Photo

Strange marking on horse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

So I've seen strange white markings, I've seen funny appy markings, but I've never seen an Arab with a spot.

My three year old stud has a black marking on his side, that he's had since birth. Its about the size of a silver dollar but not as smooth around the edges. Solid black hairs, all the way down. He's a bay.

The barn owner where he was born used to joke that he was just trying to fit in with the appy's in the barn but its driving me nuts...I have no clue what it is. My vet has looked at it, he said its nothing to worry about, more than likely it's just a birthmark...but I've never seen a horse with a birthmark.

I'm posting a picture from my phone...he's dirty, but you can see the black spot on his side. What do you guys think it is?

#2 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

So I've seen strange white markings, I've seen funny appy markings, but I've never seen an Arab with a spot.

My three year old stud has a black marking on his side, that he's had since birth. Its about the size of a silver dollar but not as smooth around the edges. Solid black hairs, all the way down. He's a bay.

The barn owner where he was born used to joke that he was just trying to fit in with the appy's in the barn but its driving me nuts...I have no clue what it is. My vet has looked at it, he said its nothing to worry about, more than likely it's just a birthmark...but I've never seen a horse with a birthmark.

I'm posting a picture from my phone...he's dirty, but you can see the black spot on his side. What do you guys think it is?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20110927_134558-1.jpg

#3 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

Sorry, your pic didn't come through. ETA: guess while I was posting you were fixing!
Maybe your horse is exhibiting the bay version of Bend Or spots.
Color genetics can take some weird forms, check out the purebred Arabians pictured here!
http://www.whitehors...cg_basics4.html

I have a bay App yearling gelding who has a blanket with white spots in it. He has ONE buckskin spot about the size of a dime. His dam is buckskin. I've been tempted to send in a creme color test on him just to see what it would say.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Baileys Khaffe Latte buckskin HA gelding
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding
Tenebria MSL black HA filly SOLD

#4 Integrity Arabians

Integrity Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

Bend Or Spot is what it is. Just a marking that happens from time to time, nothing to worry about.

Michelle
Om El Faria 1996 Bay Arabian Mare
(Sanadik El Shaklan X Bint Bint Faaris) - FOR SALE or LEASE

Goodale Entertainment - Video Editing, Motion Graphics, & Photography

#5 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Bend Or Spot is what it is. Just a marking that happens from time to time, nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys! I've never heard of Bend Or Spot. Glad its nothing to worry about :-)

#6 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

my boy has one too, on his bum :)

Posted Image

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#7 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

I look upon the marking as a special gift. They make the horse unique and unlike any other. Aspen has a neat marking on one side only. I'll be able to pick her out of a sea of greys. The real question is can she pick me out of a sea of old guys? :lol:

I was going to post a picture but my upload quota has been reduced to 7.32MB for some unknown reason. Since I have used 83.49MB up to this point, my pic posting days appear to be over. :(

Mike
http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown
Posted Image CARROT PLEASE Posted Image

#8 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

I look upon the marking as a special gift. They make the horse unique and unlike any other. Aspen has a neat marking on one side only. I'll be able to pick her out of a sea of greys. The real question is can she pick me out of a sea of old guys? :lol:

I was going to post a picture but my upload quota has been reduced to 7.32MB for some unknown reason. Since I have used 83.49MB up to this point, my pic posting days appear to be over. :(

Mike

Pssss! Can this be fixed!?!?!?! :icon_apostpics: :warning_3: :futile: We all Love Mike's posts and pics so much!

#9 PINEWOOD ARABIANS

PINEWOOD ARABIANS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Take a look at this marking! It is getting more and more prominent as he gets whiter and whiter. This is a Showkayce son and Carol Steppe, Showkayce's owner thinks the bloody shoulder trait is just manifesting itself on his face. I think it is pretty cool!

Attached Thumbnails

• Kayceeno PWA 7-29-10_17a.jpg

PINEWOOD ARABIANS
526 N. ROOTE AVENUE, MANSFIELD, MISSOURI 65704 * 417-924-8856 * debraj01@centurytel.net

At Stud PSOULFIRE (Padrons Psyche x GFA Firen Lace by Afire Bey V) *** KAYCEENO PWA (Showkayce x Joras Honey Queen)

Home Of CCA IndpendenzBey (Bey Shah x SR Mardi Graz) *** Joras Honey Queen (CSA Dallas x Jora Tez by Jora Honey Ku)
Alada Vanity (Alada Baskin I x Mars Lady Vanity by Marsianin) *** Aabsolut Enchantment (Aabsolut x Enchantilly by Enchanter Magic FHP)
Ecahnaten PWA (Ecaho x Enchantilly by Enchanter Magic FHP) *** Psoul Queen PWA (Psoulfire x Joras Honey Queen) *** Pserafina PWA (Psoulfire x Spartakiss)

#10 WSArabians

WSArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

Colour genetics can be such fun! I got a grey Ecaho grandson that is trying to look like an Appy.
That Showkayce son is neat! Haven't seen the likes of that beore!

Whispering Secret Arabians
www.wsarabians.wix.com/home
Registered Solid and Sabino Arabians!