Photo

LEG CONFORMATION LESSON

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#181 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

I would like to tell anyone who is interested that the mare certainly is not coonfooted. She has a club foot. She looks as though she may have had some sort of injury at some time on that front leg. I find it strange that based upon one photograph someone can make an opinion like that. I certainly wouldn't

~ I would also like to add that if one is discussing conformation that a conformation photo be used. This is a portrait photo of a horse trotting showing that she is pretty and moves very well. A conformation photo would be one where all feet are standing squarely on the groud.

Tracy

I think that was the problem with both threads - a single picture that did not show the horses legs , then we were told what the fault was . Many people commented that your mare was trotting and there was no way to tell if she was coonfooted. Maybe the lesson we learned is not to judge a horse based on a single picture .

#182 BEYOND BEY

BEYOND BEY

www.webstersarabians.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:52 AM

I think that was the problem with both threads - a single picture that did not show the horses legs , then we were told what the fault was . Many people commented that your mare was trotting and there was no way to tell if she was coonfooted. Maybe the lesson we learned is not to judge a horse based on a single picture .

I am not sure what the other thread was - could you direct me to it please?

I am not denying that the horse has a club foot but it is the white nearside hoof not the dark offside hoof. She is a beautiful mare with so many other great qualities.

Attached Thumbnails

• Maddie Egyptian Event.jpg

Tracy Webster
www.webstersarabians.com

#183 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

Guys...you really need to start using conformation photos as most the photos here the horse is moving, walking a half step forward, standing under themselves etc. How can you properly judge the TRUE conformation with a horse in all these poses?

And what are you judging the horse for? In comparison to our breed standard? For a certain discipline ? Are you going form to function or are you judging on breed models?

Just wondering as I think using good solid conformation photos with permission from their source would be the best way to do this? On that list someone brought up, it is a great list but one thing can happen if we get TOO mired down in form to function we can forget that one last quality that makes the arabian horse special.....that quality which has no word and has no meaning , its in the heart :)

And your heart knows too, not just your eye

And.....we need to know club foot, offset cannons, low set tail, neck set badly , no mitbah, bad head, cow hocked etc. We DO need to know what these look like BUT we also need to remember that every horse has flaws and I would prefer a horse with a few small flaws scattered through his or her frame than a horse with one huge flaw glaring at me in the in face.

It took me years to learn some of this stuff and I had to do it on real living arabs. A photo is great but only if the horse is standing in a fair way for judging conformation. I really hate and cringe to see photos of a horse moving/walking forward/leaning forward etc.
Signature being edited, too large.

#184 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

How can you properly judge the TRUE conformation with a horse in all these poses?

If you can't, you probably need more practice. How a horse MOVES will tell you just as much, if not more, about its conformation as getting it all stood up pretty. Any conformational awkwardness will show up as a horse moves around. Try following a pasture horse around and watch each movement. Does a foreleg show a bit of awkwardness as it moves forward? Do hind legs not quite move under the horse enough? Do you know how all the joints and tendons connect and move together? You should; it's a large part of what makes conformation.

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#185 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

If you can't, you probably need more practice. How a horse MOVES will tell you just as much, if not more, about its conformation as getting it all stood up pretty. Any conformational awkwardness will show up as a horse moves around. Try following a pasture horse around and watch each movement. Does a foreleg show a bit of awkwardness as it moves forward? Do hind legs not quite move under the horse enough? Do you know how all the joints and tendons connect and move together? You should; it's a large part of what makes conformation.

No, it is not about me needing more practice. It is about using PHOTOS of a horse moving instead of in person. A video maybe would work better.

Please don't get all snide with me. I have a valid point on using these types of inappropriate photos for conformation evaluation . If its a VIDEO or you are in person yes....if this is the case of a horse taking a step forward and you click the camera, no, I really don't want that used to evaluate conformation as it is simply not accurate.

We are talking about PHOTOS if you would read my post, NOT a horse in person or a video.
Signature being edited, too large.