Photo
- - - - -

New official statement from AHAA regarding AHA Resolution 17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#121 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

Lorry,

The difference is that they can not haze the horses themselves. Only the horse entering the ring will be allowed to be hazed And if they do it like they did in Canada last year, they will have one competent person assigned as the official hazer and no one else will be allowed any shenanigans.

This allows the horse to be woken up without the hysterics and danger that we witnessed in the paddocks in previous years when trotting in was allowed. Not to mention, the horse has to now be able to trot in, so the handlers will want them energized not psychotic.

At our Regionals, our steward puts a stop to hazing in the paddock. The trainers - several of whom are BNT who are brought in to catch handle - all comply. If they see that the rules are enforced for everyone and there is no unfair advantage being given some over others, then handlers do as directed.

What will be required is show commissions with the guts to say NO HAZING and empower the show stewards to strictly control the paddocks! That is no different than before this resolution passed. As has always been the case, it is the character of the show management that dictates what is allowed to happen at a show.

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#122 lorry

lorry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

What will be required is show commissions with the guts to say NO HAZING and empower the show stewards to strictly control the paddocks! That is no different than before this resolution passed. As has always been the case, it is the character of the show management that dictates what is allowed to happen at a show.

It's not what goes on in the holding paddock. It's what goes on at home in preparation. When horses have to "WALK" into the arena (and they should walk in at least half way, preferably all the way) then the abuse that goes on at home is counter productive.

The halter/breeding classes are not supposed to be for entertainment. They are supposed to be a way of collectively showing a group of horses to a judge(s) for physical evaluation...NOT entertainment for an audience.

Time will tell if I am right and this change back to trotting in is counter-productive.
Lorry Wagner
Sierra Dawn Arabians
http://www.sdarabians.com

#123 lorry

lorry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

The halter/breeding classes ARE NOT JUST ABOUT physical evaluation of Arabian horses. Set up Kuerings for that-if necessary. JMHO, that will not be necessariy with a score card.

You cannot evaluate charisma honestly if it is "enhanced." The Arabian charisma can be especially evaluated watching the horse walk into the arena. Then you know it is "really the horse" and "not enhanced."

It is truly frustrating to me, that you condem ALL Arabian horses today. Get out and about more. There are breeders that care about Arabian Horses, and breed them well there are trainers that train them well, there are judges that judge them well. A scorecard will help educate those judges-that don't.

JMHO!

I have NEVER condemned ALL Arabian horses of today. Only the manner in which they are presented which "most often" reflects less than good horsemanship to get "the presentation."

I rest my case. Time will tell. It did the last time.
Lorry Wagner
Sierra Dawn Arabians
http://www.sdarabians.com