Photo

Long Lining with a Double Bridle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jrchloe

Jrchloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have never been taught this training method. While I do have some knowledgeable resources to teach me hands on stuff but I would really like the theory behind this method please. What is the purpose (other than oh it teaches them to wear it better, yea but better how)? What kind of horse would you use this with or not? What do you have to watch out for? How should the converter be adjusted? Any special notes that should be included? Thank you.

#2 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

I would not suggest this ....... double bridle is for riding, not long lining.

#3 mystikalfarms

mystikalfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

When riding the saddleseat horse, about 90% of the work is off the bradoon. You get a bit of flexion off of the curb but shouldn't be working off of it. IMO, long lining in a full bridle is not a good idea. That is a lot of bit that can do a lot of damage in the wrong/inexperienced hands. I still do all my long lining, regardless of discipline, in a regular o-ring or eggbutt snaffle. All my horses also get ridden in the same. This goes for my saddleseat/native costume horse to my multi-talented western pleasure/hunter pleasure/trail/walk trot/barrel racing mare and everything in between. They get occasional work in their 'show' gear but most of the work is in a more gentle bit. Why create a tougher mouth?

Focused on breeding intelligent, beautiful, correct and athletic Arabian and Half-Arabian horses!

Mares consist of HF Mister Chips+, Allionce+/, Millennium LOA+ and Say Hey Kid daughters.

Introducing Travelin By U - 2013 Homozygous Black and White Paint colt - future sire of champion half-arabians
www.mystikalfarms.com

#4 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I've seen a lot of well known saddle seat trainers long lining with the double. You could ask this guy :) http://www.askthetra...ne.com/bio.html

I hope Fireflii sees this, it would be great to hear what she has to say.

I would say if you are getting a tougher mouth schooling in your curb you are definitely doing it wrong.

#5 murphy

murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

Very interesting replies.. My trainers have always long lined horses in the double bridle when first getting a horse going in it. I assumed most trainers did.. (I watched Alan long line a young horse in it on Saturday..)

#6 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

Why on earth would you ever longline in a double....the folks who REALLY know how to do it use a snaffle, usually with a dropped noseband and

#7 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Zai- she is talking about working a saddles eat horse in a double, not a dressage horse. I have seen quite a few well-known saddleseat trainers do it, including at a few stallion presentations I hav been to. It does look like a skill that needs to be actively taught so you have the right feel on the bridle, however. Are there any trustworthy trainers in your area that you could discuss it with.

#8 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

In my opinion if you are having to long line in a double bridle you have some serious holes in your training and the horse
should not be in the double.

Having shown many an EP horse in my younger days including a H/A horse I showed Park, I can not imagine why
I would feel the need to long line them in the double.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#9 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

You don't really need to longe any horse while wearing a double bridle in order to train them, but you might want to school a finished horse just before a show as it would simulate the action of a rider on their back. To train a green horse, you need to start with a full bitting rig and use the softest snaffle bit that you possibly can.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE
When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun!!

#10 fyreflii7

fyreflii7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I hope Fireflii sees this, it would be great to hear what she has to say.

Thank you, I'm flattered :blush:

I hesitate to "talk training" online because I'm always learning - I don't know everything and want to be careful about what I say.

That said, here you go:

What is the purpose (other than oh it teaches them to wear it better, yea but better how)? What kind of horse would you use this with or not? What do you have to watch out for? How should the converter be adjusted? Any special notes that should be included? Thank you.

The thing to keep in mind with any training method is to set your horse up for success. Eliminate any variables that make it harder for him to accomplish what you are asking him to do.

I do introduce the full bridle in long lines because it is in an environment that gives the horse little chance to fail, provided he is thoroughly trained in lines. He knows what to do, he's comfortable doing it, the ONLY change is the bridle. He should be able to walk, trot and canter in lines with a soft mouth, steady in the bridle, moving forward happily with all "forward" coming from behind. He should make his transitions smoothly with voice cues and understand my body language. If I have to pull to get a horse to stop, I need to go back to basics. If there is never pulling, you will never get a hard mouth.

That should touch on the OP's first two questions.

What to watch out for? As with anything - make sure the horse is confident and understands what he should be doing. Patience, consistency, encouragement and RELIEF go much further than pulling, antagonizing or confusing the horse.

The converter is adjusted depending on your goal. While introducing the full bridle, I work with majority of contact on the snaffle and some contact on the curb bit. Too loose of contact on the curb makes it flop around, which beyond being ugly, doesn't suggest to the horse that he should stay steady!

I will write more tomorrow. Still adjusting to daylight savings and waking up so darn early . . .

Ashley Bibby
‚Äčemail

Trinnity (Triften+/ x SWF Noble Portrait/MHR Nobility)
Divinity JS (Nobilistic BF x JHB Debutante/Promotion)
Ballerina JS (Erykk MF x Westover Brandie/Al Banat)