Photo

Adopted A Spanish Arab - Pedigree Questions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 unwound

unwound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

I recently adopted a registered spanish arab (from this site) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about his pedigree? I would like to do LImited Distance/Ride and Tie's with him (maybe even multiday rides)... but he is quite small for me (14.2) I was wondering what his relative's have done in the past and if he has the so called "bred in" ability to carry me over those distances...I'm 5'6 165 lbs.

Thanks

Charlesey Charlton

here's a link to his pedigree:

http://www.allbreedp.../el magistrrado

#2 Gogetter

Gogetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Those bloodlines produce hardy horses who are typically tough as nails! They like to jump, too. My mom and I owned a Spanish gelding who she rode endurance and he loved it. He also started jumping at age 16 and loved it, too. I showed him in a variety of divisions and did dressage with him, too. He was a ###### of a horse. You have a very well-bred horse there who should be game and willing to do those endurance rides with you. Your height and weight should not be an issue at all.

Amy Johnson Proud owner of Carangi+/ (Versace X Giavanna)

2013 Region 2 UNANIMOUS Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Region 1 Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Youth National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure JTR 14-18
2012 U.S. National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54; Region 2 Champ Hunter Pl. AATR 40+ and Hunter Pl. Open, Res Champ PB Hunter Pl. AAOTR; Region 1 Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 40 and over, Reserve Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AATR 40 and over 2011 U.S. National Top Ten (third!) PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54, Region 1 Champ PB Hunter AAOTR 40 and Over, Region 2 Reserve Champ PB Hunter AATR

#3 unwound

unwound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Amy thanks for your reply, that makes me feel alot better about putting him in training this spring...I was planning on doing his first LD in the fall.

I am relatively new to the registered arab world, I have a unregistered 18 yr old that I love dearly and a coming 2 yr old that is Egyptian/Polish bred (my boyfriend bought me for b-day present last yr- http://www.allbreedp...crimson tide to), and then Cisco (spanish bred horse) he is the horse in my profile picture. I have been very excited about Cisco but worried about his size...so you have been very helpful!!! Thanks so much.

Charlesey

#4 Gogetter

Gogetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Keep us posted on your progress! I'd love to see more pics of him. He definitely looks pretty broad-chested in that picture from what I can tell. Nice, wide base of support :D I hope some others chime in here. Arabs are a very hardy breed in general, and 14.2 is well within the normal range for height.

Amy Johnson Proud owner of Carangi+/ (Versace X Giavanna)

2013 Region 2 UNANIMOUS Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Region 1 Champ PB Hunter Pl AAOTR; Youth National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure JTR 14-18
2012 U.S. National Top Ten PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54; Region 2 Champ Hunter Pl. AATR 40+ and Hunter Pl. Open, Res Champ PB Hunter Pl. AAOTR; Region 1 Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 40 and over, Reserve Champion PB Hunter Pleasure AATR 40 and over 2011 U.S. National Top Ten (third!) PB Hunter Pleasure AAOTR 36-54, Region 1 Champ PB Hunter AAOTR 40 and Over, Region 2 Reserve Champ PB Hunter AATR

#5 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

My Spanish gelding shares many of the same bloodlines as Cisco. He has a tremendously fun and intelligent disposition, plus he is as tough as nails.
Spanish horses tend to be slow to mature, physically, and knowing a bit about the background of your boy I would not be surprised if he did not get the best start in the world as a foal. At age five (almost) he has another couple of years of growth and filling out to do. Don't be too shocked if he adds another inch or more to his height. However, I see horses of his current size competing at endurance/competitive trail all the time with riders of your weight class. Sounds like you are taking things slow but sure with him and I'll bet he does very well for you!
Let us know how he progresses, and post pics of both your boys when you get the chance!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#6 unwound

unwound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Thanks so much for your responses...He is such a great little guy (smart and willing) I was getting myself a little worked up about his size...But you all have put those doubts to rest. I will post more pictures soon. I'm at work right now and do not have access to my pictures.

#7 unwound

unwound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Cisco

Attached Thumbnails

• cisco1.jpg
  • cisco2.jpg

#8 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Many years ago, I used to work with Spanish Arabian horses in New Mexico. They do mature very late, but if you double up now on the vitamin/mineral supplement that you are giving to your gelding, then you can help him make up for a slow start. I had a mare that had been almost starved as a youngster who gained three inches going from 13.3 to 14.2 hands in two (2) years time with this feeding program. I recommend the Missing Link Equine Plus vitamin/mineral supplement made by Designing Health.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE
When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun!!

#9 tiki-bird

tiki-bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

unwound,
Not sure how far away you are willing to put your boy in training, but you are only a couple hours from Thompson Training Center in Sweetwater. They do a lot of pre-track conditioning for Arabian racehorses in the mountains. And also train and ride endurance themselves.

Best wishes with your gelding. He's really cute and has a fantastic pedigree.

Preserving the bloodline of *Lotnik, WWII Prize of War

Author of Tennessee's Arabian Horse Racing Heritage

#10 unwound

unwound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Lorna: I have him on 14% feed and all the good quality hay he can eat, I really hadn't thought about adding a supplement to his feeding schedule...I will have to look into that supplement. THANKS!

tiki-bird
I have ridden with them a couple of times on training rides (we have mutual friends) Although I really don't know them personally.

I was planning on legging him up myself. I work closely with a trainer (classically trained) in my hometown that helps me with bending/flexing ect. I am lucky enough to have a 6-10 mile loop at my house and I'm relatively close to several trail heads. So conditioning is not a problem - and my job allows me to ride 3-4 days per week... Sending him for more training is not out of the question...I have a TB in a Hunter Jumper barn (in training and forsale) right now so when he is sold then I would have the extra income for sending Cisco if I feel he needs the extra attention.

thanks for the advice!!!