28 replies to this topic

#1 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Has anyone had experience with this? I just have NO LUCK when it comes to horses and bizarre medical problems. First Kyng Me's issues...now this! Sonomma has a growth on his penis that is about the size of a quarter. It is on the head of his penis and is causing his urethra to bulge out. He can pee just fine and he will retract it if he is bothered, but prefers to leave it dropped. It is NOT a bean or infection in the area, my trainer and I drugged him and tried to see if it was in the pocket where a bean can form. Nope. It looks like it hurts and is irritated in one area and bleeding. :( Omg. Leave it to me to have a horse with penis cancer, requiring surgery...no matter what it is, I am sure it will need removal. I just started a new job and haven't had a paycheck in over a month (Micheala, I know how you feel!). He is at my trainers right now since I am working way too much to deal with whatever it is he will need done along with care. Trying to get my favorite vet scheduled (he is far superior than others in the area).

Anyone have experience with this? Diagnosis? Treatment? Cost? Outcome?

#2 deserthorsewoman

deserthorsewoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Without seeing it I'd say, from your description, it's a sarkoid. I had a gelding with several, the biggest one of course right there. It didn't seem to hinder any if his "functions", so I was told to not mess with it, unless it's bleeding. I put ointment and in summer Swat on it. It seemed to grow and get smaller, and grow and get smaller....
There is a lot of research on sarcoids on thehorse.dot.com. Just sign up, it's free, and search for it.
Good Luck

#3 mingjayde

mingjayde

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

my horse had a melanoma about the side of a ping pong ball located on his prepuce along with some smaller nodules under his tail. We had the growth removed while the base of it was still quite small. The vet was able to do a standing procedure under local anesthetic and sedation and it cost me approx $320 in total.

The original recommendation was to leave it and keep an eye however when the vet was able to see the base was as small as it was he recommended to remove it before it got to a point it couldn't come off with out taking a sizable other chunk.
  • morganm likes this

#4 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

On my blog here ( I'm not sure how to link to it ) I have pictures of my Appy's squamous cell cancer . I think we have been treating for 4 years now and it's under control . We started with chemo but it didn't work well for him and now he just gets it frozen every 8-9 months . Chemo was @$1800 the freezing is around $250 . Have your Vet look at it , if it is squamous cell the quicker you deal with it the better and cheaper it will be .

Edited to add link to pictures http://forums.arabia...or-time-part-1/

#5 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the input everyone...hope no one minds me posting a pic here? If you do I'm sorry. It is right on the head of his penis, not on the sheath whatsoever. CL, it is kind of like yours but different as it is a raised up growth--kind of cauliflower like, but not exactly.

#6 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Okay, if I can email someone the pix to post as I cannot post pix on abn for some reason...

#7 morganm

morganm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

I just dealt with removing a squamous cell from my poa gelding- treatment was quick, inexpensive, and he seemed to be in little pain afterwards. It's only been a few months- but no growths have returned! If its squamous cell, as this board informed me, it's very treatable. If you search squamous cell on this board you will find pictures of my gelding in addition to other horses to be able to compare to your boy. Keep us updated!
Home of:
multi regional champion RB Cavalier 1991 black stallion(Arabi Fadh Onyx x BA Cerulean Ebony)
reserve national champion AO Breeze 2001 chestnut stallion (Aclsic Raff x Mosha Khaitlyn)
scottsdale top 10/regional top 5 Moments Light 2001 gray mare (Thee Masterpiece x Moments Sequel)

#8 Shahker's Ma

Shahker's Ma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

You will need a biopsy done to determine what kind of cancer your horse has. My gelding had a cancerous growth, squamous cell, on the end of his urethra. Chemotherapy did not work. He required the removal of the distal portion of the urethra to the level of the glans penis. If he had been younger (he was 24) the surgeon would have done a more radical procedure to be sure the cancer did not return. In either case the surgery would not limit him or be noticeable. In his case he was all healed in a week. About a year later I noticed some small new lesions which were then removed easily and quickly with laser surgery. The less invasive surgery my horse had was about $700.00. I called U.C. Davis and they said it would cost about $1,300 for the more radical amputation.

Shahker Ma *332738 Chestnut Gelding                                  

Bey Shah X PS Seratel(TW Forteyna)                                         

#9 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the input everyone...hope no one minds me posting a pic here? If you do I'm sorry. It is right on the head of his penis, not on the sheath whatsoever. CL, it is kind of like yours but different as it is a raised up growth--kind of cauliflower like, but not exactly.

My gelding had one like that on his penis but way up inside I could only feel it but did get a good look at it when the Vet removed it . The one on the outside of sheath in the pictures, had at one time sorta of fronds that stuck out for lack of a better description . The quicker you get it treated the better it will be, squamous cell can spread if not treated and kill them if it spreads inside but is totally treatable . For the folks with the light skinned horses check around their eyes and under their tails too .

#10 splashh

splashh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Dang girl, you are due for some good luck I think! I hope this turns out to be something really simple to treat and prevent. Sending positive thoughts your way!