Photo

Percheron X Arabian Cross

opinions or suggestions plz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#11 azria north

azria north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

The potential problem with this kind of cross is due to genetics, you get parts from each parent on the resulting horse. The sire and dam may be balanced but a draft body on arab legs etc. does not work. You most likely get parts from each horse, not an intermediate blending of the parts. I hope I explained that clearly. I saw some unfortunate examples from breeding nurse mares to any old stallion. I wonder for every "nice" cross seen, how many ended up on a European vacation.

#12 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

It isn't something I'd do for exactly that reason "what is in the pedigree will come out' lol.....and you are right, it just might. Was just saying to stack the deck in your favor I'd be darned sure to choose very very excellent parents from both sides.
Signature being edited, too large.

#13 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Shade's breeder bred many many many Percheron Arabian crosses. But always Arabian stallion on wonderful Percheron mares.

No Franken-horses in the bunch. No matter what size they were, they were all balanced athletic horses. Some shorter, some taller. Some more suited for ranch work. Some suited for eventing. Some more suited for dressage.

But all were good legged, balanced, with great minds.
MaryJo

#14 asuekrose

asuekrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

MaryJo, Are you still showing Shade?

#15 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

MaryJo, Are you still showing Shade?

Shade is recovering from a suspensory injury that happened December 2010. I expect to compete again this summer. Lots of work to bring back all those muscles that were idle for several months.

He is doing great. He is SO ready to work. I have been riding him since September. Walked for 2 months. Tiny bits of trot thrown in for 3 months. Gradually increasing the work load. Added some canter in January (VERY brief). He offered ones the first few times I let him canter. He offers passage and piaffe but I cannot let him.
MaryJo

#16 asuekrose

asuekrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I hope he comes back as good as new! I have followed your career with him and have wondered what he was up to. Thanks for the update and best of luck in the conditioning and comeback program!
Aimee

#17 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks. This has been a really rough time for us both. I leased a horse starting last February so I could stay in shape. Shade HATED him. Just HATED him. Slash didn't like Shade either. I could not stable them next to one another... But it was good for me to ride another horse for a year. Learned some new things. Learned to utilize training techniques I never had to explore--the two of them are polar opposites in size, gaits, way of going, attitude.
MaryJo

#18 srshani

srshani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

I agree about the Franken-horse problem and would only consider a Percheron as an outcross as they already have some Arabian blood in them compared to other draft horse breeds. And, I have seen much better heads produced by Arabian stallions crossed onto Percheron mares than visa versa. But, a bad-looking Arabian/Percheron cross foal will be unwanted and will be at risk for being sold for slaughter.

In this difficult economy, you would be much better off to have your Arabian mare inspected for registration into the Warmblood Registries and then breed her to a Warmblood stallion that has Arabian blood in their pedigree. That way the foal will be wanted and you could more easily sell the resulting Warmblood/Arabian-cross foal for good money.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE

well even if i do decide to go through with breeding her whether its to a draft stallion or any other stallion, none of my foals or horses would be sent to slaughter EVER regardless of how they looked i'd rather they be pasture ponys.

It had occurred to me to try and get my mare approved with one of the warmblood breeds but i believe and was also told that she doesn't have the conformation that they are looking for, and i wouldn't want to breed her to a warmblood unless there was a chance of getting the foal registered with that particular warmblood breed. Her daughter (the bay in my avatar pic) however I am strongly considering taking to a warmblood inspection perhaps Oldenburgs, but that wont be for atleast another year or two when she looks more like an adult and she'll just be coming 3 this summer.

alot of things are still up in the air at the moment

#19 Sassparillo

Sassparillo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

Percherons have Arab blood in them. They were once called the "arabs of the draft world". There is a guy locally that does the cross and uses the results to work on his farm, and they are GORGEOUS!

Heather
Wild Rose Arabians

Proud Owners of:

Geldings:
PA Jazzraff (Jazz)
Praire Park Ian (Neeter)
WRA Mavericks Ace (Maverick)
WRA StrikeNGold (Striker)
Charlie the wonder pony

Mares:
Colesto Strikes (Colesto)
WC KittyHawk (Kitty)
Sassparillo Rose (Sassy)

RIP:
Berazz (Bud) 1987-2009

#20 Desertwindtx

Desertwindtx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Tracy Caruth crosses her Arab stallion onto Percheron and Belgian mares to produce mounts for our local police force. Saw one just last week, pretty neat looking horse.
Desert Wind Arabians, Kerens, Texas