some but don't have means to move round bales yet. I will probably use old hockey nets an sew my own.
God Bless,
Kay

Shadowfax Arabians
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God and who have been called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28

#9 AccentoArabians

AccentoArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Go with Cinchnet. (MN based company) Two friends bought them this year and LOVE them. No one gets hurt with a hoof getting stuck etc. Keeps a lot of hay from being wasted...and with these prices no one can afford to have hay wasted. Very durable. I am defintely getting one of my own as well. Great for keeping the horses occupied and not over endulgeing as well, which is better for their digestive systems and overall health.

http://cinchchix.com...h-products.html
KL Lalita (*Kluszyn X Malitaa) --her 2012 filly by Mr Holly Fire (Afire Bey V X Zodiac Matador daughter)
Ames Dutchess (Philander Bey X Contessa Parada (Gai Parada))
RoyalesCarmenJazz (KC Rouge Royale X Beaux Suada)

Petita (Heritage Bey King X Zsa Zsa Ghazi (*El Ghazi))

#10 D Taylor

D Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Owning a bale climber I opted out for big bale nets. Even with this small hole net I picture a shoe heel getting caught in my mind and trouble.

And yes the horse climbs over a yoked bale feeder and into the big bale. So adding the combo of both is useless to me.Then sometimes the herd and he consume the bale with him inside....and he can not get back out. I have dismantled the ring many times to free him soooooooo I switched to big square bales (3x3) and flake the herd as needs be. No waste. Fewer weight issues.

Never saw the idiot climb in. He does it over night. Can not imagine but he has to practically jump over. Then in the morning he would be standing like a mountain goat up the side of the bale happily munching his heart out!