Photo
- - - - -

New official statement from AHAA regarding AHA Resolution 17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#11 SandStone

SandStone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

Come 'on AAHA, put BOTH feet in the batters box!

There should be no hesitation to make what we all know to be a positive move - the ethical treatment and showing of our Arabian horse!

Can't you see the number of people standing behind this? Have you read the comments written on the petition? This is a movement. And a good one at that.
"Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire."

SandStone Arabians ~ Black Al Khamsa Arabians
Posted Image

http://www.sandstonearabians.com/
Posted Image

http://www.hiredhanddesign.net/
Posted Image

#12 ebsaffyre

ebsaffyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

a big thank you, Stacy for bringing this here!
The past is history, the future is a mystery and this moment is a gift. That's why this moment is called 'the present'.

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. -- Dave Barry, humor writer

SAFFYRE ARABIANS
Home of Caleyndar, SA Cassia (Caleyndar x Amira Padronov MR), and SA Calidora (Caleyndar x Bint Sanadik)

SAFFYRE SANCTUARY
Please help Arabians in Need - Your Support is Greatly Appreciated

#13 innishfael

innishfael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

i got to see the new scoring system used at MN Fall Fest last month - while i did hear some gripes from spectators about the length of the classes, i only had one comment for them....

the new scoring system allows time for the judges to look at EVERY horse for the same amount of time, no matter who is on the lead rope and assess them accordingly. i know that for myself, i would show at arabian shows more if i KNEW the judges would be looking at my horse.

i signed the petition and sincerely hope the new scoring system is not shot down. EVERY horse in EVERY class deserves a the same assessment.

sheila - innishfael farm
Posted Image

#14 hotelyankeefoxtrot

hotelyankeefoxtrot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

I don't see what's so bad about their response. I think it's got some valid concerns.

I also agree that the Scoring system won't do anything about the hard standup or abuse in the halter ring - it's a bunch of propaganda put forth by the supporters of the system, at best.

#15 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

Take a look at the scorecard posted in my previous post.

How many of you think that you could not use it today?

Now imagine if you were to go through a class that tells you what below average, average, above average meant. How many could not use it?

Anyone who has passed the judges school had darn well better be able to tell what is below, average and above or they should be throwing in their judging towel.

I think most of us could take that card to a show, watch the class and score it fairly effectively even from the stands. Imagine how much clearer the conformation is when the horse is right in front of you, all by itself!

TRANSPARENCY!!!!! That is the real tag word here. What are the judges afraid we are going to see if this card is utilized? What do the trainers think the owners and folks they have recommended breedings to are going to see?????? Why are these people so afraid of TRANSPARENCY!?!?!??!?

Attached Thumbnails

• AHA_Scorecard_001.jpg

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#16 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

I don't see what's so bad about their response. I think it's got some valid concerns.

I also agree that the Scoring system won't do anything about the hard standup or abuse in the halter ring - it's a bunch of propaganda put forth by the supporters of the system, at best.

Not true Alex, I've seen halter horses so intimated they won't trot out of fear of the handler.Under a scored system they couldn't or shouldn't win. I saw the same horse being schooled later in the week for the ammi class, the minute the bnt came near she started shaking leaving no doubt that it was him not being shown that was her fear.No more short cuts beating the crap out of halter horses ;)

Posted Image

Copyright 2010

Heidi

TripleHfarm

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
IMANA 2006 bay mare
MALIK AL AASIF 2007 Grey Colt
AL RAZEEL 2010 Chestnut colt for sale
SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

We reserve the banners in signatures for ABN's paying banner sponsors. We'd love to have you join sponsoring ABN in the coming year.

#17 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

I hope that by pursuing this and posting AAHA's clarification you all see that you don't have to be wrapped up in the show world to be involved with a discussion of this type. I have NO AGENDA here, I don't show halter or have halter horses. I am a woman who loves her horses and supports the Arabian breed.

Sometimes an outsider can see the whole picture better than those deeply involved and passionately energised. I was reading a whole bunch of negative statements and words that were not based in fact. But I could find very little expanded explanation of AAHA's way of thinking. With Dean's help contact with the board was made and the result is now here for all to see.

I am so proud that ABN allows us all to be heard, to feel like we are a part of the big picture. Let's go forth and use it wisely.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#18 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

Alex, it is only propaganda when it is not what one believes. For instance I would see the contents of the AAHA letter as propaganda. ;)

You may be right. The scorecard may not eliminate abuse, in fact I will go as far as saying it will not eliminate all abusive training tactics as some trainers just will not change.

However, it will reduce the amount of time the horse has to be under stress because it will reduce the amount of time the handler has to stand them up which in turn will greatly reduce the amount of stress the horse has in the show ring.

If AAHA will not use the scorecard the least they could do to show they are willing to reduce abuse/stress is eliminate the final standup!!!!

For those trainers who want to earn those extra movement points, they will work harder on trotting than on standing.

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#19 Bob

Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

I've read Myron has studied this system all over the word, and you tell me our judges haven't been trained yet??????????I don't blame the Scottsdale group for not wanting to be the first. It's been a year since this was adopted by AHA, Who is not doing their jobs?

1/3 of the Arabian Judging Pool have completed the Training Seminar for the new system and by the time it comes into effect in 2008, 2/3 will have been through the Training Seminar. Having judges available is not a problem at all.

Bob Wasylyk
Willow View Arabians

www.willowviewarabians.net

#20 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

One spoiled apple ruins the whole barrel! in this case one whip happy trainer, tars the whole bunch.

Posted Image

Copyright 2010

Heidi

TripleHfarm

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
IMANA 2006 bay mare
MALIK AL AASIF 2007 Grey Colt
AL RAZEEL 2010 Chestnut colt for sale
SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

We reserve the banners in signatures for ABN's paying banner sponsors. We'd love to have you join sponsoring ABN in the coming year.