Photo

Frozen Semen Stallion List Wanting To Start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#21 backyardbred

backyardbred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

I too have looked longingly at the list...one stallion in particular has my attention.
Well, let me take that back... two or three have my nearly undivided attention.

But the first stallion whom I thought of ...I have tried to contact the owner
several times. I have even talked to this person's mother...for crying out loud.
She was such a nice lady too...It is very disappointing to report it has proven
impossible to do so..at least for me.

I have come to believe that the Semen is in storage there but not for sale...
the stallion that has me in such a dither is the Faleh son.

This lack of communication is a major drawback with Select Breeders...You should be
empowered to broker the semen. This calling around, trying to work out a deal with a third
party is a real bumpy trip... I wager it is a business practice that kills more sales than
promotes them.
Val

#22 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

I don't think they post their fees publicly. I think all of the facilities that I contacted did not post the fees on their website; I had to contact them to discuss the services and fee structures. A few places post some pricing info, but they all have different pricing structures so it makes sense that they want to communicate directly with potential clients.
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#23 Ambar

Ambar

System Janitor

• Moderators
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Karen, you'd need to contact the SBS affiliate in your area. As far as I know, the only one on the west coast is Pioneer Equine Hospital in Oakdale CA, and I was just on the phone with them this morning. Storage costs there vary with the amount of semen you have stored, as straws from different stallions are not mixed in a single storage compartment -- each stallion has his own. I have a single compartment for Palisades and it costs me on the order of $500/18 months for storage. Contact them directly for more details.

This lack of communication is a major drawback with Select Breeders...You should be
empowered to broker the semen. This calling around, trying to work out a deal with a third
party is a real bumpy trip... I wager it is a business practice that kills more sales than
promotes them.

I have to disagree with you there, Val. If the stallion owner doesn't want to sell semen, or will sell it only to approved mares, or whatever floats their boat -- they paid for it and they have a right to choose where it goes. They're not "a third party", they're the owner of the property you're interested in buying. Admittedly it's poor business practice not to respond to mare owners, or to keep one's contact info up to date, but that's on the stallion owner once more, not SBS.

"Each of us, no doubt, at one time or another has owned the best horse that ever looked through a bridle. I once owned a better one. Without taking time to prove it, I will simply admit it." -- Albert W Harris, "The Arabian Horse," The Horse, July-August 1944.

Ambar Arabians: http://ambararabians.com/

Member of International Arabians in Sport Association and California-Nevada Arabian Sport Horse Association

#24 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Val, generally stallion owners want to manage the sale of the frozen semen doses for reasons that include: approval of mares that are suitable matches, control of number of doses sold versus held in reserve for the stallion owner's use and/or long term storage past the lifetime of the stallion, pricing specials for some mare owners, and so on.

It is also important to point out that the stallion owners have put up money to collect, analyze, freeze, and store the semen. SBS provides the associated services, but they don't own the semen. Most equine repro facilities that freeze, store, and ship frozen semen handle semen from stallions of many breeds with many different "standard" pricing structures for doses. SBS isn't going to be able to tell a mare owner why a particular stallion is or isn't a good choice for their mare so it makes much more sense that the semen is sold via the stallion owner rather than through a third party who is not familiar with bloodlines, etc. (Sadly, some stallion owners are not easy to deal with --whether their stallion stand via live cover, fresh cooled, and/or frozen semen.) FWIW, I will be offering my young stallion via frozen because that is the way in which I can offer the most reliable service to mare owners given the circumstances of training, competition, and access to repro services.
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm

www.faeriecourtfarm.com

#25 mysticrch

mysticrch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Ambar they are not really that far from me.
Karen Ernst
Owner & Breeder of:
ZEUS MR (JS Padronov x MSN Zamia by Ansata Shah Zam)
2012 SHN Top Ten Arabian Sport Horse In Hand Stallion ATH

#26 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Interesting...Would buying frozen semen out of storage with you include the collection fees
and processing fees that are invoiced with other types of breeding contracts.
Or would the buyer be looking at just shipping, container and stud fees?
Fascinating! Subject worthy of more information and deep thought.
Val

Often, frozen semen is sold via a certain number of insemination doses. Some are sold by single doses, others includes several doses depending on the contract. Often frozen semen is sold without a LFG, but it can be. When it isn't sold with a LFG that usually has more to do with the inability to be certain of the inseminating vet's level of expertise with handling frozen semen rather than being a reflection of the quality of the semen. If the frozen semen has been proven to produce pregnancies in 1-2 cycles and the mare's vet is skilled in breeding with frozen semen, then buying it by the dose can be less expensive than paying for a LFG service contract --particularly if you are purchasing multiple doses at the same time. It is important to get data on the semen -- not just post-thaw motility, but also whatever info is available on the average number of breeding cycles to obtain pregnancies. Frozen semen that "looks good" post thaw, but doesn't result in many pregnancies in 2 cycles is riskier than semen that may have a lower post thaw motility, but high rate of pregnancies.

Since the shipping costs are going to be comparable for shipping one dose versus multiple doses (up to the capacity of the shipping container), it makes sense to purchase as many doses at you think you might use (eventually) --assuming you can arrange for storage of the frozen semen once it is received.
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm

www.faeriecourtfarm.com

#27 SelectBreeders

SelectBreeders

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

Hi Mysticrch,

Sorry - I'm just checking in here once a day, so the conversation is getting ahead of me.
Yes, we do not post fee schedules on the website since the fee structure and pricing varies depending upon the location of the affiliate lab. I see you are in Northern California, so you may wish to contact our affiliate lab in Oakdale, CA - Pioneer Equine. You can find a map of affiliate locations and contact info here:
http://www.selectbreeders.com/labs
I would also be glad to review with you our services and answer any questions you may have about frozen semen (410) 885-3202.

Brokering semen would be a challenge for us, given that we work will all breeds/disciplines and we find that most stallion owners would prefer to manage their own breeding contracts anyway. I can understand your frustration, as some individuals are certainly more responisve than others.

With regard to purchasing frozen semen we have three blog articles that you may find helpful:
Questions mare owners should ask before breeding with frozen semen
Frozen semen - sell by the dose or as a breeding
The pros and cons of one or two dose insemination protocols

Julie

#28 backyardbred

backyardbred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

I think before I leap into this project I will need to take some classes. Does Whit Beyer
offer such an amenity? I do know that if I was a person storing semen I would probalby use
a facility...simply because it would be cost effective.
I have a basic understanding of the issues at hand with other livestock. But horse semen
is a whole new territory period.
I had a wonderful conception record with those critters of mine.
It is fun to thaw and bred my dairy cows, beefers and milch goats...the selection to choose from
fantastic.The babies produce were excellent!

Yeah, I want to learn everything to understand what I need to do...I unlike many believe in
the old breeding practice of line breeding to the grandsires. Records show that the practice
has some solid advantages...So I would be more than happy to keep in storage a few stellar
stallions waiting for the right filly/mare to come along.

Northwind was kind enough to email me with her wisdom in regards to readying mares for breeding
with cooled/frozen semen. She has some good advice to share.
So, my interest is thoroughly engaged now. Consider, the techniques used to chill have improved
remarkably over the past few years with the quality of the extenders. The odds are increasing
every day for successful pregnancies.

My friend recently lost her Ibn Morafic son...his dam Bint Bint Shamruk was even better bred
than his sire if that is possible...I want to rip my hair out in frustration...he was not
collected and frozen...what a horrible waste to loose such a vital animal whose potential
was virtually untapped...Bint Bint Shamruk only produced two foals, both colts before having
repro issues.
Another of life's ironies...Barsham sired a soul-stealing beautiful filly for me...
Listen...hear that sound? That is me grinding my teeth! Grrrr!
Val

#29 Ambar

Ambar

System Janitor

• Moderators
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sorry - I'm just checking in here once a day, so the conversation is getting ahead of me.

Julie - thanks for checking in and providing authoritative information. I do wish more people would freeze their stallions, if only for their own use in the unknowable future.

"Each of us, no doubt, at one time or another has owned the best horse that ever looked through a bridle. I once owned a better one. Without taking time to prove it, I will simply admit it." -- Albert W Harris, "The Arabian Horse," The Horse, July-August 1944.

Ambar Arabians: http://ambararabians.com/

Member of International Arabians in Sport Association and California-Nevada Arabian Sport Horse Association

#30 skymare

skymare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

would seffer be available to australia? if he is then i am very seriously interested. i would like to get some varied blood out here. plus his neck will go superbly with my mare.
Breeder of Pure Crabbet Arabians.
Mill Park Anabella (Mill Park Amastar x Millbanda Bellalina)

Farnaway Golightly(pend) Colt by Senussi.