Photo

Too Small? gonna bite me in the butt later on?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#21 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

Oh for Gods sake...the breed standard is 14.1 to 15.1 with occasional under OR over, period!! There is room for all sizes and an arab is considered a horse whether its 13.2 or 14.1, in the open world they can call it a pony :)

The smaller mares AND stallions typically do outproduce themselves on size. Dreamazon was a good example. Pete McNeil has a daughter of his who is not small and who has produced from a 14.1 h stallion a 15.0 h 3 year old colt.

:)

Go with your eye and your heart and the only time size matters is if you have a certain goal where SIZE MATTERS such as "I want to sell this horse to an amateur from X Y Z trainers barn and he only goes for taller arabs' . Or you want to win in a circuit where big horses typically dominate, then yes, the small superstar may be more rare. Otherwise, this talk of smaller horses having a disadvantage is just smoke and mirrors to me.
Signature being edited, too large.

#22 HGEsquire

HGEsquire

HG Esquire+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,312 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

Well we have a 14 hh Sport Pony mare that most likely will be sold next week. Could be that if I had actually really marketed her hard that she could have been sold sooner....however I really have not been in any rush to let this one go! E-Vakha is going to be a superstar for sure. She has the best open shoulder and hind end on her that you could ask for. And don't dare tell her she is little because she'll grow 4" right before your very eyes!! I seriously doubt her height (or lack of) is going to hold her back regardless of which ring she goes...Open...Arabian...Pony...etc. And no, I seriously am not fooling my self either! She is mighty dang fancy and knows it! Just would not want a 6' rider on her with long legs ;)

BTW Heather ~ I love your post above!!!

Denise Gainey

HG Esquire+, Rated 'E' for EVERYONE
GCA & Sport Horses on Facebook

Where Quality & Friendship Matter!

#23 Briska

Briska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:59 AM

Just curious as to why you think the pony market is so small?

You're on the East Coast and we're on the West Coast. The market is very different for ponies. Unless you're marketing in the LA area, where there are East Coast transplants, you're not going to sell ponies in the bigger money market. Always exceptions, but tis just how we are out here in sunny California.
Be careful of the words you say, and keep them soft and sweet. For you never know, from time to time, which ones you'll have to eat.

Foals arriving in 2012 are also for sale
**Pentika V x Gotcha in April **RO Siena Sunshine x Gotcha in April **Falicity x Gotcha in May **RNT Pyrrunata x FSF Vintage Flyer in May

#24 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Denise! I have just seen way way too many short stuff super starts to think otherwise :) I will also admit I have seen tall horses who are super stars, so it is just the breed standard at work me thinks!! (All sizes work!!)

Briska, the pony market in So Cal is fine but the thing is you have to do something with the horse first I think......if its winning steady in pony venues it will sell well, if its standing in your backyard and you want to call it a pony because of its height, maybe not so much!!

#25 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

but the thing is you have to do something with the horse first I think......if its winning steady in pony venues it will sell well, if its standing in your backyard and you want to call it a pony because of its height, maybe not so much!!

Anyone thinking of getting into ponies, needs to memorize the bold print above!

Ponies sell well. Half-Arabian ponies sell well (purebreds not so much). IF THEY ARE GOOD AT THEIR JOB. With ponies, that usually means hunters - and not Arab-style hunter pleasure. Ponies do not sell well as yougstock unless you are an established breeder with a history of success in the show ring.

I think it was just a few years ago that an unregistered Half-Arabian pony (registered as Half-Welsh) brought over 30,000 at the pony Finals auction because he was very good at his job. Ponies are generally thought of as for use by children, and few people want an untrained pony for their child. So by all means, breed ponies - I do - but plan on keeping them until they are competing while you build yourself a reputation as a top breeder of show ponies

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#26 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

I think it would be interesting to go to the original poster and ask if breeding for the "pony" market is what the mare is intended for .

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#27 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

That is not what we are addressing 100%, part of what I said addressed a person who spoke of the pony market, my response was you can not just call something a pony and get big bucks for it. But my first response was the purebred arabian breed standard is 14.1 to 15.1 with an occasional individual over or under. If you are breeding to a specialty use you may want to consider size, however Pinga is not very big and she seems to do quite well, saw her in person at Del Mar and was truly impressed she won her class despite her smaller stature (compared to the other less correct and less typey huge mares in the class)

Half arabs are probably a bit different, many are using QH, Saddlebred etc to cross with, of course these are people looking for a bigger horse . If you want a smaller horse and want a half arab I'd assume you'd cross a welsh or a quarter pony :)

Its all about your goals. Believe me, every day short horses sell and many of those being exported overseas are not huge.

The breed was not intended to be huge. I own some huge ones, I own some small ones, quality, conformation and type are much more important to me than size. If you are 6 feet tall though and want to ride your horse, probably want a taller one

#28 arab01

arab01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

You're on the East Coast and we're on the West Coast. The market is very different for ponies. Unless you're marketing in the LA area, where there are East Coast transplants, you're not going to sell ponies in the bigger money market. Always exceptions, but tis just how we are out here in sunny California.

I promise, kids(small adults and ponies too) are everywhere, not just the east and even in sunny California! :) Some of the biggest H/J and dressage shows in the country are in CA! The problem is most arabian people are not in this loop and miss out on a huge market for their horses.(or ponies!)

Agreed trained successful ponies bring the most money but the same can be said for horses. I have a big young warmblood for sale, amazing mover, bred to the hilt (by Contucci who has been the leading sire of USDF winners for several recent years)and everyone said "Oh I love him, send me a video when he is solid at Training Level" Not saying people don't buy prospects but I think anything is easier to sell if people can come ride it and will pay more for something under saddle.
Kristie Heath Putt
Shenandoah Stables
Evans,Ga

www.shenandoahstables.com

#29 Copper Leaf

Copper Leaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:05 AM

That is not what we are addressing 100%, part of what I said addressed a person who spoke of the pony market, my response was you can not just call something a pony and get big bucks for it. But my first response was the purebred arabian breed standard is 14.1 to 15.1 with an occasional individual over or under. If you are breeding to a specialty use you may want to consider size, however Pinga is not very big and she seems to do quite well, saw her in person at Del Mar and was truly impressed she won her class despite her smaller stature (compared to the other less correct and less typey huge mares in the class)

Half arabs are probably a bit different, many are using QH, Saddlebred etc to cross with, of course these are people looking for a bigger horse . If you want a smaller horse and want a half arab I'd assume you'd cross a welsh or a quarter pony :)

Its all about your goals. Believe me, every day short horses sell and many of those being exported overseas are not huge.

The breed was not intended to be huge. I own some huge ones, I own some small ones, quality, conformation and type are much more important to me than size. If you are 6 feet tall though and want to ride your horse, probably want a taller one

:bigemo_harabe_net-117:

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

#30 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:18 AM

technically anything under 15 hh is considered to be a pony in sport horse world except for miniature horses
Barb Walker