Photo

Two Halter Questions, For Those In "the Know"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 saguaroarab4

saguaroarab4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have a horse that needs to pick up points and a not-too-horsey husband willing to do halter. Neither horse nor hubby is experienced in halter. I could help but the last time I had a halter on a horse in the show ring, I was leading my white pony named Satin.

My first question: I have read that you teach the hind legs first by saying "whoa" when the left foot is about to leave the ground. Does this mean that you actually set them down on that foot when it is behind them? What if the horse is a little base-narrow? How do I fix that in a stance?

Second question: the horse is dark bay with the most awesome muzzle full of light brown fur. How is it that the halter horses look like they have had Nair applied? I clipped her with 50's and she just got a little blotchy around her whisker stubs.

Tips?
Thanks!

#2 hrpsylentstar

hrpsylentstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

I can't really help with the first question but it sounds about right what you said about saying whoa.

I am no expert on the 2nd, but I know we use a almost surgical clipper blade to get super close to the skin, then add baby oil or there's some black oily polish (can't remember the name) we have you can use as "eyeshadow" and muzzle shine.

Standing PM Backfire (MS Firedevil x MS Kora)

2005 Polish Related Arabian Stallion

SCIDS/CA Clear
www.diamondminearabians.com

#3 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

I can't really help with the first question but it sounds about right what you said about saying whoa.

I am no expert on the 2nd, but I know we use a almost surgical clipper blade to get super close to the skin, then add baby oil or there's some black oily polish (can't remember the name) we have you can use as "eyeshadow" and muzzle shine.

You can only use clear products for showing. To get rid of the fine brown hairs you will need to sweat them off (use baby oil gel or vaseline) on the areas before working or shave it off with either a regular razor or electric. If you are not in a big hurry those fine hairs should shed naturally as the horse gets their summer coat. I am not sure if Nair is safe for use on horses so I would not try it.

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and SHN top 10, MA Razcals Glori SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, Montana Athena SHN Reserve Champion
WR SHADDO HAWK+++/- Multi Regional Champion and multiple SHN Top 10
MAGNIFICO ZF-multiple Regional Champion, SHN Reserve Champion, multiple USN top 10

#4 Lana

Lana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

where are you located?  There is bound to be someone around your area that can help you.

#5 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

there is also a great video by Kim Potts that teaches you exactly how to do it (I think SeeHOrse video sells it)

#6 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Kim's video is great, it even helped ME!! LOL!!! And I am a terrible klutz on the ground.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#7 Rachel

Rachel

Rachel And Aries

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

The Ammy Army Forum explains it nicely but I know I am more of a visual learner so videos are best

The Arabian stallion is magnificent, and the mare quite glamorous, but the airy-fairy foal is so delicate and fawn-like, he steals your heart away!
- Gladys Brown Edwards, "Know the Arabian Horse"

"So tender is the Arab of his horse, that he will seldom beat or spur him; and in consequence of this humane treatment, the animal considers itself as one of the family, and will allow the children to play round it, and to fondle it like a dog." The Wonders of the Horse, by Jos. Taylor "For the dominant quality of Arab blood is its eternal, its immortal persistence. Wherever, as the horseman of today looks about him and among these horses, observes beauty, speed, grace, fire, activity, docility and fineness yet toughness of fiber, he sees that eternity, that immortality, incarnated. It has triumphed over everything mundane, thousands of years, hap and circumstances, time and tide, incredible hardships and immemorial adversities, misuse, and abuse, the exigencies of mankind's daily life and the flame and blood of the battlefield, unconquerable, indestructible and victorious. Everything worth while in the shape of a horse in the world today partakes of it. The Greeks believed it Godlike, and verily they made no mistake."March 27, 1942, Mr. Hervey