Photo

Halter horse must be ridden?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#11 mrs epson

mrs epson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

I was unaware the requirement no longer exists, though not surprised. From my point of view a halter horse is being judged to be confirmationly correct. So expecting they are capable of being ridden shouldn't be an issue. It isn't like they had to be actively promoted under saddle.
Laura

I tend to think that's a silly statement. However I doubt there are many persons who have saddle horses that couldn't enter the halter arena at some point to qualify. so go for!

I think maybe you don't understand the qualification requirements when this ruling was in effect.
Laura

You think maybe I didn't understand the qualifications? With all due respect, are you serious?
www.unfetteredarabians.com

"My hubby is one sexy man!" hahahahah very funny Rick!

#12 jettanna

jettanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

Sometime in my past I was once told that a stallion had to prove its worth 3 ways , Correct conformation = halter wins, Athletic ability = Performance wins and the ability to pass on those traits to his get = progeny that can win at halter or performance or both . Shouldn't that be the goal for our breeding stock ?
Kathy

Posted Image

#13 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

I think it should be encouraged to show in both halter and performance. My problem is if they try to tell me I have to show my horse in one division before I am allowed to show in a completely unrelated one. Quite frankly, we need less rules not more and we need to encourage participation not discourage it by making it more difficult for those that do still want to show.

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and SHN top 10, MA Razcals Glori SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, Montana Athena SHN Reserve Champion
WR SHADDO HAWK+++/- Multi Regional Champion and multiple SHN Top 10
MAGNIFICO ZF-multiple Regional Champion, SHN Reserve Champion, multiple USN top 10

#14 Laura

Laura

Laura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

It was merely a requirement they be shown under saddle to qualify. It was Not a requirement they show under saddle at Nationals.

#15 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

I am pretty sure they had to RIBBON in a performance class to qualify, is that not so?

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#16 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

They did have to ribbon, but it became a joke. They would go to tiny shows and show in whatever class did not have any entries, then I think they changed it to you have to pin in the top 50% of the class so many would pad the class with a 2nd horse. Some of the BNTs took to having their own shows or train rides, in fact I think Magnum Psyche's performance qualification came from completing a trail ride. If I remember correctly one of the mares lost her National Championship over the performance requirement and the owners of the Reserve Champion mare sued AHA.

Granted there were some that legitimately did earn their performance qualification, but I feel many of those horses would have been shown performance any how.

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and SHN top 10, MA Razcals Glori SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, Montana Athena SHN Reserve Champion
WR SHADDO HAWK+++/- Multi Regional Champion and multiple SHN Top 10
MAGNIFICO ZF-multiple Regional Champion, SHN Reserve Champion, multiple USN top 10

#17 Kailicia'sGirl

Kailicia'sGirl

PGN Kailicia( Kaiyoum x PGN Solataire)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

I agree, if performance only people want halter only people to show performance why could it not be reversed onto the performance people to show halter too? AHA doesn't need any more rules. Yes, horses should do halter and performance, but forcing someone to do it isn't wise IMO. All of our yearlings show halter, then performance. i have two that showed halter this year and both are geared towards the Futurities in both halter and performance. But as it is my money, and it does cost immense training, show and trailering fees to each and every show, I like to be able to choose exactly what they show in...

Penny Lane Arabians https://www.facebook...152855434728757

Stallions At Stud: U.S & CDN Res. National Champion Futurity Colt, Sol Debut (x Solstice) 

The Mares: Lady Versace (Versace), Swanah (Versace), FS Betty Grable (Padrons Psyche), Flames Rhapsody (RIP - 1990-2015), PGN Show NTell+ (Showkayce+), Showanna (Showkayce+), Star Of The Sshow (Showkayce+), Ezalia (Eden C), Fleur De Lune (Sfafe Pseude), S Justabella (Justafire DGL) and the Queen - Baskskokhette+.

#18 Laura

Laura

Laura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I personally have no problem with National qualifications requireing horses having been in performance. People being people will always find a way to shorten the process. However, I sure can get behind a horse like Noble Express, who can successfully do both. I relize it is more time consuming. However, I really like the idea of seeing our older boys in the winners circle. Give the youngsters a chance to grow and mature.
Laura :D

Oh and another thought. I also have no problem with the top 5 (maybe ten) horses having their saddles pulled of and stood in bridle. There's you halter! I personally think it would just make the class more exciting. And would possibly allow us to see the horses without the hard stand. Just a thought.Me again thinking outloud!

#19 TripleHFarm

TripleHFarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

It's pretty simple DON"T BUY breeding's to unbroke stallions.

#20 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I personally have no problem with National qualifications requireing horses having been in performance. People being people will always find a way to shorten the process. However, I sure can get behind a horse like Noble Express, who can successfully do both. I relize it is more time consuming. However, I really like the idea of seeing our older boys in the winners circle. Give the youngsters a chance to grow and mature.
Laura :D

Oh and another thought. I also have no problem with the top 5 (maybe ten) horses having their saddles pulled of and stood in bridle. There's you halter! I personally think it would just make the class more exciting. And would possibly allow us to see the horses without the hard stand. Just a thought.Me again thinking outloud!

Then you're going evaluate the high placing horses and perhaps say "OMG, the head isn't extra type, OMG, there is white sclera, OMG the neck isn't long enough or the throatlatch isn't fine enough, OMG a leg is isn't perfectly straight, OMG the horse has a club foot, OMG, the croup isn't level one bit, but rounded, or sloped off and whatever else one can come up with".
There are MANY, MANY highly successful, fabulous performance horses, all divsions with more than one of the OMG's. So this will never happen IMO.

And likewise, there are MANY MANY highly successful halter horses that could never compete WELL at high performance levels.... , either mentally, or physically, they just can't to the job... so then what?

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...