Photo

A "Gaited" Arabian?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I went to look at an Arabian mare today for the heck of it...she was cheap enough and close enough, but greenbroke and 10 with interesting bloodlines. She was a good girl at the walk and trot undersaddle, bucky at the canter because she really didn't know what it was I wanted. But overall a very smooth ride...

She had these very strange "in between" gaits like a gaited horse would--I know nothing about gaited horses. It wasn't a lameness thing which at first I thought it could be because it was not a normal w/t/c, but it was intentional and very rhythmical and she really engaged her hind end and back in order to do it. There was one that I would say was in between w/t and then between t/c. My friends who were observing said she looked like a gaited type horse when she was doing this, and she did not look like it was a lameness.

I know there was a thread here recently on the possibility of gaited Arabians, so I thought I would post the information here so people could share their opinions. Also, I am not sure she is the right horse for me, but she may be for someone else. She was a very big girl at 15.2 and had an excellent, high set neck. I would complain that her shoulder was a little straight and her hip could be longer, but she was a nice temperament and it did not inhibit her athletic ability. It looks like she may have had a few foals in the past, can someone who has datasource look this up for me? PM me and I will provide her registered name. I may pick her up to finish out and pass along so that she can have a good future, I'm not sure yet.

#2 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Some of the horses that were around early on were touted as being gaited. *Raseyn was one. There have been some I have had on that I thought would be easy to gait. But did not go there...
MaryJo

#3 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Maryjo, do you think that training a horse that can gait would be difficult when it comes to showing in a traditional discipline, like dressage?

#4 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

My mums stallion is gaited...I'm not sure what the actual term is for it but he does the running walk?, which he can do for hours and won us a few champange rides, and another one that feels like we are gliding. They feel almost the same but we were told that they were 100% different by a gaited horse trainer. All his foals so far can also do it.

We lightly showed him dressage and hunter, with no issues. He was also started under saddle for country pleasure. His foals have been used for western pleasure, cow horse, saddle seat, hunter over fences, dressage, halter, showmanship, and for trail riding. They will all kick into the running walk out on trails, which none of their owners have complained about as its so smooth.

#5 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have also seen horses kind of look like they were gaiting, when in reality, they weren't strong enough to maintain a true walk, trot or canter. There can also be neuro, or other physical reasons that they aren't moving truely. My boss's morgan has a running walk when he is unfit, but when he was fighting with anaplasmosis, he did it more often.

#6 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,856 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

My Crabbet-bred gelding, SA Firefoxx, will do a true running walk. He is sound and healthy. Wish I were enough of a trainer to get him to prefer this gait, what a boon on the endurance trail!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#7 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

I've had several purebred that did a running walk....was a great 4th gait for distance riding.
As for training for a WTC.... I had no issues

Some horses in the gaited breeds have a lot of trouble trotting....some do not..

I had one purebred (heavy Crabbet) that would not collect up at the trot....she would go into a true fox trot (head bob & all)....
but did she had an excellent extended trot.... then again she was just strange... always wondered if she was dropped on her head at birth!!!!
BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967

#8 infiniteloop

infiniteloop

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi,
There appears to be a lot of recent posts on this subject. I'm actually looking for an arabian that gaits. Does anyone know of breeders on the West Coast who breed TWH or MFT with arabians? I have a bad back, so prefer a gaited horse. But I am looking for one with more endurance.
thx,
brad

#9 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

I know that a lot of Peruvian Paso breeders are located on the west coast. Peruvian Paso horses are smaller than TWH or MFT and have a very nice running walk. Peruvian Paso horses were bred to travel for long distances in the Andes mountains in South America, so they would probably do well in endurance. I believe that an Arabian stallion crossed on a Peruvian Paso mare would probably produce a gaited Half-Arabian.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE
When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun!!

#10 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Silver Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,856 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Lorna, having had LOTS of experience with Peruvians (had my first one in Panama in 1964), I have to say that much as I love them, American breeders for the most part have ignored soundness and disposition for the sake of show ring wins, among other things. Peruvians are prone to suspensory tendon problems, also, and you have to be VERY careful when buying within this breed.
That being said, I do think you are right, crossing a really good Arabian stallion on a proven and sound Peruvian mare could indeed produce an outstanding endurance individual.
Anyone who wants to try that, PM me, I have a mare candidate for you.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg