Photo
- - - - -

Didn't think of myself as a Photographer...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#11 JRS Gentle Hills

JRS Gentle Hills

JRs Gentle Hills Farm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

I am not talking about rules i am talking about the way the horse looks in the picture...if i am going to spend 100 bucks (plus ) on a photographer i want my horses to look their best in pictures, not high in the butt and low in the front... the first picture of that same grey is great the horse looks awesome .. that same horse looks butt high in the third to last photo the chestnut looks weak in the butt and also butt high .. i was just trying to offer a helpful hint .. take it or leave it i am getting tired of people crapping on my head

I also wanted to point out that unless the HANDLER is posing the horses correctly, the horse is not going to look right. A photographer can take numerous pics but unless the horse is POSED correctly, the picture is going to show what was presented. (PS, the handler was a stable hand who has NO experience at posing horses. I thought she did pretty well with my instructions.)

JRs Gentle Hills Custom Metals **Hand Made Rasp Spurs & Horse Shoe Spurs
www.JRsCustomMetals.com
JRs Gentle Hills Farm **Standing the YOUNGEST *NABORR grandson ALIVE!!!
www.JRsGentleHills.com
Prestige Elite Marketing * Videography - Marketing Videos * Photography * eblasts * etc.
www.PrestigeEliteMarketing.com

#12 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

These horses are bred from Main Ring Halter stock and are being sold as Main Ring Halter stock... (except the chestnut - he's a riding gelding).... hence, the poses..

But thank you on the compliment of the head shots! PS, these aren't my horses.. Just a client of mine..

i m sorry if i offended like i said the first picture of the grey is awesome that is a conformation shot i'd use i would not use the third to last or the last that is all i wanted to say just my .5 cents worth take it or leave it however take a look at susanne sturgill's, nancy pierce or carol manginn or braden 's photos now i will shut up befor ei get banned for my opinions or get reported for my opinions

No, the first one is Arabian standard. The last one does look rather awkward and it's because the back hoof nearest us is tucked way way under. Had he taken one step back with that foot he would be in the perfect stance. I am guessing that he moved JUST as the photo was taken.

The third one up is the first grey and he is in mid step and looking back which makes him look a bit higher then we know he is, as can be seen by the first photo.

Some gentle tweeking would really make the photos look WOW. They are great photos however. Not that you were looking for Critique

thank you Kandie thank you thank you thank you Muah
Barb Walker

#13 JRS Gentle Hills

JRS Gentle Hills

JRs Gentle Hills Farm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

i m sorry if i offended like i said the first picture of the grey is awesome that is a conformation shot i'd use i would not use the third to last or the last that is all i wanted to say just my .5 cents worth take it or leave it however take a look at susanne sturgill's, nancy pierce or carol manginn or braden 's photos now i will shut up befor ei get banned for my opinions or get reported for my opinions

I'm not offended - just explaining. These were not meant to be conformation shots. In fact, the client did NOT use any of these shots for advertising but rather shots that looked WORSE in my opinion... but hey, that's what they wanted. And I am, in no way, comparable to Nancy Pierce or Carol Manginn, etc, etc... I just an amateur photographer and they are WAY better than me.

I'm not going to report you for your opinions and I'm sure no one else will either.

www.JRsCustomMetals.com
www.JRsGentleHills.com
Prestige Elite Marketing * Videography - Marketing Videos * Photography * eblasts * etc.

#14 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

Jennifer : it's up to the photog to make sure horse is posed properly it's same as in modeling photo shoot the photog constantly tells the subject what he wants so that he gets the best poses if the person doesnt know how to pose a horse then it's up to you to let them know what to do so that their horses are in best pose .. also I think you are an awesome photog i love your pictures it's just those two pics horses where not posed properly is all.. all i wanted is to make a friendly suggestion and people feel that i am attacking them :bigemo_harabe_net-102: :5298_orcspash:

I'm not offended - just explaining. These were not meant to be conformation shots. In fact, the client did NOT use any of these shots for advertising but rather shots that looked WORSE in my opinion... but hey, that's what they wanted. And I am, in no way, comparable to Nancy Pierce or Carol Manginn, etc, etc... I just an amateur photographer and they are WAY better than me.

I'm not going to report you for your opinions and I'm sure no one else will either.

actually i think with practice you can rival Nancy Carol and Braden coz they are good pictures :OP :bigemo_harabe_net-108: after all am sure they were not as good as they are now and that is wonderful thing about digital camera's you dont waste film like you would in olden days what i meant about looking at their pictures is as a learning tool.
Barb Walker

#15 JRS Gentle Hills

JRS Gentle Hills

JRs Gentle Hills Farm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

Jennifer : it's up to the photog to make sure horse is posed properly it's same as in modeling photo shoot the photog constantly tells the subject what he wants so that he gets the best poses if the person doesnt know how to pose a horse then it's up to you to let them know what to do so that their horses are in best pose .. also I think you are an awesome photog i love your pictures it's just those two pics horses where not posed properly is all.. all i wanted is to make a friendly suggestion and people feel that i am attacking them :bigemo_harabe_net-102: :5298_orcspash:

If you read my posting correctly, I stated that I was telling her how to pose them and thought she did pretty good with my instruction as she never posed up a horse before. (Owners were out of town and left it to me and the stable hands). For a total of $250, they got over 300 pictures, all placed on CD's.

I do thank you for your suggestions. I personally like conformation shoots BUT I knew these clients wanted "exotic" shots. They had paid a lot of money the year before to have a big named photographer take pictures and I knew exactly what they were looking for. I tried the best I could (especially since this was my FIRST time).

But thank you for your suggestions. I always look for suggestions.

I've got A LONG way to go before I can compare myself to Nancy, Carol or Braden!!

www.JRsCustomMetals.com
www.JRsGentleHills.com

#16 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

If you read my posting correctly, I stated that I was telling her how to pose them and thought she did pretty good with my instruction as she never posed up a horse before. (Owners were out of town and left it to me and the stable hands). For a total of $250, they got over 300 pictures, all placed on CD's.

I do thank you for your suggestions. I personally like conformation shoots BUT I knew these clients wanted "exotic" shots. They had paid a lot of money the year before to have a big named photographer take pictures and I knew exactly what they were looking for. I tried the best I could (especially since this was my FIRST time).

But thank you for your suggestions. I always look for suggestions.

gotcha like i said i love your pictures and with practice i know you can rival Nancy Carol and Braden .
Barb Walker

#17 JRS Gentle Hills

JRS Gentle Hills

JRs Gentle Hills Farm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

gotcha like i said i love your pictures and with practice i know you can rival Nancy Carol and Braden .

Well, I do THANK YOU for your faith in me!!! :bigemo_harabe_net-108:

www.JRsCustomMetals.com
www.JRsGentleHills.com

#18 Remali

Remali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Beautiful photos, I think you did a lovely job. And I actually like the way the horses are posed, it's nice to see Arabians in different shots. Good work!!

#19 JennyM

JennyM

Equine Concierge (and Mortgage Loan Officer!)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Golly.

Well done, Jennifer, well done. On ALL aspects ;)

Lady in Waiting to Vanna
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I do video and a client of mine asked me to take photos of their horses. I must say, I impressed myself!

SOOO... Now servicing 200 miles from the Springfield, MO area.

$50 an hour - 4 hour minimum - however many horses you want! You get to keep ALL photos - they get burned onto a CD. This client got over 300 GREAT pictures (I had taken over 400). Mileage may apply.

Pricing will go up the end of this year!

Also, can take video during our session for additional pricing.

Barb Walker