Photo

Halter showing questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vintage

Vintage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

So, I know for a fact I want to try showing my boy in some kind of halter show before he is ready to ride. I want to try sport horse in hand for sure, but I have a question about halter classes. He is a short, polish arab, and I haven't gotten an official measurement on him yet but if he is in the "pony" range, does that change what classes he can be entered in?

I would like to try a local open halter show. One class is just Arabians and the other is all breed. In an open show, what kind of tack should I use? Typical arab cable halter? Or can I use a more normal halter, or even a bridle?
Because he isn't very tall and fancy looking should I even consider showing (non sport horse) halter? For now all I have are head shots and one body shot. :unsure:

EDIT: New Pics!
I also definately want to use him for hunter/jumper/cross country and possibly driving(not any time soon). Any opinions on his confirmation is welcome. He is a little thick, I'm trying to get him in better shape over the summer.
EDIT: Added another question on page 2.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Equine partner:

EA Legacy of Bardonna (Hiba)- '02 PB Bay gelding

#2 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Class A "regular" halter does not have height subdivisions. I don't think Sport Horse In Hand does, either.
If you want to show your horse at halter, go ahead, no matter his height. I find it is a great way to get a horse more used to being in the ring.
Your gelding has a lovely face. Either a regular cable halter or a bridle will look nice on him. I'd present him as I wished him to be perceived by the judge.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#3 Vintage

Vintage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Updating this thread with a bit more info and new pictures!

Equine partner:

#4 Steery

Steery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:05 AM

If you are able, why dont you come to the PA Junior Arabian Games show. The show is designed for newbies, beginners, and kids. Here's the link to the prize list: http://pennsylvaniaa...eventsshows.htm June 29 - July 1. Center Hall Grange Fairgrounds, near State College. Friday is a full day of clinics with trainers followed by a schooling show. Saturday and Sunday are show days. If you wanted to attend to just watch and get some pointers, you certainly can at no charge.

Where in PA are you located?

#5 Vintage

Vintage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm located in Melrose Park, about 15-30 min outside Philadelphia, my horse will be moved to a facility in Fairmount Park at the end of this month. That sounds like an awesome idea though, thanks! I'd love to be able to go with someone, I'd be a nervous wreck going to my first show with my own horse, alone! lol

Equine partner:

#6 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Go and watch a lot, breed and open halter and showmanship. We did breed halter and open showmanship with our Arabian stallion in the 80s and 90s. If you can work with your horse to really listen to you and walk & trot at your shoulder--- straight and true, and stand quietly, and if you know the rules well, that will even give you more experience with your horse. Show to the rules. Some judges will like your horse and some will not, against other purebreds or against open breeds. But he looks like a very nice horse who could do this.

#7 WSArabians

WSArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Is the whip in hand a requirement??

Whispering Secret Arabians
www.wsarabians.wix.com/home
Registered Solid and Sabino Arabians!

#8 PaulaM

PaulaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Yes it is or was? But when you do the standup before the judge you may lay it on the ground. Dont forget when you leave tho. lol

#9 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

you do not have to carry a whip

if you do carry one, there are rules about the size, shape, attachments, etc as well as what you can and cannot do with it during a class

#10 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'd show him Sport horse: from what I"ve seen size does not matter even up to the national level.