Photo

Your Favorite Non-Arab Stallion for Arab mares?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 HRNArabians

HRNArabians

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Please share, by name if possible, your favorite Half Arabian cross. SPECIFICALLY your favorite NON-ARAB stallion crossed onto Arabian mares.

I'm interested to see what people are producing. Have thought about trying a non-Arab stallion for some time but would like to see what others are producing. I know the Non-Arab stallion on Arab mare is a very different cross than an Arab stallion on a non-Arab mare....that is why I'm being specific here.
Cheers, Amanda http://www.honeysucklerosenorth.com

#2 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,052 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

:D I have a couple of favorites. The first is my filly's sire, Elite Hanoverian stallion Escudo II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9y_8JEjEsY

My filly, Excepchanel (Escudo II x Caraechstrodinair)
Reg.3 Chanel 9785.jpg

The next is Elite Hanoverian stallion Landkonig, sire of this years HA Hanoverian colt Landinair

AHS Inspection 5930.jpg

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#3 SportArab

SportArab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Really depends on what you want to produce. I've got lots of experience crossing warmblood stallions on arab mares. I chose stallions that were similar in type to the mares, albeit bigger and with a bit more bounce to their gaits. That strategy has worked well.

Co-author of Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

www.duelforthecrown.com

Owner: Fiery Run Farm, breeding beautiful athletes and standing Pavvo (*Erros x Khassiopeia)

www.fieryrunfarm.com

#4 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

It really all depends on the phenotype of your mare and what you are trying to breed for... hunter, dressage etc. etc. I have seen some nice Quarabs over the years, but my personal interest is in the sporthorse crosses. Take a look at the Tobruk Farm half-Arabs...they obviously know what they are doing. However the cross I would really like to try on my own Amurath Baikal daughter is the Canadian Trakehner stallion Asher, winner himself of the Governor-Generals Cup at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto and sire of Cup winners, which is about as good as it gets in Canadian sporthorse breeding. Very very correct sporthorse with substance, but his 'look', in my opinion, also reflects his own Arab ancestry...

Apparently there is also a Sir Wanabi colt out of an Aladdin bred Arab mare this year who is just fabulous. When the Arab crosses work they are spectacular...but crossing a typey Arab with a heavier sporthorse type who is phenotypically quite different always carries the risk that the genetic lottery will give you the wrong parts...

Sorry Sport Arab. We cross-posted...

#5 PolishAddict

PolishAddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

SportArab & Zai,

If one was to cross an arabian with a thoroughbred for the HA Sporthorse arena, would one cross the Arab stallion or the Arab mare to the thoroughbred for the best possible result? Horse & Rider did an amazing article a while back on Arab crosses and the examples they used were Arab stallions on different breeds of mares.

Not wanting to highjack the thread.....

#6 luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

I always loved a stallion Lynn Palm had, a bay by Rugged Lark. What a gentleman and a beauty! Don't know if he is still alive or not.

#7 PolishAddict

PolishAddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I believe you are refering to the stallion My Royal Lark (big blaze, 3 white socks). He sadly passed away in 2005. An amazing individual.

#8 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Traditionally in Europe it was Arab stallion over Thoroughbred or warmblood mare...and a smaller stallion over a larger broodmare facilitates foaling. A 14 hand mare and a 17.2 hand stallion might not be the best choice. However Biddesden Stud in the UK, which has produced some of the world's best sport anglos breeds both ways. One could argue endlessly about whether the mare imparts more than 50% to the foal but I don't think it is a big issue.

I also think economics plays a part. These days it makes more sense to use larger Arab mares for the warmblood crosses as a registered and approved warmblood foal from a warmblood mare would tend to be worth quite a bit more than most half-Arab crosses. I have a KWPN mare and I agonize about this....Furthermore a decent Arab mare is generally cheaper to purchase than a similar quality warmblood mare. Warmblood stud fees also tend to be much more reasonable...It is not as clearcut for Thoroughbreds as there are currently lots of TB mares available at very low prices at least in this part of the country...so it might be more advantageous to use an Arab stallion in that case. I could be flamed on this but this is my personal experience....

#9 SportArab

SportArab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Traditionally in Europe it was Arab stallion over Thoroughbred or warmblood mare...and a smaller stallion over a larger broodmare facilitates foaling. A 14 hand mare and a 17.2 hand stallion might not be the best choice. However Biddesden Stud in the UK, which has produced some of the world's best sport anglos breeds both ways. One could argue endlessly about whether the mare imparts more than 50% to the foal but I don't think it is a big issue.

I also think economics plays a part. These days it makes more sense to use larger Arab mares for the warmblood crosses as a registered and approved warmblood foal from a warmblood mare would tend to be worth quite a bit more than most half-Arab crosses. I have a KWPN mare and I agonize about this....Furthermore a decent Arab mare is generally cheaper to purchase than a similar quality warmblood mare. Warmblood stud fees also tend to be much more reasonable...It is not as clearcut for Thoroughbreds as there are currently lots of TB mares available at very low prices at least in this part of the country...so it might be more advantageous to use an Arab stallion in that case. I could be flamed on this but this is my personal experience....

I agree that from an economics point of view it makes much more sense to breed larger, sport type Arabian mares to warmblood stallions, rather than vice versa for the reasons stated above. Warmblood stallions are a much better bang for the buck - you can get a breeding to a very accomplished stallion for a fraction of what you'd pay for an average Arab stallion. And nice warmblood mares are very expensive. I've now got four really lovely Oldenburg mares by crossing my sport type mares on warmblood stallions. I couldn't have afforded to buy them.

My own personal theory added to the mix is that by putting the Arab blood on the bottom, you might be getting better endurance since the mitochondria come only from the mare. And the mitochondria are the power plants of the cells.

Co-author of Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

www.duelforthecrown.com

Owner: Fiery Run Farm, breeding beautiful athletes and standing Pavvo (*Erros x Khassiopeia)

www.fieryrunfarm.com

#10 PolishAddict

PolishAddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Zai and SportArab,

You both state that larger, sport type Arabian mares would make more sense. So in your opinion would the Polish bred mares, as a whole; fair better than other strains of Arabians? Since, I am looking at aquiring Polish bred mares this might be an avenue that I would consider in the future.