Photo

2012 Region 17 Select Stallion Auction & Futurity!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Still no money. I wonder just exactly how long they think is reasonable for me to wait for some money? Even if you just go by the date that I sent a letter to all board members and auction committee members, it's been over two weeks. How long exactly does it take to send a refund?
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#22 western

western

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Still no money. I wonder just exactly how long they think is reasonable for me to wait for some money? Even if you just go by the date that I sent a letter to all board members and auction committee members, it's been over two weeks. How long exactly does it take to send a refund?

I am appalled and embarassed by the Canadian Arabian Equine industry.. (as it is represented in this fiasco). Shame on our region's Stallion Auction Committee, shame on anyone who thinks it is okay to brush this issue under the carpet.
As a Canadian citizen, and an Arabian horse owner/lover... I apologize for not coming to your aid when it started to blow up.
I read with disbelief as the thread of your story unfolded over the course of the last few weeks, .... and I was surprised at how many expressed that this should remain a private matter. At a certain point, it is in the best interest of the public that voices are heard. It is glaringly obvious to me that light needed to be shed on this dark corner of the industry. How pathetic, that this scenario has happened similarly in the past, with the same shady characters. If we refuse to provide a forum to "out" those with unscrupulous business practices, how can we hope to stop this behaviour?
We need to represent a better possibility. If we didn't turn a blind eye, I doubt that you would be waiting for your monies today.

Pay this woman what she is due... and try to repair your reputations.

Pride...?

W.

#23 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

I am appalled and embarassed by the Canadian Arabian Equine industry.. (as it is represented in this fiasco). Shame on our region's Stallion Auction Committee, shame on anyone who thinks it is okay to brush this issue under the carpet.
As a Canadian citizen, and an Arabian horse owner/lover... I apologize for not coming to your aid when it started to blow up.
I read with disbelief as the thread of your story unfolded over the course of the last few weeks, .... and I was surprised at how many expressed that this should remain a private matter. At a certain point, it is in the best interest of the public that voices are heard. It is glaringly obvious to me that light needed to be shed on this dark corner of the industry. How pathetic, that this scenario has happened similarly in the past, with the same shady characters. If we refuse to provide a forum to "out" those with unscrupulous business practices, how can we hope to stop this behaviour?
We need to represent a better possibility. If we didn't turn a blind eye, I doubt that you would be waiting for your monies today.

Pride...?

W.

Thank you Western.

I am told a payment was sent on 8/23 by registered mail, which means it only took them 10 days to issue a refund. Of course, when paying for the breeding, the invoice requires "immediate payment." And I find it odd that I still have not received anything via mail from them, even though it has been a week since it was purportedly mailed. I am just across the border... I had asked for payment via PayPal as I was required to pay but I was informed they don't do Paypal. Yet see the auction rules which require immediate payment by PayPal! Go figure. So I continue to wait. It has now been 30 days since Amanda Ubell gave me her word in writing that I would have my refund, despite having waited over 2 months to allow her to come up with the money. And it is coming up on three weeks that I have been waiting on Region 17.... Not exactly what I would call good customer service. Of course I am really interested in knowing how much money they are sending since I know it is not what I paid!

Anyway, thank you to everyone who has offered their support. I am really disappointed in the way this has been handled by Amanda, Renee, and Region 17. I know that I will never conduct any business with any of them ever again. Nor would I ever recommend anyone else do so.
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#24 secondchanceranch

secondchanceranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Pride...?

W.

I agree. I'm so tired of people turning a blind eye and allowing this garbage to happen. I've had people tell me that by being vocal I am giving the industry a bad name and damaging it! lmao. Yes, it's me that is causing the demise of the industry by speaking the truth out loud, not the people who lack ethics!!! I guess I'm supposed to suck it up and ignore it like everybody else??? NOT!! The only way to stop people from taking advantage of others is to be vocal about it. The only reason the industry gets a bad name is because there are so many people willing to turn a blind eye!!! It gives the perception that nobody cares. Pointing out when people are wronged, or what's wrong with the industry, isn't what's causing it's bad reputation - I suppose if people want to blame the messenger rather than face the truth, so be it ...
Dawn Brown
Baida Arabians
Glenside, Saskatchewan, Canada
306-867-2128
dawn.scr@hotmail.com
www.baidaarabians.com

#25 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'm feeling seriously chumped. Just how long does it take for mail to cross the Canadian border and get delivered in WA state? We're not that far! But still nothing in the mail. Monday (which is a holiday) will be three weeks.
CA and SCID negative.

#26 mingjayde

mingjayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

It takes 4-6 business days according to Canada Post.If it was Taken to post office on 23rd, Friday (31) or Tuesday would be the likely time you would see it.

#27 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

It takes 4-6 business days according to Canada Post.If it was Taken to post office on 23rd, Friday (31) or Tuesday would be the likely time you would see it.

I finally received a payment yesterday. I specifically requested payment via PayPal to prevent any further delay but was told that, despite purchasers being required to pay via PayPal, Region 17 will not refund via PayPal. Double standard and not a good business practice in my opinion. As it was, I had to wait 3 1/2 months to be reimbursed for a breeding that I bought over a year ago but was told that I could not use this year, which is what it was bought for! Then, the refund was for less than I paid for the breeding!

Throughout this entire breach, Region 17 has forced me to be the one that suffers any ill consequences, despite Region 17 being the breaching party.
CA and SCID negative.

#28 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

And I'll just add that my mare now sits open as it is far too late to breed this year.

And one final thought - I learned that being nice only results in being taken advantage of. For those who operate within this industry with integrity, you are the one's who suffer the consequences because I will likely never take payments from someone or extend them the same courtesy that I extended to Amanda Ubell. That's too bad because I think the majority of people manage their horse business with integrity. It is the few the ruin it for everyone!
CA and SCID negative.

#29 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

UPDATE: So I finally got a check from Region 17 on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012 - a mere 19 days after I asked them to refund my money because Amanda Ubell was giving me the runaround and clearly had no intention of paying me.

19 days after I asked Region 17 directly (instead of relying on Amanda Ubell's word) for a refund.
3 1/2 months after Region 17 breached it's contract with me.
And almost 13 months after I paid Region 17 AND Region 17 received the funds for the breeding via PayPal.

So today I took the check that I received to my credit union to deposit it. Well, I took it to the shared branch where I always do my banking as my credit union is on the other side of the mountains from me so my area gets to use "shared branches" - that is, other credit unions that agree to trade services with my credit union. So I went in to deposit the check but was told I can't deposit it through a shared branch - I either have to mail it to Seattle or drive over there (2 1/2 hours each way). That's not a good answer so I left to go to my other credit union. At that location I was informed that it will take a MINIMUM of 15 DAYS for that check to clear. Again, it was emphasised MINIMUM. So, at best, I might see this partial payment (because they did not reimburse me what I paid!!!) maybe around the end of September. Nice. Gotta love Region 17's ethics, customer service, and desire to build a good reputation within the community. NOT!

For any of you in the US who are even thinking about buying a breeding from this auction, I strongly encourage you to rethink it. Should it not go as planned (e.g., you get an email saying sorry, you can't use the breeding you bought this year), you are going to get screwed and given the Royal runaround!!!

Now keep in mind Region 17 rules demand immediate payment via PayPal and if not paid within 3 days, they will sell the breeding to someone else. Talk about a double standard! I asked for my refund to be given via PayPal because 1) I knew it would take forever for me to receive something in the mail (in fact, it took 19 days total for them to get me the check) and 2) I knew it would take forever to clear my bank. So nevermind doing right by the customer - screw the customer and do whatever the h3ll Region 17 feels like doing because, after all, if you don't like, feel free to sue them in Alberta - at least that's what I told.

ETA: And lest anyone think the 15 minimum time period to "process" the check was isolated to that credit union - it is not. It is the standard process that every Canadian check (whether check or money order) must go through in order to be converted to US funds. Of course, I had to give them payment via PayPal where the funds were immediately convereted and made available to them, but when the shoe is on the other foot, I hear their mantra of "we don't or can't do PayPal." What a bunch of BS!
CA and SCID negative.

#30 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

...very very unfortunate all around...the points have been made...I think the lessons are that rules need to be clear and comprehensive re service being sold and that any future Canadian auctions, organized by whomever, need to be restricted to stallions standing in Canada (because of the cross-border shipping delays) and limited to Canadian bidders...the border is not as permeable as it once was...