Photo

Should I show halter?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

First...please excuse the pictures. I know they aren't the best. My camera person is my 8 year old daughter and I only have internet on my phone so I have to just use the phone camera. That being said I'm trying to decide if I should just stick with sport horse with my two horses or try them in halter classes as well. These are straight out of the pasture pictures with a very light training schedule.

The first and second pictures are my stallion. He's sired by Khemos's Saffire and out of my mare, MTS Fanciful Bey. He's Khemo/Sotep/Raffon/Huckleberry Bey bred.

The third and fourth pictures are my mare. She will be 24 next year and I think I may show her next year. We are definatly going to show in SHIH but I think I would like to try her in halter.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20111018_150822-1.jpg
  • IMG_20111018_150702-1.jpg
  • IMG_20111017_175620-1.jpg
  • 217633_1053945987079_1178681007_30168585_1109_n.jpg

#2 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

Give it a try, but take a look at the Nationals pix to see how your mare needs to stand up. www.ferraraphoto.com She will need to stay up and keeep the weight on her rear end while still reaching w/ her neck. Here she is leaning on her forehand.

#3 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

Very odd looking left front foot on the stallion.
MaryJo

#4 Susanrae

Susanrae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Very odd looking left front foot on the stallion.

I noticed that as well. OP, are you aware what you have to put into promoting and showing a stallion? Very expensive, very stressful ( on you and the horse a lot of times), and frankly, you and he will have a lot more fun not showing halter,not worrying about selling breedings, and letting him be a horse ( gelding). In this economy, it is a really tough battle for very experienced folks who are set up for it. I am not being mean, in case it sounds that way. I am just speaking as an owner of four stallions who knows how difficult and expensive it is in reality. :( So nobody yell at me here.:)

#5 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

I looked at the picture after it was mentioned. It appears that he has a white hoof and you are seeing the dirt on it and thinking that is all of it. If you look closely you will see the rest of the hoof that kind of blends in with the dirt. I had to use my phone so I could zoom in on it real well to actually see all of the hoof.

#6 TripleHFarm

TripleHFarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

I see no reason to show a 24 year old mare in a halter class.

#7 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I am going to be showing her either way...she hates retirement and loves showing off for people. I know she's going to be 24 next year but she's sound and can out trot every single horse at the barn. I just wanted to know if she would be competitive in halter or not.

My stud has nothing wrong with his legs...my vet is very big on legs and is an honest man. If he wasn't correct, he would have told me to geld him. He is however not the style of halter horses today...but he's my dream boy. I do know how much it costs to promote a stallion and all the care they require. I go back and forth on gelding him and have told the people interested in breeding to him, to talk to me in the spring. I will not breed an agressive stallion or one that does not prove himself and I am very selective over what I will breed him to. He is well socialized, turned out with the geldings, can see the mares. He gets walked on the trails as he is not broke to ride and can be behind or in front of the other horses.

I will geld him at 5-6 if his attitude changes from what it is or he finishes maturing and looks horrible. I asked about halter because I had been told to show him halter by a few retired breeders and as much as I respect them, they haven't shown/been to a show recently. I thank you all for your honesty and will not show either halter :-)

#8 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

I am going to be showing her either way...she hates retirement and loves showing off for people. I know she's going to be 24 next year but she's sound and can out trot every single horse at the barn. I just wanted to know if she would be competitive in halter or not.

My stud has nothing wrong with his legs...my vet is very big on legs and is an honest man. If he wasn't correct, he would have told me to geld him. He is however not the style of halter horses today...but he's my dream boy. I do know how much it costs to promote a stallion and all the care they require. I go back and forth on gelding him and have told the people interested in breeding to him, to talk to me in the spring. I will not breed an agressive stallion or one that does not prove himself and I am very selective over what I will breed him to. He is well socialized, turned out with the geldings, can see the mares. He gets walked on the trails as he is not broke to ride and can be behind or in front of the other horses.

I will geld him at 5-6 if his attitude changes from what it is or he finishes maturing and looks horrible. I asked about halter because I had been told to show him halter by a few retired breeders and as much as I respect them, they haven't shown/been to a show recently. I thank you all for your honesty and will not show either halter :-)

What is his registered name? Just curious.
MaryJo

#9 Pheobe

Pheobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

What is his registered name? Just curious.

He doesn't have one yet...my fault. I can't think of a name that I like...been scratching my head for years on it. I know I have to pay more to have him registered and I need to think of one soon because I filled out all the info except his name and I need to send it in. I had the perfect filly name picked out. I am open to suggestions though.

All I have right now is Toby :p

#10 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

for all you guys who jumped on Phoebe about her studs front leg if you enlarge the photo and really look at the shadow of the horse then you will see the legs are square and the shadow extends to the back of the front leg and makes the leg look weird but in a pic below you see both legs better with out the shadow and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either one of his front legs
Barb Walker