Photo

Attention Breeders - Please read

Park HSUS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
284 replies to this topic

#11 CarolAtJarabFarm

CarolAtJarabFarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

With the change in ownership of the Arabian Horse World to a European owner, would they perhaps be interested in this story? They seem to be less politically driven (read "by advertising") than they were previously...

#12 Slide

Slide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for your account, CRPAUL.

Sarah

#13 Briska

Briska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Nothing is left to be said. The people who posted have spoken with their heart and their conscience and have hit the nail on the head. This is why I read this forum.
Be careful of the words you say, and keep them soft and sweet. For you never know, from time to time, which ones you'll have to eat.

Foals arriving in 2012 are also for sale
**Pentika V x Gotcha in April **RO Siena Sunshine x Gotcha in April **Falicity x Gotcha in May **RNT Pyrrunata x FSF Vintage Flyer in May

#14 Oak Lawn Arabians

Oak Lawn Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I know who I would call if, Lord forbid, I was ever found in the situation Ms. Parkinson was in... http://www.shady-acr...tionscore.shtml
Dr. Susan Evans Garlinghouse, DVM is not only a vet but is also an expert on equine nutrition.

Carrie S.

Oak Lawn Arabians
Carrie and Alex Stewart
Home of CT Saint Patrick, Dancin InThe Sand AND Beaudacious Boogie OLA, 2009 Region 15 Top 5 SHIH Mares ATH Open
"Using Bloodlines of the Past, To Create Beautiful Athletes of the Future!"

#15 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I would LOVE to start a public campaign to "put down" the wrongdoers in this nasty act.

#16 Fereyna1982

Fereyna1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

It's particularly galling that they wanted to pull horses that were scored at a 3 - as horses in Maryland are not supposed to be considered in trouble unless they are LOWER than a 3. I personally feel that owners of horses that are 6 & above should be aware of the risks to their horses for other issues.

"Equines should score, by veterinarian, no less than a
body condition score of 3 on the Henneke Condition
Scoring Chart to be considered of adequate weight"

I don't trust DEFHR or anyone other than myself, my vet and my horse friends to help me make a determination if one of my Little Old Ladies (and Gents) are at the point when final decisions need to be made.

I've made the decision already within the past three months and I'm still not entirely certain I didn't rush it. Particularly as we just had an extraordinarily mild winter - not that I could have predicted the weather pattern with absolute certainty.

Still, my crusty vet who is NOT a demonstrative kinda guy gave me a hug and told me I'd done the right thing. It helps that he's known me and the horse in question, for almost 30 years. I still cried buckets.

#17 lunalisa

lunalisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thank you CRPaul, for sharing you side of this sad story. I pray everyone with a horse, not just breeders, reads your letter.

Actually anyone with any kind of animal. All kinds of horror stories are going on with all kinds of animals. The more we learn, the better able we are on how-to end this type of thing.
Namaste, LunaLisa

#18 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

And yet Henneke himself told me that an Arabian could be a 2 on his scale and be in prime condition. Another could be a 7 on the scale and be healthy. A 3 being ideal AVERAGE for QUARTER horses to get in foal. We all know the person that looks skinny you just want to give them a sandwich, it does not mean they don't eat. I actually know a lady that had to drink 2 large milkshakes when she was pregnant on top of her regular meals because she burned too many calories just being her.

OHR, I hope you will take a good look at the evidence in this case when it all comes to light, as you will see the red flags we are seeing in other rescues too. I think you posted in the Colorado rescue thread, if not sorry I am mistaken.

#19 RobinBa

RobinBa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thank you for sharing this first hand account. It should send shivers up the spine of ALL horse breeders and owners alike.

#20 Envestment

Envestment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

:bigemo_harabe_net-122: Thank you
Bonnie Jameson
CROSSWIND ARABIANS
Webbers Falls, OK
CrosswindArabs@aol.com