Photo

gaited arabians

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#11 sierratrailrider

sierratrailrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Since gaited horses are selling well in our market, I always thought that gaited would be a wonderful niche market for Arabians. Pretty plus smooth = sales to boomers.

Some Russian lines have a tendency to gait - I have ridden one Muscat son who ambled and another who did a fancy singlefoot. I owned an Allah-ward (GHARIS x VANS NATTA, whose tail female went to Rahas) mare who could gait as fast as any other horse could trot. Smoooooth as silk and what a delight to ride. I would love to find another mare like that today!

It is true that Arabian horses that tended to gait were dissuaded by training - mostly by trainers who wanted pure gaits for show. But, since fewer people are showing today and more are trail riding...gaited Arabs is an opportunity that someone should capitalize upon.
"You can ride as fast as your horse can run." - Ray Hunt

#12 AA WISH

AA WISH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Since gaited horses are selling well in our market, I always thought that gaited would be a wonderful niche market for Arabians. Pretty plus smooth = sales to boomers.

Some Russian lines have a tendency to gait - I have ridden one Muscat son who ambled and another who did a fancy singlefoot. I owned an Allah-ward (GHARIS x VANS NATTA, whose tail female went to Rahas) mare who could gait as fast as any other horse could trot. Smoooooth as silk and what a delight to ride. I would love to find another mare like that today!

It is true that Arabian horses that tended to gait were dissuaded by training - mostly by trainers who wanted pure gaits for show. But, since fewer people are showing today and more are trail riding...gaited Arabs is an opportunity that someone should capitalize upon.

I accidently stumbled upon the gaited arabian idea several years ago. I'd sent a video to a woman to evaluate an 1/2 arabian colt I had that I was sure was gaited. In the video were two of his full blooded arabian siblings. I was so surprised when the lady responded back that all the horses in the video were gaited and wondered if the other two were half arabians as well since they were gaited. That was the beginning of my journey......

That's when I found the history of the gaited arabian to be very interesting.

#13 AA WISH

AA WISH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Here is rabiyas - one of the most celebrated of all gaiting arabians.

rabiyas as a jpeg.jpg
[And a couple of pictures of his dam:
Big trotting Rabiyat! She's trotting level without a 'shoeing package'!

Rabiyat577RehalRokhsa.jpg
Rabiyat1926Maynesboro.gif

#14 SBey

SBey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

My park horse, Silverado Bey+, racks.

He does it on his own, it was never taught to him.
Yes, his trainers always discouraged it, as they didn't
want him to do it in the show ring. But I let him when
I ride him, it's a lot of fun, and very comfortable.
I assume it comes from the Raffles in his pedigree.
KALIWIN RANCH
Proud owners of
park stallion
SILVERADO BEY+

#15 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

I am not 100% sure but I believe my little black mare Heaven 'may' be gaited. We have been studying her gaits and she has one that to me, when she dropped into it (and I say dropped as she drops and goes) my mouth hung open.

Still not sure if she just has REALLY good action (knee) or she is gaited. It most resembles the photo above of Ronek.
Signature being edited, too large.

#16 AA WISH

AA WISH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

My park horse, Silverado Bey+, racks.

He does it on his own, it was never taught to him.
Yes, his trainers always discouraged it, as they didn't
want him to do it in the show ring. But I let him when
I ride him, it's a lot of fun, and very comfortable.
I assume it comes from the Raffles in his pedigree.

Wow! He does have a lot of Raffles in his pedigree. I would love to see pictures of your Silver doing his 'thing' at liberty.

I am not 100% sure but I believe my little black mare Heaven 'may' be gaited. We have been studying her gaits and she has one that to me, when she dropped into it (and I say dropped as she drops and goes) my mouth hung open.

Still not sure if she just has REALLY good action (knee) or she is gaited. It most resembles the photo above of Ronek.

Is your mare registered? If so, what are her bloodlines?

#17 AA WISH

AA WISH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

No discussion about gaited horses is complete without Berk.

berk in a biger picture.jpg

berk better picture.jpg

berk 4.jpg

berk in a bigger picture 2.jpg

#18 AA WISH

AA WISH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:26 AM

I'm going to talk a little about the little I know. I've studied the gaits here on my farm. With my limited knowledge, I concluded that these gaits are not unknown to the arabian breed but certainly not common either. They were not quite an Indian Shuffle, nor a rack (however, some of mine will rack a few steps inbetween the trot and canter). I ended up calling the gait here on my farm as the Arabian Easy Gait. It's probably closer to an amble or single foot. Since I've only studied my horses, I'm going to be talking about them. Anyone else is free to join in and discuss what they know as well.

For comparison: Here is a Astraled This is a great picture showing the suspension stage of a trotting horse. All four feet are off the ground. Most of you reading this realize that this is where the bounce comes from in trotters.
Astraled-vi.jpg

The Arabian Easy Gait horses have no suspension. The gait appears to be diagonal - like the trot - however, there is a reluctance for the front foot to leave the ground until the other has been placed down. That means that there is always a foot on the ground, which reduces the bounce created in the trot.

Here are two pictures of Aliyy. At first glance he appears to be trotting. The hind foot is moving with the opposite front. But if you look closely, you'll see that the hind is going to land before the front. It actually slipps in, under the departing front foot on the lateral side. In this sequence of his gait, you actually see that his weight is carried on both of the hind feet as the other hind has not left the ground either. Compare to the picture of Astraled. It's easy to see suspension and the lack of suspension on Aliyy.
aliyy shuffle 1.jpg aliyy shuffle 2.jpg

Here is the Aladdinn Ala Wish doing his easy gait. It is easy to tell that the hind legs are supporting the weight and the front has lifted up and is free and light. Notice the reluctance of the parell front to leave the ground until the hind is firmly in place.

aladdinn easy gait undersaddle 2.jpg

#19 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

AA Wish her reg name is Benniessmokeestar (weird name I know)

She is double *Tuhotmos, Moniet El Sharaf and Gazon. (Double all those 3) She is 13.2h.
Signature being edited, too large.

#20 AA WISH

AA WISH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

AA Wish her reg name is Benniessmokeestar (weird name I know)

She is double *Tuhotmos, Moniet El Sharaf and Gazon. (Double all those 3) She is 13.2h.

Your horses pedigree - like mine - is a curious blend of Egyptian and Crabbett. The female tail line carries Berk who was known to be gaited and many of his offspring. I sometimes wonder if it comes through the Nazeer line as well but I have no proof. I love Rashad Ibn Nazeer and would love to find something that had several crosses to him! Do you have pictures of your mare?