Photo
- - - - -

Help, i am new to Dressage and Dressage training for young horses.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#11 KnightsRose

KnightsRose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thanks so much everyone for all the help I will read over the rules until I memorize them :) hehe there is a book I was looking at getting and would like to see what you guys think of it, "101 Dressage Exercises" is the name of the book. Also I am glad a french link is legal cause my younger mare won't respond to anyother snaffle, I used my full cheek snaffle for a short while on her and she would toss her head and throw a fit as soon as we put her in the french link she stopped all the head tossing and now works really well on the bit and loves it. I saddled up my stallion after a year of not being on his back got on and had my boyfriend lead us around for a bit and he did wonderfully. Unfortunately I need to buy a smaller dressage girth for him so we have to stick with my western saddle u ntil I purchase a new girth. But either way he has been a good boy both days I have been on his back. Yesterday I used my western and we walked alittle all on our own, but when I squeeze him he goes in reverse lol so I had to use his lead rope to tap his but to go forward and every time he did I would praze him and do it again and again no problems no bucks or rears :) I also got on my mare and rode her at a walk and trot. She still needs work coming under herself before we canter :) :) thanks again everyone.
Breeding perfection with beauty, brains, and agilty like you've never seen before, an ARABIAN
Knights Rose Equestrian Park
Roy, WA

#12 KnightsRose

KnightsRose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

Here is a photo of my stallion in his dressage gear :) Beyond Sir Knight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_8577-1.jpg

Breeding perfection with beauty, brains, and agilty like you've never seen before, an ARABIAN
Roy, WA

#13 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

He is really cute. You may have challenges finding a short dressage girth...I know we did! The first one we bought was a cheap Ovation from Ebay. We weren't that crazy about it and it didnt wear that well...Justforponies.com has a pretty good selection of short ones. We ended up with a Stubben pony that we like lot. Just make sure bits and girths etc. don't pinch...needless to say unhappy tack makes an unhappy dressage horse.

#14 KnightsRose

KnightsRose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

My Dover Magazing sells some short ones being 22 inches at the shortest and 34 inches at the longest. I have a 34 inch dressage girth which is big for all my horses so I am looking at getting two new ones. A 24 inch and maybe a 28 inch. There is one in my magazine for 25 dollars with fleece so it should work for now. He should bulk up once he is worked more so I don't want something to small. He is such a good boy. Need to get him in a round pen and work him more :) his bit fits a little big but he loves it.
Roy, WA

#15 KnightsRose

KnightsRose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Beyond Sir Knight with the western saddle for ride number two :) hehe

Attached Thumbnails

• 20110423145822-1.jpg

Roy, WA

#16 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

My Dover Magazing sells some short ones being 22 inches at the shortest and 34 inches at the longest. I have a 34 inch dressage girth which is big for all my horses so I am looking at getting two new ones. A 24 inch and maybe a 28 inch. There is one in my magazine for 25 dollars with fleece so it should work for now. He should bulk up once he is worked more so I don't want something to small. He is such a good boy. Need to get him in a round pen and work him more :) his bit fits a little big but he loves it.

Take a tape measure/measured string and measure it from the second hole of the billets on one side to the second hole of the billets on the other. If you anticipate him thickening up in the barrel, go to the third hole. That generally works for me to figure out what size girth to get. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#17 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

My 16 2 hand 1600 pound horse wears a 34. I would suspect not many will wear that size.

Congrats on getting out there and doing it.
MaryJo

#18 KnightsRose

KnightsRose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Zoe, thanks for information that will help me a lot I'm hoping he bulks alittle more but not much :). And Maryjo it was my friends saddle with her girth. She had a 15.2 hand Angelo Arab who has a heffer :p lol and that girth was almost small for her horse. Lol yeah I don't think to many horses wear that size either. That's why I am going to buy new ones. My guy is on the small side but my girls are average so they can share one. Its a wintec dressage pro saddle nice comfortable saddle I like it. But if I ride in it they will need girths that fit :) so thanks very much Zoe.
Roy, WA

#19 Greentree

Greentree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

My horses wear a 20!! I have only found the wintec, and mohair string girths in this length. Maybe my billets are longer than normal. Good luck with him! He looks so good-natured!

Nancy

#20 KnightsRose

KnightsRose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

Its not my Dover magazine but my Valley Vet magazine that carries shorter girths, they have some pony sized items too. Yesterday we were hit with a cold front and I had to put blankets back on my porr kids they were all shivering and wet from the hard rain he got. And they are almost all shed out already. The billets on my wintec seem long too Nancy I'm thinking of doing what Zoe said, today and seeing exactly what size I need and order it soon. My 15 hand mare if she were thicker through the girth would be ok with the 34 in but she is just built sleek so she also is getting a new girth. I will try and post a fee pics of her on here as well. She is in my western saddle right now too cause she used to have a rearing problem. So the gal said that I got her from... I have only had her do it once while in my surcingle and she flipped over backwords tangled in the round pen, then never reared on me again. But just in case we have the western saddle for now. And my boy has been soo good, if he hadn't been hurt or sick when he was 8 months old he would have been trained to ride when he was 1yrs old. By 7 months he learned all his ground manners so I started him with a bit and long reining him then he got hurt so he hasn't done a lot since then but every time I work him he remembers every thing even if its been a year since he was worked. :) I love him so much and he will throw big beautiful smart babies :)
Roy, WA