Photo

Addis Auctions Winter Sale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
325 replies to this topic

#21 kukrae

kukrae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

I'm drooling over 2, but unless my apt complex allowed them to live on my porch...AND I found an all-important money tree... I hope they all find fabulous homes. I will simply save the videos to drool over :) Good luck to everyone both consigning and buying!!

Tamara
kukrae

#22 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

The Shea's and Maroon Fire Arabians have some cute English horses in the sale............

#23 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

I see the heights are being a bit "exaggerated" again on some of the horses.................LOL

#24 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

I see the heights are being a bit "exaggerated" again on some of the horses.................LOL

That really causes folks to not want to bid or to investigate some horses. It is not that hard to have a measuring stick with a level.

Some of us require a horse of a particular stature. Not a 16.1 hand horse that is actually 15.1
MaryJo

#25 Chelsea

Chelsea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

My trainer has another in the western portion of this auction. If you want color & athletic ability, check out Mr Bling Bling.

PA Layla++/ 2016 Canadian National Champion Arabian Hunter Pl AAOTR & Top Ten AATR, 2014 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR; 2016, 2015 & 2014 Canadian National Top Ten SHIH ATH (x 5)

WOA Matador+/ 2013 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR, 2012 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR, 2010 US National Top Ten AAOTR

S Just DiMaggio++/ 2016 Canadian National Top Ten in SHIH (x 4) and Training Level ATR, 2010 Canadian National Top Ten Jackpot Colt

#26 faerie

faerie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Yes heights were exaggerated in the past. You need to train a horse to a measuring stick unless it is a privately owned and handled horse perhaps. THose in the bigger barns are NOT fond of an introduction to a stick by a stranger.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

#27 kcofholt

kcofholt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

We have two in the Hunter section, the height is correct.....and it's barefoot height
Personally I do not need a stick to tell how tall a horse is. (we did double check ours for the auction)

I am 5'3" better know as 15-3.
Eye level is 15-0.
Chin level is 14-2

I have had a lot of fun when looking at horses advertized as 16 & I see over them ;)

Years ago a friend of mine would not lie on the height of her herd... lost a lot of sales until she started saying "not sure of the height, just have too many to measure":
The client would come out, love a horse, thought it was 15-2, & purchase her 14-3 horse.
BRANDY SIOUX
"Champion Equine Athletes"
since 1967

#28 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

My trainer has another in the western portion of this auction. If you want color & athletic ability, check out Mr Bling Bling.

he is so cute & exactly the markings I have always wanted (but I am forcing myself not to buy any more)

as for size, despite all the topics saying it doesn't matter, it actually does .......... else why exaggerate?
sorry if I offend anyone but "eyeballing it" just doesn't work. I am 5'9" and if I can see over the horse it is not 15.3 when you honestly measure
same as motion for the saddleseat horses - - why put "things" on the horses to make them appear to have more trot?
(ah yes, no one will buy them if they are not advertised as tall or trotty)

I see a lot of good quality horses in this sale compared to many of their other auctions over the years - - shoppers are going to find some great show horses here I think. bottom line - - let's hope the good prices of the last few sales hold up and many of us will have managed to reduce our numbers of horses, plus some good horses will have new happy owners.

#29 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:14 AM

Some nice horses in this sale- I love your greys, siiamese.

#30 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:24 AM

Well isn't that comforting! Between what you and Faerie have said sounds like its only "safe" to fly out and look at a horse or stick close to home where you can drive!

I guess I already know that tho: went to look at a "kids" horse a few years ago at BNT. Told BNT up front my daughter is a TIMID rider and she needs something "kid safe" and quiet. Horse was VERY hot and FAST : NOT for a timid young rider. Actually now that I'm thinking about it it happened w/another BNT as well. This horse was at Addis: again didn't oversell my daughter's abilities or personality (stressed her timidity and beginner status) when I called BNT before the sale about this horse. At the sale I saw the horse ridden by another BNT before we went to look at her and she was a handful for him! AT least when Addis had on site sales you could look at a large amount of horses and compare them, ride them, think about it for a couple of days. I know this new method is great for the sellers but is it REALLY the best for the buyers?

But I do agree with the rest of you: some super nice horses I "think" I'd give my "eye-teeth" for!