Photo

Taking A Deeper Look

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 hrpsylentstar

hrpsylentstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Maybe you Spanish-savy members can give me some more insight into Star's pedigree.

She is 1/4 Russian and 3/4 Spanish. I know the Russian side as she is a Padron's Psyche granddaughter. I am familiar with some if the names in her Spanish heritage such as *GG Samir, Jacio, Garbo, Jaguay, Malikitoa, and *Rastano. Can anyone tell me anything more? What is her "Tail female line" or whatever it is called?
onlineuse.jpg

Standing PM Backfire (MS Firedevil x MS Kora)

2005 Polish Related Arabian Stallion

SCIDS/CA Clear
www.diamondminearabians.com

#2 szedlisa

szedlisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

HR PYSLENT STAR traces to the Spanish Tail Mare Family of FARJA I , a Desert bred mare, dark grey, born in 1902. Her sire was a Saklawi Jedran and her dam was a Hamdanieh Simrieh of the Shammar tribe. She was impòrted by the Yeguada Militar in 1908 and died in 1925. For those interested in strain, this would make her a Hamdanieh Simrieh.

You will find photos and some comments on the szedlisa Flickr albums at
http://www.flickr.co...57600851198212/

Use the search box at the top of the page if you do not find the Spanish Arabian horse you are looking for. Not all photos have been catalogued properly as yet.

Lisa

#3 hrpsylentstar

hrpsylentstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

For those interested in strain, this would make her a Hamdanieh Simrieh.

Okay, now I'm about to ask something really dumb but what's so important or interesting about a certain strain? Is Hamdanieh Simrieh a good strain as far as strains go? Is it well known?

I'm an open book :)

SCIDS/CA Clear

#4 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

Okay, now I'm about to ask something really dumb but what's so important or interesting about a certain strain? Is Hamdanieh Simrieh a good strain as far as strains go? Is it well known?

I'm an open book :)

Some breeders, particularly those of certain families of Arabians, value the strain name more than other breeders. I am more inclined to look at the entire pedigree to see what is good/ bad, although I think mare families & sire lines are important.

The Tail Female is the bottom lines of your pedigree: her dam, her dam, her dam, her dam, etc.

The Sire Line is the top lines of your pedigree: her sire, his sire, his sire, his sire, etc. The *PADRON sire line is quite well-known and established as a popular sire line in the US & other countries as well.

You'll have to do some research on the mare side as Spanish lines are not as commonly seen any more it seems so not sure who all traces to the same tail female as your mare...

#5 missouripassage

missouripassage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

Just did a quick Google search and this stallion is closely related to your mare; both he & your are are grandchildren of the mare MARGARITTA: http://www.laplataar...iquedePlata.htm

#6 szedlisa

szedlisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Google searches are wonderful!
I just found a quote from Emma Maxell , eminent breeder and judge , on the Hamdani strain ( fem: Hamdanieh:
The Spanish Hamdani's are also strong, the main family being Sambry, producer of Arilla and some of the most popular stallions used in Spain over the past few years - Dakalieh (Domecq), Zacateco (Yeguada Militar) and El Perfecto (Ses Planes). It is also seems likely ( but has not been verified ) from the old Veragua records that the mare Verana was from this line. This would include a whole host of famous faces, the Estopa famly, the Hagunia family and all sorts such as Navaronne 'P'.

If there is a Hamdani type I'd be hard pressed to describe it - but big eyes, nice temper and a broad ribcage seem to be about the best fit !! Incidentally Hamdanis are my mothers favourite strain if she could be said to have such a thing !

The classical Spanish for the most part are made up of Hamdani and Saqlawi strains.
Hamdani being taller, sturdier and and considered excellent riding horses; the Saqlawi more refined and noted for speed. Here is a simple rundown on the basic strains:
http://harmonia.mecc...2c7/strains.php

And a more in depth article with diagrams:
http://agarabianhors...se-strains.html

At least the above is a start. ;-)

Lisa

#7 hrpsylentstar

hrpsylentstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:26 AM

Cool thank you all again! I looked into that stallion missouri and I emailed on them to see if he is offered for public stud. May be a good cross on her down the road.

Lisa, she fits the description of a Hamdani of the second link almost to a tee. Even with Psyche being her grandsire she has a longer (though refined because of his influence) face. She has that slightly longer frame and prominent withers...and the egg shaped bum!
199788_10150109083482007_709387006_6959779_920551_n.jpg
199136_10150101383512007_709387006_6894752_6896067_n.jpg 169715_477797512006_709387006_6465435_8165558_o.jpg

SCIDS/CA Clear

#8 hrpsylentstar

hrpsylentstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:44 AM

By the way, does anyone know what the Breeder's Sweepstakes stamp is doing at the bottom of Star's pedigree? It says 'Breeding Entry'...?

SCIDS/CA Clear

#9 szedlisa

szedlisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

Cool thank you all again! I looked into that stallion missouri and I emailed on them to see if he is offered for public stud. May be a good cross on her down the road.

Lisa, she fits the description of a Hamdani of the second link almost to a tee. Even with Psyche being her grandsire she has a longer (though refined because of his influence) face. She has that slightly longer frame and prominent withers...and the egg shaped bum!
199788_10150109083482007_709387006_6959779_920551_n.jpg
199136_10150101383512007_709387006_6894752_6896067_n.jpg 169715_477797512006_709387006_6465435_8165558_o.jpg

Aaaah...I see she would also be considered a Sabino because of her high white markings. Interesting. Because of the great influence of the Crabbet-bred imports into Spain by the Duke of Veragua in the late 20s and early 30s, many of the Spanish arabians carry the sabino gene(s). Although for years the breeders in Spain would breed away from High White, breeders in the states who like all that "chrome" have found that there is many a Sabino amongst the Spanish.

Your mare does fit the description of the Hamdani a great deal. The Hamdani tend to have more bone and in that respect I see that your mare has been more influenced by her sire.

Lisa

#10 hrpsylentstar

hrpsylentstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

Don't forget that *Padron also carries high white from (my guess) Odessa. Padron's Psyche also tends to pass on a lot of white. :)

SCIDS/CA Clear