• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Ambar

Ambar

System Janitor

• Moderators
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

In the ABN forums, we want to foster a community that is willing to share opinions and information, to engage in spirited debate, and to offer useful and educational content. With that in mind, we believe a healthy community will take it upon itself to rebuke or ignore those whose conduct is detrimental to the community and support those whose contributions are particularly useful. While the latter is easier, we have less often seen a willingness by the community to do the former.

I believe that such reluctance stems, in part, from the frequency of personal attacks that have been made, most recently on the Canterbury discussion thread. At this point, the moderators feel we must specifically ask that posters refrain from personal attacks. Disagree with each other's views or opinions, but do not attack the other person. We will be using the warning system to *ahem* assist those who seem to have difficulty making the distinction and acting accordingly. Failure to adapt to this policy may compel us to exclude a poster from the community. (Embedding attacks in account names is a clear statement that the would-be poster doesn't intend to abide by this community standard, so we'll just skip the middle part. ;) )

In addition, I want to make a public apology to "Eyes Wide Open", whose account was misidentified as belonging to another poster who was engaging in personal attacks and was consequently deleted. "Eyes Wide Open" has my personal invitation to return to ABN at their discretion and abide by the same policies as everyone else.

Finally, keep in mind the late Senator Daniel Moynihan's dictum: "You are entitled to your own opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts."

"Each of us, no doubt, at one time or another has owned the best horse that ever looked through a bridle. I once owned a better one. Without taking time to prove it, I will simply admit it." -- Albert W Harris, "The Arabian Horse," The Horse, July-August 1944.

Ambar Arabians: http://ambararabians.com/

Member of International Arabians in Sport Association and California-Nevada Arabian Sport Horse Association

#2 Briska

Briska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Interests:Making it to Starbucks ahead of the crowds

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thank you for this posting, Ambar. I, for one, can get heated when sharing my opinions. I know it, and I try very hard to represent them as my opinions. Doubtless my success rate is less than 100%.

I work hard to look for facts that support my opinion, not just "because I say so". My hope is to encourage, prod or irritate people just enough to go look for themselves. As I've shared before, don't take my word for it...but don't drink the kool-aid, either.

Think for yourself. Form your own opinions. Do it with correct information gathered from credible sources, not just one person's word over another. As someone posted, there are two sides to a pancake.
Be careful of the words you say, and keep them soft and sweet. For you never know, from time to time, which ones you'll have to eat.

Foals arriving in 2012 are also for sale
**Pentika V x Gotcha in April **RO Siena Sunshine x Gotcha in April **Falicity x Gotcha in May **RNT Pyrrunata x FSF Vintage Flyer in May

#3 LaurieB

LaurieB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:The wonderful Arabian Horse, people who love them, all of the different disciplines,Art, scultpting and making special jewelry for horse lovers.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Thank you for posting this. I appreciate this site so much and I agree 100%
about personal, nasty attacks. :bigemo_harabe_net-117:
Meaness on the forum is upsetting to me so I imagine a newcomer might just not want to play at all and that would be very unfortunate for this community.
Thanks for providing a great service!
Laurie

#4 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Yay!

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#5 spiritthyme

spiritthyme

ST

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts
  • Interests:Topez & Spirit, of course !

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:50 AM

If I get too P.O'd, I just stay away for awhile to cool off ;)
  • newbie likes this

Spirit Thyme ( Pryme Thyme X Kendrid Spirit YW ) 2003 Chestnut Gelding

Topez ( *Pesniar X DW Baskala by *Bask ) 1982 Bay Stallion

Spirit's Finale' HT ( Spirit Thyme X Halima El Jamaal ) 2013 Grey filly

#6 JennyM

JennyM

Equine Concierge (and Mortgage Loan Officer!)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Interests:Grey geldings, yellow and red mares, Hockey,

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

I just want to pop in and tell Ambar thank you for her quick response at solving my tech issues yesterday!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Lady in Waiting to Vanna
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Selket Arabians

Selket Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Mr. Hevener is a licensed racehorse trainer and breeder. A successful novelist, his books include "Fate of the Stallion" "The Blue Ribbon" "High Stakes" and "Bedtime Stories For Animal Lovers" all set in the competitive sporting arena of horses and dogs. His Significant Other is Arabian horse authority Adelia Audi, who directed and managed the world-class horses of Fazenda Santa Gertrudes in Brazil, such as El Shaklan, Aza Destiny and many more. Adelia Audi was the first woman trainer and judge in South America. For more information, please visit www.RonHevener.com or Wikipedia.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

Chat forums can be great, but snide remarks and bitter insults or accusations are NOT just "cozy" private talk "between friends" ... copies can be printed out and used as evidence to support slander.

That's what happened in a multi-million dollar legal case in West Virginia. Pages and pages of nasty chat were admitted as evidence in a lawsuit involving a trainer.

The court allowed it.

Another thing for us to remember is this:

We are members of an industry which is under criticism by organizations that don't understand agriculture or animal husbandry. We must get a lot smarter about what we say here.

It's probably hard for some of us to believe, but everything you say -- every idea, every plan, every comment or attitude - is laid out here for critics of our industry to see. Privacy and discretion are the only way to get ahead of the curve.

Think about that.

- RH.
Fate 150.jpg

The Selket Arabians are a bloodline of taller-than-average Arabian sport horses and one of the oldest breeding herds in the United States. For many years, the horses have been line-bred on the 16.2 H international champion Furno Khamal. They are supported and managed by Ron Hevener & Co. (specializing in novels, collectible merchandise and apparel for animal lovers). The horses are raised on farms in the U.S. and Brazil. 

#8 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Interests:Besides my lifelong passion for Arabian horses which has led to my research and writing being published worldwide, I love houserabbits, cats, dogs and Chinchillas!

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

I totally agree with everything Ron has said.

Remember, this site is searchable by Google. So whatever you say remains findable by others. I always keep that in mind when posting.

As someone who has been the victim of personal attacks here (most notably when I have posted links to controversial issues that need publicity and some members weren't happy with that), I applaud Ambar's policy.
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#9 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

Chat forums can be great, but snide remarks and bitter insults or accusations are NOT just "cozy" private talk "between friends" ... copies can be printed out and used as evidence to support slander.

That's what happened in a multi-million dollar legal case in West Virginia. Pages and pages of nasty chat were admitted as evidence in a lawsuit involving a trainer.

The court allowed it.

Another thing for us to remember is this:

We are members of an industry which is under criticism by organizations that don't understand agriculture or animal husbandry. We must get a lot smarter about what we say here.

It's probably hard for some of us to believe, but everything you say -- every idea, every plan, every comment or attitude - is laid out here for critics of our industry to see. Privacy and discretion are the only way to get ahead of the curve.

Think about that.

- RH.

Very well put, Ron. I try to keep this in mind when posting also...

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#10 Myself

Myself

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, Half-Arabians & Paints

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

There is a nice little quote that I have heard repeatedly over the years...

'If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.'

I don't mind giving constructive criticism when it is asked for but I will not participate in giving or paying heed on the receiving end of (nasty) unsolicited advice. There is definitely nothing more annoying than having somebody pounce on your back for something irrelevant and/or unneeded. Don't victimize others. Ever heard of cyber bullying?

No thanks. Just not my cup of tea. If you cannot behave as a civil adult then there is an issue on the forefront to begin with.

Wonderful post. Kudos to you.

Midnite Farm - Quality Purebred and Partbred Arabians

Home to Midnite Bahbey Homozygous Black Purebred Arabian Stallion - CA, SCID & LFS clear

http://midnitefarm.weebly.com/