Photo

Showing a Junior CEP Horse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

So...even though Goody is 5 this year, he was started late & definitely will not be in a double bridle by the time I'd like to take him to his first show.

I am hoping to take him to a show over the May 1st weekend. Even if all we do is show in the training tack class...I'd be thrilled. :)

In the event that we do go into a real CEP class...he's okay to show in a snaffle, right? Are there any pros/cons to going this route?

Any rules I need to know about for a "junior" horse showing in a CEP AAOTR class?

Thanks!!
Michaela
:bigemo_harabe_net-108:

#2 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

You can show in a snaffle bit with no martingale no problem, you see it fairly often. You might want to warm up in your martingale and then pull it with your polos before you go in. I do suggest practicing at home with no martingale before the show, I found that one out the hard way .

How is he going?

#3 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:44 AM

training tack class - - does this mean it is an open show and not an AHA show?
if so, you could go with the regular work tack

#4 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:17 AM

training tack class - - does this mean it is an open show and not an AHA show?
if so, you could go with the regular work tack

No...a couple of our Class A shows in Denver offer a training tack class. I had never seen this before I moved here. (Showed Region 1, 9 & 14 previously)

Michaela

P.s. Thanks for the advice Mel :)

#5 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:30 AM

It used to be if you rode CEP with a snaffle horse you could have the martingale. Idk if it still is.

#6 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

Michaela, here are the USEF rules re: Country English Pleasure - yes you can use a snaffle (I normally see a half cheek used). As to the martingale, I think the only time they are legal is in 3 y/o classes - of course if it is a "training tack" class you may use one.

AR126 Arabian Country English Pleasure Class Specifications.
1. OPEN, MAIDEN, NOVICE, LIMIT, STALLIONS, MARES, GELDINGS. To be shown at a
walk, normal trot, strong trot, canter and hand gallop. It is mandatory that horses be asked
to halt on the rail, stand quietly, back, and walk off on a loose rein at least one direction of
the ring. To be judged on attitude, manners, performance, quality and conformation, in that
order. It is imperative that the horse give the distinct appearance of being a pleasure to ride.
A quiet, responsive mouth is paramount.
2. JUNIOR HORSE (five years old and under). To be shown at a walk, normal trot and canter.
It is mandatory that horses be asked to halt on the rail, stand quietly, back, and walk off
on a loose rein at least one direction of the ring. To be shown in a light, show type bridle;
either single curb or single snaffle (defined as an unwrapped, smooth, rounded snaffle bit
3/8,” to 3/4” diameter as measured one inch from the ring with gradual decrease to the center
of the snaffle, half cheeks permitted), curb and snaffle or pelham bit. To be judged on
attitude, manners, quality, and performance, in that order. It is imperative that the horse give
the distinct appearance of being a pleasure to ride. A quiet, responsive mouth is paramount.
3. ATR, JTR, AOTR, AAOTR, JOTR, SELECT, LADIES, GENTLEMEN. To be shown at a
walk, normal trot and canter. It is mandatory that horses be asked to halt on the rail, stand
quietly, back, and walk off on a loose rein at least one direction of the ring. To be judged on
attitude, manners, performance, quality, conformation and suitability of horse to rider. It is
imperative that the horse give the distinct appearance of being a pleasure to ride. A quiet,
responsive mouth is paramount.
4. CHAMPIONSHIP. To be eligible, horse must have been entered, shown and judged in a
designated qualifying class in the Arabian Country English Pleasure section at that competition.
To be shown at a walk, normal trot, strong trot, canter and hand gallop. It is mandatory
that horses be asked to halt on the rail, stand quietly, back, and walk off on a loose rein at
AR16 © USEF 2011
AR-ARABIAN,
RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#7 murphy

murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

You do not see it often but you can show in just a snaffle. (I think I've seen it done once) No martingale allowed for the rated regular country class. Just make sure its a legal snaffle - see rules in Kathy's post.

#8 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Go get 'em Micheala!!! :)