Photo

Frozen Semen Stallion List Wanting To Start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#11 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

Iron Horse Equine in Ontario has a number of stallions available frozen including Infiniti Z, the sire of Sporthorse Nationals Star CCF Integriti. http://www.ironhorse...ml/arabian1.htm While it requires a good vet (and good timing) to use frozen, I do wish we had more Arabs available, particularly those with older less popular bloodlines. Given the genetic tests now available, we would know how to better use some of the stars of the past who were ostracized as SCID or CA carriers.

#12 backyardbred

backyardbred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have thought about this subject and Select Breeders Inc. does some good stallions in the tank. However, not all are cleared for Canadian exportation. How would one go about bringing in valuable bloodlines via the frozen route anyway?

#13 Ambar

Ambar

System Janitor

• Moderators
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Best person to ask is the vet who would do the inseminating. They'll have experience (RIGHT?? :D ) and will be able to advise you of the necessary paperwork. Once you know what's needed on your end, then contact the stallion owner and see if they can provide.

"Each of us, no doubt, at one time or another has owned the best horse that ever looked through a bridle. I once owned a better one. Without taking time to prove it, I will simply admit it." -- Albert W Harris, "The Arabian Horse," The Horse, July-August 1944.

Ambar Arabians: http://ambararabians.com/

Member of International Arabians in Sport Association and California-Nevada Arabian Sport Horse Association

#14 SelectBreeders

SelectBreeders

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

We do have many Arabian stallions available through frozen semen, you can search on our Stallion Guide:
www.selectbreeders.com/stallions
We can ship semen from the US to Canada, it just requires more paperwork than a domestic shipment. The breeder in Canada is required to apply with CFIA for a import permit (http://www.inspectio...imp/perme.shtml) and we would prepare a health certificate. Sending frozen semen to Canada is actually more convenient than shipping cooled semen over the border now, given the new import requirements after the CEM outbreak in 2008. It just requires a bit more advance planning, so we have time to FedEx the health certificate to/from the USDA for endorsement prior to shipping the semen (& associated papaerwork) up to Canada.

Julie
Select Breeders

#15 backyardbred

backyardbred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Interesting...Would buying frozen semen out of storage with you include the collection fees
and processing fees that are invoiced with other types of breeding contracts.
Or would the buyer be looking at just shipping, container and stud fees?
Fascinating! Subject worthy of more information and deep thought.
Val

#16 Ambar

Ambar

System Janitor

• Moderators
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Backyardbred: speaking as the owner of one of the 63 Arabian stallions shown in SBS's Stallion Guide, you would make the purchase from the owner, and fees are up to them. Frozen semen contracts vary.

"Each of us, no doubt, at one time or another has owned the best horse that ever looked through a bridle. I once owned a better one. Without taking time to prove it, I will simply admit it." -- Albert W Harris, "The Arabian Horse," The Horse, July-August 1944.

Ambar Arabians: http://ambararabians.com/

Member of International Arabians in Sport Association and California-Nevada Arabian Sport Horse Association

#17 SelectBreeders

SelectBreeders

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi Val,

Yes, as Ambar mentioned SBS is not a broker for the frozen semen, we just handle the storage and distribution. If you were interested in a particular stallion you would contact the stallion owner to purchase a breeding contract. The stallion owner would then authorize us to release semen and you would then communicate with us to order the shipment and pay a distribution fee. Distribution fees vary depending upon the SBS affiliate lab that stores the semen.

Julie

#18 mysticrch

mysticrch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hi Julie

What are your storage fees, etc to the stallion owner?
Karen Ernst
Owner & Breeder of:
ZEUS MR (JS Padronov x MSN Zamia by Ansata Shah Zam)
2012 SHN Top Ten Arabian Sport Horse In Hand Stallion ATH

#19 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Here's the website for Select Breeders Services: http://www.selectbreeders.com/ SBS offers comprehensive frozen semen services. They collect, analyze, and freeze the semen then store it and ship it as directed by the stallion owner. One must send their stallion to an SBS facility in order to utilize their excellent services.

In my geographic area, there are several repro facilities that are equipped to freeze semen, but they offer limited storage (short term and/or for use at their facility) and no shipping to clients. For those of us in that situation, we can either ship the stallion long distance to a comprehensive facility like one of SBS's labs, or have the semen frozen by the local facility and arrange to have the frozen semen shipped to a warehouse facility from which is can then be distributed.
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#20 mysticrch

mysticrch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

I visited their website but did not see anything that stated what their costs were to the stallion owner.
Karen Ernst
Owner & Breeder of:
ZEUS MR (JS Padronov x MSN Zamia by Ansata Shah Zam)
2012 SHN Top Ten Arabian Sport Horse In Hand Stallion ATH