one thing to consider for nationals - - those darn big hotel bills. if clients are coming and going, depending on their show schedules, maybe get a double room and split the costs. sometimes the hotels give a better rate if you are staying for two weeks rather than a few days..
I am seriously thinking that after this next show, I have to sit down with my trainer and make a real plan. I just do not see taking three horses to Tulsa .......that's like 18k. Two of them stand a chance to be able to win some prize money to help with those costs............but hauling a yearling (HA gelding at that) and sepnding so much sounds just a little nuts to the serious side of my brain. I remember this is about an 18 hour trip for my ponies so each is sure to run up a $1500 hauling bill; plus those big trainer fees and entries (and of course two require futurity/maturity fees)
We try to split hotel rooms with other clients and pretty much every show we do. Every little bit helps, you know? If we're flying to a show, we'll split a rental car, too.
I work from home and keep my own hours, so I'm lucky in that regard for now. When I was in college, things were trickier, but since I was a good student I always worked it out with my professors. I'm with Becky in that I need to plan out who of mine are for sure going to Nationals this year. I have one for Canada (futurity filly) and one for US (HA hunter pleasure maturity horse IF she's ready...), and it might be best if it stays at that. I just keep thinking "Boy, I'd like to have something to ride in Canada!" Heck, we just settled our Regional entries last weekend. And those are a month away. I tend to let things go until I HAVE to decide just so I know exactly where my horses are, my schedule, etc. I've given up on planning months in advance because it just doesn't seem to work very well most of the time, lol. I take it one show at a time now. The only difference is for the horses that are aiming for age limited classes.