Photo
- - - - -

New official statement from AHAA regarding AHA Resolution 17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#1 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

I want to thank the AHAA for addressing this controversial topic and allowing me to post their views here on ABN for open and positive discussion.
Stacy

Arabian Horse Association of Arizona Official Statement regarding AHA Resolution 17 Arabian Scoring System to be Optional

The Arabian Horse Association of Arizona (AHAA) producers of the "Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show" are passionate about the ethical treatment and care of Arabian horses and are dedicated to providing an environment where horse lovers can experience the beauty of these magnificent animals. The Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show not only offers an environment for the highest level of Arabian horse competition in all divisions, but spends much of its efforts introducing the general public to the majesty and versatility of the Arabian horse.

AHAA has proposed a resolution (AHA Resolution 17 Arabian Scoring System to be Optional) that would make the Arabian Scoring System optional for Arabian horse shows. We have proposed this resolution because the following concerns have been raised by Arabian horse owners, exhibitors and judges from across the country:

Judges are not yet fully educated on the Arabian Scoring System.

AHA judges as of April 2008 will have to judge halter horses using a system many of them have not yet been trained in or received detailed information on. In fairness to the judges we would like for them to be trained in the system and have an opportunity to use it and feel comfortable judging in this manner prior to mandating it for all shows.

Class procedures have not yet been clearly defined.

As of today, no additional information has been distributed to AHA judges or show management since passing in November of 2006. Many questions still persist as to how the scoring system will handle class procedures (e.g. multiple sections, championship classes etc.).

The Arabian Scoring System does not eliminate what many refer to as the "hard stand-up" from halter classes.

Both systems still require the horse to stand-up in front of the judge(s), therefore equine stress will not be reduced and some have argued that the Arabian Scoring System may increase the stress on the horse.

Operational impact of this judging system is not known.

To date, few Arabian horse shows or Arabian horse exhibitors have used this scoring system and its impact on show implementation is not yet clearly defined.

What the Arabian Horse Association of Arizona is proposing through AHA Resolution 17 is that the Arabian Scoring System be optional so that it can be implemented in a careful and responsible manner to give it every opportunity to succeed. AHAA is not opposing this system. We are merely asking that the shows have an option until the above concerns have been addressed. We look forward to using the Arabian Scoring System in the future but feel that there are too many unanswered questions for it to be mandated without more education and proper implementation.

We encourage healthy dialogue on this issue.

Bill Flood President & AHAA Board of Directors

www.scottsdaleshow.com

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#2 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

The Arabian Scoring System does not eliminate what many refer to as the "hard stand-up" from halter classes . Both systems still require the horse to stand-up in front of the judge(s), therefore equine stress will not be reduced and some have argued that the Arabian Scoring System may increase the stress on the horse.
It does elimate the final stand up, which is where the most stress is put on horses
THANKS MO!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Copyright 2010

Heidi

TripleHfarm

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
IMANA 2006 bay mare
MALIK AL AASIF 2007 Grey Colt
AL RAZEEL 2010 Chestnut colt for sale
SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

We reserve the banners in signatures for ABN's paying banner sponsors. We'd love to have you join sponsoring ABN in the coming year.

#3 ebsaffyre

ebsaffyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

they are joking - right? What is wrong with these people? IMO - their reasoning is ludicrous and they appear to have made another shot into their proverbial other foot.

Can someone please post the new scoring card and approved resolution here so we can compare these statements with it...
The past is history, the future is a mystery and this moment is a gift. That's why this moment is called 'the present'.

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. -- Dave Barry, humor writer

SAFFYRE ARABIANS
Home of Caleyndar, SA Cassia (Caleyndar x Amira Padronov MR), and SA Calidora (Caleyndar x Bint Sanadik)

SAFFYRE SANCTUARY
Please help Arabians in Need - Your Support is Greatly Appreciated

#4 WebMaster

WebMaster

ABN CEO

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,664 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

We encourage healthy dialogue on this issue.

Thanks Everyone..

An Open dialog is the first step... in positive discussions...

#5 K2 Arabians

K2 Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Bottom line...Judges need to be held accountable. 3 Strike Rule could be an option.

Kenna & Robert Burbeck
"Love what you have, make what you love, and you will be successful."

Posted Image

#6 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:51 PM

Well I am certainly dissappointed in this response. :D

When I heard the AAHA were meeting I was so hopeful that there would be some sort of ground breaking move to show that they do want to see better treatment of our halter horses. There is nothing new here. We already new the reason for the resolution. It is bogus!

There are enough judges that will have been trained by Scottsdale 2009 which is the first time AAHA would have to utilize this system for that show. There will have been enough other major shows that will have used the system and by Feb 2009, the trainers and show management will all know how it works!!!

AAHA, you host one of the greatest Arabian shows on Earth. Right now you can make a choice to be leaders in the Arabian show world and be the first to implement real change and show the world that Scottsdale will not tolerate abuse or you can continue with the status quo where money talks and business rules.

You have a real opportunity to change the way halter is perceived. Take a risk and step up to the plate with something that shows the horses are your first priority!

What don't judges like about the scorecard??? The penalty box??? Well then don't use it.
What does management not like about the system??? It will take to much time??? Well by eliminating that final stand up, you eliminate the greatest waste of time in the whole class!!!!

Come on AAHA, we know you have good people on your board. We know you want what is best for all. Come up with something to show you are leaders!

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#7 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

I've read Myron has studied this system all over the word, and you tell me our judges haven't been trained yet??????????I don't blame the Scottsdale group for not wanting to be the first. It's been a year since this was adopted by AHA, Who is not doing their jobs?

Posted Image

Copyright 2010

Heidi

TripleHfarm

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
IMANA 2006 bay mare
MALIK AL AASIF 2007 Grey Colt
AL RAZEEL 2010 Chestnut colt for sale
SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

We reserve the banners in signatures for ABN's paying banner sponsors. We'd love to have you join sponsoring ABN in the coming year.

#8 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

The scorecard is on the halter scorecard thread
I will see if I can post it here from there

edit to add, I could not transfer it. Someone else please help.

Attached Thumbnails

• AHA_Scorecard_001.jpg

Edited by Marketing, 10 October 2007 - 04:17 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#9 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well folks, I was hoping that the result would have been positive.... let's keep the petition going, people!!! It seems to me that 1 1/2 years in enough time to at least address the issue. IMO , I think the AHAA & AHA were hoping this would all go away & current pratices continue. Why don't we inudate (sp??) them with emails expressing our opinion? And PLEASE keep them on topic without rudeness or bashing their org. Remember, it's all in the approach.......Thanks Esta, for keeping this issue on the forefront and Mora's girl, thanks for posting AHAA's response!

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#10 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

Yes Stacy, I forgot to say thanks for pursuing a communication with AAHA. That was a very proactive direction.

This is the first step in discussion. Learning what the fears and concerns of the opposition is.
They know ours. So now we need to start working at that common ground!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008