Photo
- - - - -

What Would Bring You To A Vegas Class 'a' Show?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#11 BIGGER

BIGGER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

The last time I showed in Vegas we were out by Sams town a very very long time ago.

I would absolutely consider going to Vegas to show if they had Sport Horse classes/Dressage, and March would be a good time of year,
except it can rain...... Marc better then October for me and my clients since we have just gotten back from Sport Horse Nationals this time of the
year and our wallets are recovering.

I know what I loved about showing in Reno back in the early 90's is that we had no night classes, it made it so much fun, gave us the evening to go have fun.

Me Too! I went to region 7 this year and LOVED it except for the heat but we were ready for it.It would be a great way to qualify for reg.7 I have a nephew who is the manager at Andre's and Alieze and since the FEI World Cup won't be back in LV until 2015 I need a excuse to go visit him ;)
USDF GOLD MEDALIST
Glynnsong Farms home of
OKW Entrigue+++// SIX time National Champion-Grand Prix Arabian stallion Oldenburg Approved breeding stallion! National Champion Enlightened
Encandecsent First Purebred Arabian colt branded Oldenburg! 8.5 on Movement!
glynnsongfarms.com

#12 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm not saying this would happen but a few years back we offered dressage and sport horse classes here in Reno at the annual show . I had many promises , we'll come I'll bring 2-3 horses when it came down to it I had one person come from over the hill with two horses , I was very glad she came. I think we had 24 dressage rides total . At the end of the day one club member said to me what are you going to tell the Board about how few showed up ? my reply would not show here . That show has not had dressage or sport horse since that was 2006 . I know this won't be popular but I would not add in dressage and sport horse , expense of an added judge and dressage savvy volunteers and possibly no one showing up could cost the Club .

#13 mysticrch

mysticrch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm not saying this would happen but a few years back we offered dressage and sport horse classes here in Reno at the annual show . I had many promises , we'll come I'll bring 2-3 horses when it came down to it I had one person come from over the hill with two horses , I was very glad she came. I think we had 24 dressage rides total . At the end of the day one club member said to me what are you going to tell the Board about how few showed up ? my reply would not show here . That show has not had dressage or sport horse since that was 2006 . I know this won't be popular but I would not add in dressage and sport horse , expense of an added judge and dressage savvy volunteers and possibly no one showing up could cost the Club .

Hey I loved Fuji Park and would come over the hill with at least one horse again it the classes were held.

March might be a bad time for some to go to Vegas if they just got back from Scottsdale (IMO). I am one who consider it but only for dressage/sport horse classes as we do not show in MR classes.
Karen Ernst
Owner & Breeder of:
ZEUS MR (JS Padronov x MSN Zamia by Ansata Shah Zam)
2012 SHN Top Ten Arabian Sport Horse In Hand Stallion ATH

#14 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hey I loved Fuji Park and would come over the hill with at least one horse again it the classes were held.

March might be a bad time for some to go to Vegas if they just got back from Scottsdale (IMO). I am one who consider it but only for dressage/sport horse classes as we do not show in MR classes.

I believe you would Karen but to hire a judge add the extra time, round up volunteers who know what they are doing , it's hard to justify the expense . I think a lot of people like the idea of dressage and sport horse classes and say they would travel for them but when it comes right down to it they don't show . One year at the local show, my husband was managing the dressage that year, I rode 4 tests and brought 4 horses out of the field for SHIH just to fill the classes . One year I even had payback classes with $200 each for training 4 and first 4 still couldn't get people to show , high point prizes , high score prizes . It seems when it comes down to it you are better off sticking with classes that you can get entries for from your local area .

#15 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the continuing input. I know some people only show main ring (breed or open), and others only show in other venues, but sometimes I will go "outside the show ring" and see lots of Arabians and 1/2 Arabians that are under saddle here that I have never seen, so part of that is lots of advertising and word of mouth/networking for whatever one does, to get the maxiumum amount of coverage TO SEE if people can or want to come. For example, horses in dressage and jumping that are not shown in breed or open classes, but maybe in their specific disciplines outside of the local area or region, or in multiple/cross over disciplines. I know back in the day, we did halter and showmanship and English Pleasure and trail riding, and then converted over to dressage, and made a lot of friends in 3- day eventing, cuz of the dressage, even though we did not do any jumping, but were just very interested in that and were jump judges. So I think it is being open to new ideas, in tough times for many owners/trainers/horses. Getting more exposure for the horses and riders, but also educating the public about what we have, and getting along with many others, in their disciplines and in their styles of riding, perhaps not what we are familiar with ourselves, but what the audience might find interesting. There are some judges who could be an asset in drawing in more exhibitors; others not so much.

Patience, I would go again to see you ride. :wub: You would be an excellent clinician and teacher for Arabian and non-Arabian interests. English riding has really taken off in Las Vegas over the years, with lots of new/old riders, and new/old horses. Years ago (in the 80s) I started the Equine Carnival and Presentation Showcase, where arena time was "given" to people to ride/halter, show their horse for sale, produce of dam/get of sire, stallion parade, demos, clinics, whatever they wanted to do with their horse/breed/discipline. It was very popular and remains a great idea. You get sponsors, charge minimal fees, have a schedule, a program, announcer, food, invite anyone and everyone, and we are still asked to do it again.

#16 BIGGER

BIGGER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the continuing input. I know some people only show main ring (breed or open), and others only show in other venues, but sometimes I will go "outside the show ring" and see lots of Arabians and 1/2 Arabians that are under saddle here that I have never seen, so part of that is lots of advertising and word of mouth/networking for whatever one does, to get the maxiumum amount of coverage TO SEE if people can or want to come. For example, horses in dressage and jumping that are not shown in breed or open classes, but maybe in their specific disciplines outside of the local area or region, or in multiple/cross over disciplines. I know back in the day, we did halter and showmanship and English Pleasure and trail riding, and then converted over to dressage, and made a lot of friends in 3- day eventing, cuz of the dressage, even though we did not do any jumping, but were just very interested in that and were jump judges. So I think it is being open to new ideas, in tough times for many owners/trainers/horses. Getting more exposure for the horses and riders, but also educating the public about what we have, and getting along with many others, in their disciplines and in their styles of riding, perhaps not what we are familiar with ourselves, but what the audience might find interesting. There are some judges who could be an asset in drawing in more exhibitors; others not so much.

Patience, I would go again to see you ride. :wub: You would be an excellent clinician and teacher for Arabian and non-Arabian interests. English riding has really taken off in Las Vegas over the years, with lots of new/old riders, and new/old horses. Years ago (in the 80s) I started the Equine Carnival and Presentation Showcase, where arena time was "given" to people to ride/halter, show their horse for sale, produce of dam/get of sire, stallion parade, demos, clinics, whatever they wanted to do with their horse/breed/discipline. It was very popular and remains a great idea. You get sponsors, charge minimal fees, have a schedule, a program, announcer, food, invite anyone and everyone, and we are still asked to do it again.

I would be Happy to come to Vegas to give a clinic ;)
USDF GOLD MEDALIST
Glynnsong Farms home of
OKW Entrigue+++// SIX time National Champion-Grand Prix Arabian stallion Oldenburg Approved breeding stallion! National Champion Enlightened
Encandecsent First Purebred Arabian colt branded Oldenburg! 8.5 on Movement!
glynnsongfarms.com

#17 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thinking every day of how to make this happen............. :wub:

#18 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Meeting last night to discuss the show for next year. Proposing a double judge/double region--- qualifying show, in conjunction with another region. Any ideas pro or con, on this?

They did not think enough horses would come for sport horse/dressage to offer it, and hire another judge to do so. I am not so sure about that. I think there are more sport horse people out there now. I still believe Vegas would be a draw for many people (with or without horses). If it is hot then (time of year), would a night show be better (classes extending into the evening), or would people coming to a show here rather have their nights free to do Vegas things?? We are going to secure a date, and then start to work.......

#19 Shoez

Shoez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

So I hear the Vegas club is scheduling a double qualifier for regions 3 and 7. Mark your calendars for the weekend of September 27th 2013! Discounts available at Sam's Town for exhibitors. I haven't been very active in the club here, but I'm going to try and help make this show take off. Ideas on how to network this to barns and owners?

If anyone has requests, please speak freely and I'll talk to the right people :) I work at a "cowboy bar" at night. They might be able to sponsor some cool prizes for high point awards

Without horses, the show won't be successful. I'm even going to get my retired mare fit and bring her down for halter.

Magnum Majik (Magnum Psyche x Ballad of Majik) 2003 bay stallion
Ami Baskava (Ami Baskmen+ x Toyva Liena) 1998 bay mare

#20 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

September 27th is really close to the dates for the Tucson Silver Buckle show (Sept. 14th-16th), isn't it? As much as I would like to do both, less than two weeks between Class A shows would make me have to choose one over the other.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg