Photo

biteing problem in young stallion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

I've bitten Harley and he didn't care for it, but now he gets his head up in the air where I can't reach, so that won't work anymore. Granted, now today after I got all over him Sunday, he came up and was lippy but not mouthy if that makes sense. He rubbed his nose all over my palm but didn't offer teeth, so I was fine with that. So, we'll keep on working at it, I think he'll learn fairly quickly, he's his mother's son after all and she's one of the smartest horses I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

The new on farm trainer I have can't get over how big he is for a yearling. His B-day was 4/7/10 so he's just 1 yr 3 mos and he's freakin HUGE. That's a FULL Sized HORSE halter he has on by the way.

Posted Image

Pat Lowe

#32 ShadowfaxArabians

ShadowfaxArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

The next time he tried to bite me, I leaned over and bit him on the side of one nostril really, really hard and just hung on. He ran backwards about 30 feet with me still hanging on until I finally let go. He just stood there staring at me with an absolute shocked expression on his face. However, he never tried to bite me again.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE

haha!! that's kinda what I "simulate" by pinching if a baby tries to bite me. I just use my fingers instead of my teeth!! I mean I pinch hard and hang on for a few seconds...soft sensitive tissue but doesn't do any real "damage". Very rarely do I have to pinch a second time.
God Bless,
Kay

Shadowfax Arabians
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God and who have been called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28

#33 Kailicia'sGirl

Kailicia'sGirl

PGN Kailicia( Kaiyoum x PGN Solataire)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Young colts can be so much to deal with. We had 3 born here this year and i admit i would like to sell all :P i am curious, in foals what methods do you guys use with great success on a shy, naughty,colt that bites and at times kicks? Weanlings can also be a struggle.

Penny Lane Arabians https://www.facebook...152855434728757

Stallions At Stud: U.S & CDN Res. National Champion Futurity Colt, Sol Debut (x Solstice) 

The Mares: Lady Versace (Versace), Swanah (Versace), FS Betty Grable (Padrons Psyche), Flames Rhapsody (RIP - 1990-2015), PGN Show NTell+ (Showkayce+), Showanna (Showkayce+), Star Of The Sshow (Showkayce+), Ezalia (Eden C), Fleur De Lune (Sfafe Pseude), S Justabella (Justafire DGL) and the Queen - Baskskokhette+.

#34 Susanrae

Susanrae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I am in the camp of 'knocking him into next Tuesday' once and for all. Be done with it. Pushing his face away, playing with his tongue mean a GAME to him.

What would another horse do to another horse if they were bit? Go, "oh, you are just being busy? You are just being cute?"

Best to make a major correction and be done with it. Go on with life.

I have had horses since I was fourteen, centuries ago, and have owned five different stallions and boarded three others. I am in complete agreement with MJ here. I also ,when a foal threatens to kick as a tiny thing, kick back HARD and fast. She is right , get it over with, be serious about, just as another horse would do. Not a Natural horsemanship follower, but John Lyon's once said, yo have 3 seconds to "kill" them when they commit such grave sins. He is right, and so is MJ, IMHO.

I also have ( this sounds gross , but it worked) bitten back, on the nose and hung on like a bulldog. Only had to do it once, to a yearling colt. We have no biters or kickers here at all.

[

#35 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Young colts can be so much to deal with. We had 3 born here this year and i admit i would like to sell all :P i am curious, in foals what methods do you guys use with great success on a shy, naughty,colt that bites and at times kicks? Weanlings can also be a struggle.

Normally, when they are first born and for a few months after, I would lay them down until they submit. I get them down (either catch them laying down or wait til they throw a tantrum and throw themselves down or fall down) and I hold them down by any means necessary until they give in. Once they will lay down and let me cuddle them and touch them every where and they fall asleep in my arms, I rarely have problems with a youngster. Usually by the time they're 3 or 4 months old, they've figured out that I'm top dog and don't offer to bite or kick again. Some of them actually learn to like being cuddled like that and come lay down at my feet and 'ask' me to rub their bellies. Unfortunately for Harley, he only got laid down a few times before I got hurt and couldn't do it anymore. Now he's way too big for me to do that to unless he's willing to lay down and let me sit on him......uh......probably not gonna happen.

Pat Lowe

#36 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

My 2 McNeil boys who were raised with other colts are not mouthy at all. I do think that helps. My *Carmargue grandson is just mouthy enough to be silly but not a nuisance , and then of course we have Paladin who is the mouth of the south.

Basically...it probably has a lot to do with how they view humans. To Paladin we are big squeaky toys. We are teaching him otherwise of course!
Signature being edited, too large.

#37 Lana

Lana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

I appreciate all the replies to my post. I have done many of the things mentioned on here and with great force. So far my colt still tries. The only thing I have not tried is to bite him back--I think that would be a good way to break a persons teeth--possibly hurt your jaw as they are jerking back--so that method I will not try. Yesterday I opened his stall door to walk inside and get him--he reared up before I even got into the door. I had a leather strap in my hand just in case he pulled something--I hit him across the neck when he landed on the floor--screamed at him very loudly and lunged at him. It sent him back against the wall where he stood like a statue--his eyes as big as saucers and his nose flaring. I thought--maybe this would help--but today when I went in his stall--he did not rear--but still tries to ######. I will just keep at it in hopes one day the penny will drop. Thanks again everyone.

#38 Integrity Arabians

Integrity Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

I hate to say it but if he's been getting away with this for this long. It's going to take some time and consistency in getting after him if he even looks like he's got a partial mind to biting. And that means right down to not even letting him lay his lips on you. You have to break it completely unfortunately, and it will take time for it to sink into the brain crevices and you may still have to be alert to it when it's sunk in.

If you catch it the first and second time with harsh reality and consequences, there won't be another time, usually. However if they have been getting away with it. It'll take time and consistency and not giving up or in.

There is no miracle cure.

Michelle
Om El Faria 1996 Bay Arabian Mare
(Sanadik El Shaklan X Bint Bint Faaris) - LEASED

Goodale Entertainment - Video Editing, Motion Graphics, & Photography - Web Design

#39 zirrocco

zirrocco

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Many have suggested that you train your colt not to put his mouth on you. That is what I've done with my three year old mouthy boy: train an incompatible behavior. He can't bite if he can't put his mouth on me.

But why should he do this? He has fun biting you! So did mine. Now he has a lot more fun NOT biting me because he has learned that if he holds his "pose" with his head turned away from me, he'll get a
treat. He loves-loves-loves cookies.

I know, I know: food makes horses more mouthy. No. Read the research. Don't tell me I-have-30-years-experience-and-my-Dad-and-Granddad blah blah blah. Hey, so do I and so did they. Read the research, unless you just enjoy wacking on your horse. And in that case, glad I don't know you.
Zirrocco Arabians, Home of:
Silkk Rose (Hadaya El Tareef x Taja Moniet), Stirring Rendition (Hadaya El Tareef x Taja Moniet)
Silkk Watercolors Z (Imperial Al Kamar x Silkk Rose) Silkk Alchemy Z (Ecaho* x Silkk Rose), Silkk Imprimatur Z (Ecaho* x Silkk Rose)