Photo

Too Small? gonna bite me in the butt later on?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#11 HGEsquire

HGEsquire

HG Esquire+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

Laura ~ you seen Storm at this past show in NC right??? And you commented that you thought he was the tallest one out there in the class right??? Well Storms dam is all of a whopping 14hh's and his full sister Angell at almost 3 YRO is already taller than Storm. My mare E-Vangeline's dam was also all of 14hh-14.1hh and E-Vangeline is right at 15hh's. Yes I realize that Esquire+ has a lot to do with the mature size of the kids however my point is you do not always get little itty bitty when you mare is short. Heck the Promotion daugther we sold last year is 14hh on her tippy toes and has foals out there that are 15hh+'s. Will be interesting to see just how tall (or not) her Esquire+ kid matures out to be. So my thought on this is if you really really like the horse, and the only thing keeping you from commiting is her height or lack of ;) ~ bring her home. If she doesn't work out for you like you think, she just might be someone else's perfect match! No harm in trying! Right :D

Denise Gainey

HG Esquire+, Rated 'E' for EVERYONE
GCA & Sport Horses on Facebook

Where Quality & Friendship Matter!

#12 Copper Leaf

Copper Leaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:59 AM

I heard buzz that there were going to be an Arabian Sport Pony classes added to the Arabian Sport Horse circuit... I hope so... once I finally finish up with school and get back into showing I plan to rock that venue! I personally adore a small Arabian with lots of type :)

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

#13 tamrie123

tamrie123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:10 AM

Who was the pony that won HA Park at Nat'ls years ago? Tiny thing that could trot over the moon. Brought the crowd to its feet every time.

A friend of mine leased a 13.3H mare and her foal grew to 15.2 and he was a Regional Champion 1st and 2nd level dressage (both he and his dam were Aurab breeding).

that pony was Bay Korabi 13.3 ridden by Bob Phillips...Bob also rode my dads horse KK Bravura a Bask son 14.1 to reserve park champion in Canada and top 10 US. Bigger is not always better in the show ring.
JB Yelsky
Happily the Home of Bindi, Miss Batique, Sauvache & Agnes! Oh and 10 others who have never had a bad day in their lives!

#14 CarolAtJarabFarm

CarolAtJarabFarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

Wasn't there a small mare that did quite well at Nationals this past year? I don't remember the name, someone out there might know it. I understand she was so typey they couldn't resist her.

I remember this one, too. It wasn't just the type; she was about as conformationally correct as you could get. If the judges had overlooked that, they weren't following the scorecard, and placing her like they did, it somewhat restored my faith in judges (at least those judges...) (Last I looked, there wasn't a category for size, just the proviso of 14-2 to 15-2 with an occasional individual smaller or larger.)If memory serves.

#15 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

Certainly there has been and always will be small horses that have had an impact in the breeding shed, show ring and our hearts, but today's world is different from the past. They are the minute exception, not the rule. If "small" has no bearing on your wallet and is of no consequence for you personally, by all means go with your heart and get her. But you must go forward with eyes WIDE OPEN and realize you are limiting your market to a very narrow path. Horse care is so expensive nowadays and everyone's situation is different ...you need no regrets.

For every one small horse that has been the superstar, there are 1000 others that are not . Not very good odds .

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#16 Zoomer

Zoomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

There was a purebred bay stallion that won the open Park class years ago in Alb. that was 14'1". His name was Equus or Aquus or something like that. He was so far above the rest that his size did not matter to anyone.

#17 mhtokay

mhtokay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

For every one small horse that has been the superstar, there are 1000 others that are not . Not very good odds .

If you're looking for a broodmare, she's probably a better prospect for producing half arabians. Especially if she has tall horses in her pedigree. That hybrid vigor often has the half arabians taller than either parent.... not always, but often.

The high priced ponies are already trained and packing kids around a course.

#18 allanglos

allanglos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

that pony was Bay Korabi 13.3 ridden by Bob Phillips...Bob also rode my dads horse KK Bravura a Bask son 14.1 to reserve park champion in Canada and top 10 US. Bigger is not always better in the show ring.

YES, that's the one:) They were at the 1978 Canadian Nat'ls and WOW, I'll never forget it!

Laura ~ you seen Storm at this past show in NC right??? And you commented that you thought he was the tallest one out there in the class right??? Well Storms dam is all of a whopping 14hh's and his full sister Angell at almost 3 YRO is already taller than Storm.
Denise Gainey

Yes, he was quite leggy and appeared to have a lot of size. I guess his short dam didn't hurt him in the least:)
Email me

The Inverted Y
National Champion Anglo Arabians since 1977

www.allanglos.net

#19 Fereyna1982

Fereyna1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:48 AM

For every one small horse that has been the superstar, there are 1000 others that are not . Not very good odds.

Well, for every horse that has been a superstar, there are 1000 others that are not.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. If she's stellar, she may be a steal.

#20 arab01

arab01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well, for every horse that has been a superstar, there are 1000 others that are not.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. If she's stellar, she may be a steal.

This is the point I was going to make, the same can be said for the top horses as well. Even if you make the best breeding choices you can the chances of breeding the next "superstar", National Champion, Pony Finals winner or Olympic Gold Medal winner is never a sure thing but you can be sure that people can and do pay TOP dollar for quality ponies.

I would look at your market carefully. As others have mentioned AHA alreeady has the new pony hunter classes and of course if you go outside the Arabian world you have a whole other market! Pony hunters and jumpers along with pony classes at USDF Shows! Lots of potential to market nice ponies there and people DO pay good money for them.

Now if you are breeding for main ring HP for example where everything at the National Level seems to be huge it does stand to reason that it would have to be a truly exceptional pony to be competitive but as others have mentioned it can be done.

I would try to stay out of that wierd size like 14.3...ones that are too big to measure as a pony so the pony people are not interested and those who want a big horse think it is too small.

I have always said I would rather be riding a fancy pony than a bigger horse that is tall and less quality.

FWIW the pony in my avatar is 14.0 and this photo was taken when she was showing in the Open First Level class at a USDF show. She scored a 68 percent and came in 2nd out of 11!

Certainly there has been and always will be small horses that have had an impact in the breeding shed, show ring and our hearts, but today's world is different from the past. They are the minute exception, not the rule. If "small" has no bearing on your wallet and is of no consequence for you personally, by all means go with your heart and get her. But you must go forward with eyes WIDE OPEN and realize you are limiting your market to a very narrow path. Horse care is so expensive nowadays and everyone's situation is different ...you need no regrets.

Just curious as to why you think the pony market is so small?
Kristie Heath Putt
Shenandoah Stables
Evans,Ga

www.shenandoahstables.com