Photo

ATTN Oklahoma Horse Owners: Hows the Hay?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

We are, for the first time, looking at getting hay outside our area (northwest Arkansas). This is really difficult, as it seems every time we've bought hay sight-unseen it has been far below the stated quality. We usually have an easy time getting hay locally but have had hardly any rain again this year, so I wanted to check with ya'll from Oklahoma & see what the hay situation is in your neck of the woods. It seems like every time we are supposed to get rain, ya'll in Oklahoma get it & it quits before it hits the line! hahaha So am reallllllyyyy hoping someone has a good reliable source of bermuda hay we can chat about. You can PM if you don't want the whole world to see your source, hahaha

#2 Envestment

Envestment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hi,
We live in eastern OK and the hay here is great. It is hard to find small squares but the round bales are all over the place. I would suggest you look on the Tulsa Craig's list for ads. There are a couple of very "dirty dealers" out there so "google" the person you are buying from before shelling out cash. Also I would not send money until the hay shows up. This trick cost a couple of my friends dearly last year. I will be happy to keep a look out for you.

Bonnie
Bonnie Jameson
CROSSWIND ARABIANS
Webbers Falls, OK
CrosswindArabs@aol.com
Our home is protected by God and a gun"

#3 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have bought my hay for winter, it is prairie grass of decent quality but not stellar and not bermuda. Siiiiigh, another long year of feeding up on concentrates to make sure the nutrition is there......Still trying to find decent round bales locally for a decent price. It's hotter than the hinges already and getting hotter and we are down on rain still, so ...... It ain't pretty!

Pat Lowe

#4 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Guess I shoulda clarified - we are looking for small squares or 4x4x8 large squares - rarely are the round bales nice & soft like the squares 'cuz they have to let it grow so long to bale it round. :( Have been checking CL for Tulsa, Springfield MO & Ft Smith AR & havent seen many ads for small squares. Seems like every one of our growers here locally has sold out for development the last few years. :( Am getting some in tonight that's bermuda mix, hoping it is good stuff so we can get more! I'm just getting 100 right now to see how it is - no sense filling the barn with crappy hay that no one will eat! hahaha

#5 VanAlma

VanAlma

Van Alma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

I see squares all the time on the Fort Smith CL - many of which are out of Eastern OK - but not all.
Just for conversation: Bermuda is not necessarily the best horse hay. Mixed grass is better for winter keeping in my experience. I guess, coming form the north where we never wanted fine grass for horse hay, I have experienced the benefits of mixed, coarse grass, including Johnson, as a better option. To each their own ;) I still prefer to see mixed grasses in all my hay and my horses do better on it. Straight Bermuda doesn't turn my head even though I've been told it is supposed to. It's a consideration and often cheaper down here.
The Waldron/Mena area has had a good amount of rain and hayed in late April and the current, second cutting, in general, looks good. If I find a specific vendor who is selling outside their normal customers, I'll post.

#6 Envestment

Envestment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

We will have small squares, bermuda (possible mixed but NO Fescue). Baling in the next few days. Estimated to be $4 per bale in the field. I don't have the price yet for barn stored. Location is about 20 miles south of Muskogee, near intersection of 1-40 and Muskogee Turnpike.
Bonnie Jameson
CROSSWIND ARABIANS
Webbers Falls, OK
CrosswindArabs@aol.com

#7 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

@ Bonnie, do you have a hauler there that could deliver to NW Arkansas? How many bales will ya'll have available?

#8 Envestment

Envestment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Sorry I am a bit slow, I will check and I do believe their may be hauling available. Do you know how many bales you need?
Bonnie Jameson
CROSSWIND ARABIANS
Webbers Falls, OK
CrosswindArabs@aol.com

#9 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Bonnie, could you post or send a photo? You can email it to me if you can't post here: Missouri Passage @ yahoo. com Not that I don't trust you or anything but we just got burned on a load of craaaapppppyyyyy hay that was supposed to be " just wonderful, horses love it". Ugh - it is mostly weeds!! Have a couple other sources but we're gonna go look at it first. Hate throwing away good $$ on bad hay! Ugh!