Photo

Why is my horse getting spots?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kira

Kira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

8 years ago when I got Kira, the first time I bathed her I found one or two white spots on her with pink skin. They are dime sized at most. Every year when I bathe her I seem to find more. I thought for a long time that I was just not remembering them, or didn't notice them before. But this year, she doesn't even have to be wet to find new ones. Almost all of them are nearly perfect circles anywhere from dime sized to quarter sized. There are a LOT more of them this year. And it isn't that they are just getting easier to notice, because she is grey, and getting lighter every year, so they should be HARDER to notice. One of the new ones was even visible this past winter with her winter woolies on. Is this just some weird color thing, or some kind of pigment disorder or ???????
Jan Carson
Negoukira CDS (Taliesin X RD Negoukir); Bumble Shetland Hellian; Keegan - Siberian Huskey;
Sadie Border Collie/Malamute 1997-2012. RIP Sadie Mae!

#2 TripleHFarm

TripleHFarm

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

i'd guess pigmant
BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare, SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare, NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL, SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion, NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare, ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare, SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly, SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#3 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Sounds like birdcatcher spots, its just that on a grey they aren't regularly visible cause the hair is still white.

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#4 D Taylor

D Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Goggle leucoderma.

#5 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Pinking syndrome

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#6 windyacres

windyacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

Feed her Vitamin E and Selenium, it should help. My 24 year old pinto gelding got them on his face when he was 8 yrs old and I fed him Vitamin E and Selenium and they gradually went away. He never had them again. Worth a try.
Pam

#7 Kira

Kira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info. She gets Selenium already - we are in the Northwest where Selenium supplementation is a must. A couple of years ago she got a couple of pink spots around one eye. At first I thought they were scrapes, but they stayed. They are slowly turning back to black, so I'm guessing the body spots are related to these. Do the Birdcatcher spots have pink skin under them, or are they just white hair? I'm kind of leaning towards leucoderma, which I assume is the same as 'pinking syndrome'.
Jan Carson
Negoukira CDS (Taliesin X RD Negoukir); Bumble Shetland Hellian; Keegan - Siberian Huskey;
Sadie Border Collie/Malamute 1997-2012. RIP Sadie Mae!

#8 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Leukoderma is about the same as pinking syndrome. From what I understand pinking is genetic and a vet told me a few years ago that if the pink is only on the face it is probably nutritional but if they also have body spots then most likely genetic.
WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and all around good guy. AWA GLORIOUS+/ multiple Regional Champion and mult. SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, CA LAILAH- SHN Top 10
WR SHADDO HAWK- Multi Regional Champion and SHN Top 10 (3rd) SHIH
MAGNIFICO ZF- Regional Champion halter and SHN Reserve Champion SHIH yearling

#9 D Taylor

D Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

You might have more luck seaching Appaloosa forums and threads as progessive cases of leucoderma are more common in that breed. But from what I understand genetics, sun damage, onchocerca infestations and a few more things can contribute to leucoderma.

I have seen it in other breeds. Generally grey horses and notably some horses that also had sweet itch. So for me just another reason to not adhere totally to FEC and deworm per results as onchocerca (neck thread worms) and several other parasites not found by FEC exist and proliferate here.

Also saw it decades ago in a solid chest nut appy mare. At 10 she started getting tiny white dots all over her body. Owner was thrilled....but I fear she had more going on than being a "late bloomer" so to speak.

Does your horse have other skin issues?

#10 chalice

chalice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Can you post a picture of some of these spots?