Photo

Too Small? gonna bite me in the butt later on?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 Penny Lane Arabians

Penny Lane Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

I have fallen in love with a grey pure polish Arabian mare!! She is gorgous! But to start off, she is tiny and I try to tell myself she is too small for me, If i buy her as a broodmare, will it come back to bite me in the but sometime down the road? I mean her smallness is gonna come out somewhere right?

#2 Caliber Arabians

Caliber Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

I bought an Ultimate Star daughter with the same issue. My stallion traditionally adds 3 inches+ on the mare. This would give me a mature foal of approx 14.3 hands. So average for an arabian. I will pray for a filly and then keep breeding up(height wise). The name of the game in MR halter and overseas sales is TYPE!!!

#3 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

I have fallen in love with a grey pure polish Arabian mare!! She is gorgous! But to start off, she is tiny and I try to tell myself she is too small for me, If i buy her as a broodmare, will it come back to bite me in the but sometime down the road? I mean her smallness is gonna come out somewhere right?

YES IT WILL. The concern would be how often . You pay a hefty stud fee and the foal is small - so where's the market for that ?

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#4 Penny Lane Arabians

Penny Lane Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

YES IT WILL. The concern would be how often . You pay a hefty stud fee and the foal is small - so where's the market for that ?

Thats what i'm afraid of .....

#5 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Actually there is a whole other market out there for the 'little ones' under 14.2....sportpony, hunter pony, FEI dressage pony etc.....and ironically the prices for the good, well-trained ponies (who ride like horses) are considerably higher than for the majority of purebreds these days...it is not uncommon for a proven second/third level FEI pony to change hands for $20,000.

#6 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Actually there is a whole other market out there for the 'little ones' under 14.2....sportpony, hunter pony, FEI dressage pony etc.....and ironically the prices for the good, well-trained ponies (who ride like horses) are considerably higher than for the majority of purebreds these days...it is not uncommon for a proven second/third level FEI pony to change hands for $20,000.

Could be wrong... but I doubt they're wanting a halter pony.

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#7 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Could be wrong... but I doubt they're wanting a halter pony.

Halter ponies are trained to ride in my world...but they can be shown on the line as sportponies as well. Here is one showing Open Sportpony last summer..

Attached Thumbnails

• cappubraids.jpg

#8 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

Some of the best arabians in our breed have been small, including Barbary, Khemosabi (and I know this as I stood in the stall with my hand over his wither!!), *Raffles , Dreamazon, etc etc. There have been the mares too.

My 13.2 hand arabian mare has produced a foal last year who at a year old is already taller than she is. Look at the pedigree, what is there? Is it a bunch of teensy weensy horses? Or is it a good mix?

If you have a pedigree with average sized horses in it, most likely bred to a larger stallion you are going to get larger foals and feeding has a lot to do with it.

Give the little gal a chance if your heart says to.....but go with your eye/your heart. From that Ganges mare I'd say you have a good eye :)
Signature being edited, too large.

#9 Envestment

Envestment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

Wasn't there a small mare that did quite well at Nationals this past year? I don't remember the name, someone out there might know it. I understand she was so typey they couldn't resist her.
Bonnie Jameson
CROSSWIND ARABIANS
Webbers Falls, OK
CrosswindArabs@aol.com
Our home is protected by God and a gun"

#10 allanglos

allanglos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Who was the pony that won HA Park at Nat'ls years ago? Tiny thing that could trot over the moon. Brought the crowd to its feet every time.

A friend of mine leased a 13.3H mare and her foal grew to 15.2 and he was a Regional Champion 1st and 2nd level dressage (both he and his dam were Aurab breeding).
Email me

The Inverted Y
National Champion Anglo Arabians since 1977

www.allanglos.net