Photo

Park riding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#11 JennyM

JennyM

Equine Concierge (and Mortgage Loan Officer!)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

Posted Image

Lady in Waiting to Vanna
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Fereyna1982

Fereyna1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

Any rider can do a bad job of riding and can mess up their horse. It can happen even when riding properly due to any number of other issues--equipment fit comes to mind. But I can understand why someone would be *particularly* taken aback at the sight of someone bouncing around like a pea in a pan of hot oil when riding a horse with a lot of impulsion. You can see how easily someone could pick up bad habits in order to feel secure from the top (leaning back or scooting too far to the rear) rather than using their legs properly.

I couldn't view the video--so I'm just guessing wildly that that is what the topic-starter is commenting upon.

Hi Jenny! How is your little horse family these days? Do you have new photos of your latest acquisition? Share, please!

#13 AccentoArabians

AccentoArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

WOW! It's almost like somebody wrote that jokingly as a form of making a mockery out of how uneducated people make ludicrous posts without doing their homework first! People never cease to amaze me!!

Did anyone READ the comments those people made on their forum???? Good grief! I REALLY hope people from other countries don't read our forum and discover how LITTLE we truly know about them and how vain we are to think we do! lmao

First off: they think the link is of a stallion named CEDAR RIDGE in Australia when in reality this is about the CEDAR RIDGE farm in Minnesota (US). They are talking about the Cedar Ridge online auction, which just took place and the horse in the video (Emmanuel) is one of the horses that was listed in the catalog. Emmanuel is an EP horse by the way, NOT PARK! I saw the results of the sale and all the horses sold for BIG BUCKS :)The video they posted is quite obviously NOT a professional riding, but an AMATEUR owner :( No wonder people are scared to get out in the ring and TRY!!

I like how one person comments that we "sell our foals in utero"???? Like that's a bad thing! lol. YES, WE DO!!! If people want to buy a foal you bred before that foal is even born it means YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT!!!! As a breeder, one only wishes they could sell all their foals in-utero! lol. The particular one they were talking about actually sold for a good dollar to!(also part of the Cedar Ridge online sale). Many dog breeders have the entire litter of pups sold before they're ever born. In fact, I believe it's common practice to have a waiting list for a pup! Not that I think we should be mass producing horses like we do with dogs, but can you imagine how great it would be to have people lining up to buy your foals?????

As someone already stated, many EP and Park horses (and many other disciplines) stay sound, sane and rideable well into their 20's so I highly doubt they're being ruined simply by the discipline. I know of WAY more dressage,racing,jumping and western horses that are unsound and "ruined" from poor maintenance and bad riding. ALL disciplines of riding can ruin a good horse, period!

ANY horse in ANY discipline can get sore & become unsound if they are not conditioned and maintained properly. Often times they are also forced to endure disciplines that are not conducive to their conformation and poor riding :(

To be very honest, I have seen many "foreign" riders who were lacking in the skills department. Can you imagine how rude it would be if I went on one of their boards and told them what horrible horsemanship they had because of that ONE person I saw riding poorly??? I really don't think you can judge a whole country of riders (or a discipline) based on ONE example!!!!!! (ever heard of stereotyping, prejudice, racism???)Wow, RUDE!! I suggest you do some further research. I'd love to see the stats/facts that show how many horses were ruined by Park!

Constructive criticism is more than welcome, if it's well-educated, intelligent criticism based on facts and not just an uneducated GUESS...

Well said.
KL Lalita (*Kluszyn X Malitaa) --her 2012 filly by Mr Holly Fire (Afire Bey V X Zodiac Matador daughter)
Ames Dutchess (Philander Bey X Contessa Parada (Gai Parada))
RoyalesCarmenJazz (KC Rouge Royale X Beaux Suada)

Petita (Heritage Bey King X Zsa Zsa Ghazi (*El Ghazi))

#14 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to do it, or participate in it. We can't keep attacking each other because we don't like a discipline that one competes in. I think you could have approached this topic totally different and actually had some good dialouge going on if it had been worded in a way that encouraged people to comment and post.

Once upon a time when I was a kid, I used to show saddlseat, and I liked it. My Morgan mare was talented, and there was restriction on length of foot and weight of shoe. Riding saddleseat as a kid ( as much as this pains me to say it ) made me a better dressage rider. Riding saddleseat "correctly" (not with the humped over back using your reins to post with chicken wings flapping ) actually requires an excellent seat, great balance, tons of core strength, and great legs, and LIGHT SOFT hands.

Times have changed, I have switched disciplines, but guess what, sport horse/dressage/jumpers have equally as bad if not worse things going on at home when it comes to training. Every single discipline when it comes to horses has an ugly side.

I don't like the shoeing in saddleseat, and all the gimmics, but I also don't like seeing horses being ridden in rolkur or the jumpers going out for a midnight training seasson to get "wrapped" and getting pegged with a paintball gun, I don't like to see horses mouths bleeding and the lovely pink foam.

If we put restrictions on LENGTH of foot, only allow ONE pad, and had weight restrictions on the shoeing, it would be a big improvement. We are in a generation of "more is better" kind of mentality, faster, bigger, higher, quicker.

I am not suggesting we close our eyes and pretend everything is rainbows and unicorns, but I am really tired of everyone thinking their discipline is the cats aZZ and pooo poooing everyone else. Mature, rational, open discussion, that are diplomatic and tactful will garner far better results. Like my mom always says " you catch more bees with honey than vinegar"
Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#15 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

the jumpers going out for a midnight training seasson to get "wrapped" and getting pegged with a paintball gun,

Good post but what is "wrapped" and getting pegged w/paintball gun?

#16 tamrie123

tamrie123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

Good post but what is "wrapped" and getting pegged w/paintball gun?

a nasty trick to get them to curl up their legs when going over a fence...some stuff you don't really want to know
JB Yelsky
Happily the Home of Bindi, Miss Batique, Sauvache & Agnes! Oh and 10 others who have never had a bad day in their lives!

#17 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

a nasty trick to get them to curl up their legs when going over a fence...some stuff you don't really want to know

Great! Did you get my email about the show?

#18 tamrie123

tamrie123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

Great! Did you get my email about the show?

i dont think i did!!! send it again! please. I am all about a normal show that costs normal dollars with normal people there!
JB Yelsky
Happily the Home of Bindi, Miss Batique, Sauvache & Agnes! Oh and 10 others who have never had a bad day in their lives!

#19 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

I don't like the shoeing in saddleseat, and all the gimmics, but I also don't like seeing horses being ridden in rolkur or the jumpers going out for a midnight training seasson to get "wrapped" and getting pegged with a paintball gun, I don't like to see horses mouths bleeding and the lovely pink foam.

If we put restrictions on LENGTH of foot, only allow ONE pad, and had weight restrictions on the shoeing, it would be a big improvement. We are in a generation of "more is better" kind of mentality, faster, bigger, higher, quicker.

There ARE restrictions on length of foot -- 4 1/2 inches for purebreds. 5 for Half Arabians. And a limit to 1 pad. These are restrictions for main ring classes. There is a restriction on the width and thickness of the shoes.

Sport Horse, dressage, hunter over fences, jumpers, Carriage driving, reining, trail do not have shoeing restrictions.
MaryJo

#20 s2h

s2h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

I showed a Morgan park mare as a youth and took her to an open show for practice during the off season. She was flat shod (no pad/keg shoe) but still trotted 3 inches above level. I was in an Equitation class when this lady spectator started screaming at me for having chains on her legs. LOL. She never needed them nor was she wearing them at the show, but this lady was going off on me in a crazy way because of the NATURAL way my horse moved. Good times!
Scott Morris

Home of:
Corleone (IXL NOBLE EXPRESS x WILLETTE) 2007 Bay Stallion
VM Vivacious (ZJEANLUC x VM KHOQUETTE) 2006 15/16 Arabian Pinto Mare
And in memory of my good friend Zjeanluc (VERSACE x ZJANDARRA) 2003-2010 Bay Gelding-RIP Lucas