Photo

LEG CONFORMATION LESSON

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#21 horsendane

horsendane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

I'll take a shot, but I am a TOTAL amature when it comes to conformation critiques.

It looks like she toes out in the front and back and has a narrow base in the front. I would have to see a side conformation shot to see if she is behind at the knee or it could be the pic.

Again, just a guess!

I will add a side shot...

#22 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

The dish in the front foot is most likely caused by laminitis or founder.

#23 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Ok. I will take a stab at it. Even though I am a complete amateur also. I think it is called "cow hocked" in the back as it looks like her leg comes down at an inward angle from the hip to the hock and then outward from the hock to the hoof. The front does not look as drastic but it looks like she is toeing out in the front. I am guessing her but she has Egyptian in her as her chest is very narrow. Have you tried corrective shoeing on her to see if the farrier can bring her somewhat back in line?

#24 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

After reading the Other Thread & seeing how it was Closed I was hoping someone would re-start one along these lines. I will re-size some photos here shortly and post them, along with their pedigrees. They are all MY horses and I pretty much know their faults so don't mind them being "ripped" here on a forum at all. I DO think it is important to have an ID with the photos, as we are talking about inheritable weaknesses --- and I'll betcha some of you have relatives of my horses that do too! ;)

#25 SDLArabians

SDLArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

Ok. I will take a stab at it. Even though I am a complete amateur also. I think it is called "cow hocked" in the back as it looks like her leg comes down at an inward angle from the hip to the hock and then outward from the hock to the hoof. The front does not look as drastic but it looks like she is toeing out in the front. I am guessing her but she has Egyptian in her as her chest is very narrow. Have you tried corrective shoeing on her to see if the farrier can bring her somewhat back in line?

I would have to respectuflly disagree that Egyptians have narrow chests. There surely aren't any narrow chests in our barn!
Breeders of performance straight Egyptian Arabians.
Meet your opportunity .... El Rashiid MA [El Majiid x Maar-Riana]

Alison

"El Rashiid MA is bred generations deep to sire beautiful athletes" ~ Arlene Magid

Posted Image

#26 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Agree with this. Coon foot can develop over time with a condition that wears down the suspensory ligament and tendon that runs down the back of the leg. I forget the actual name of that condition. I see old horse at my friends sanctuary with it though.

Suspensory desmitis .

#27 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Here we go this is PRIZE (Pedigree: http://www.allbreedp...ickets surprize )

PRIZE SMALL side1.jpg

Prize Small side2.jpg

What faults do ya'll see?

#28 horsendane

horsendane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

Yes she is cow hocked, as far as her forelegs, it is the one that does the weird twist below the knee. We have yet to try corrective shoeing as at this point. It will be one of our next steps, this is the rescue mare we had picked up recently. I have no knowledge of what her bloodlines are, I've been told that she could be 1/2 Standardbred.

#29 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

This is FLAIR, by the same sire as PRIZE (pedigree: http://www.allbreedp...com/flairzafire )

Flair SMALL.jpg

FLAIR Small Side2.jpg

Similarities? Same faults, or different ones?

#30 horsendane

horsendane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

The dish in the front foot is most likely caused by laminitis or founder.

Which one? Mine?