Photo
- - - - -

A HISTORY OF SPANISH ARABIANS IN AMERICA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#21 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:45 AM

Wow, Marty you aren't the only one to shed a tear ;). So many great great horses. I have been lucky enough to know many of them and even luckier to show some of them. I will post some photos tomorrow night.

Thank you Arlene, you rock as usual!

Ah bless all of you-Julia, Marty, Cyn and Christie!

Makes me feel I'm really doing something wonderful here. I think the Spanish horses need more publicity these days and people need reminding that a lot of what makes Magnum Psyche great is his Spanish momma!!

I enjoy writing when I can educate people and it looks as if I'm on target here...Julia, the photos of your mares made me nearly weep. I may have to transfer some of my allegiance from a certain redheaded bombshell named Callie to a soulful big eyed Spanish grand dame!

And thanks to ALL of you for the wonderful photos which I couldn't do myself. This really encourages me that when I do publish here without photos other people will be able to help me out-and the best thing is I learn from the experience as well seeing your wonderful horses. Julia, your filly BETTER go at least Top Ten-she's wonderful!!

Thanks again everyone for making my morning start off great.
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#22 Esufrank1

Esufrank1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:53 AM

Thank you for the great article Arlene!

Many Spanish Arabian photos can be seen at :

http://www.spanisharabianhorsesociety.org/ArchiveIndex.html

They even have a pic of Reyna ( Skowronek x Rissla). Reyna, by the way, is listed in having a 1999 Monogramm foal on Data Source. Not bad for 74 years old. :bigemo_harabe_net-117:

Ed

#23 szedlisa

szedlisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:12 AM

Wonderful article Arlene !!!!

A delightful and interesting read and certainly a fresh perspective on the histrory of the Classical Staight Spanish Arabian and the Spanish-Related Arabian.

It is especially nice to have an update of the US and Canadian Champions and Reserves since your first published list. Many , many thanks for all the research hours and time you have put into this.

I left a post on the Spanish Arabian site here at ABN , with a direct link to this article as it is a bit difficult to find otherwise. Also if there is need of any photos of Classical Straight Spanish Arabians World Wide or Spanish-Related Arabians in Spain, please feel free to use any that you might need from my SZED Collection at Flickr. SZED Collection - Spanish Arabians

I have over 3000 photos with more coming in. As an added perk, I am putting together separate albums of the different breeding farms or "Yeguadas" in Spain. This hopefully will give an idea of the distinctive 'look' of each farms breeding stock and locate where they are.

Kudos for your efforts to spread the knowledge on the Spanish Arabian !!

Lisa

#24 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

Thank you for the great article Arlene!

Many Spanish Arabian photos can be seen at :

http://www.spanisharabianhorsesociety.org/ArchiveIndex.html

They even have a pic of Reyna ( Skowronek x Rissla). Reyna, by the way, is listed in having a 1999 Monogramm foal on Data Source. Not bad for 74 years old. :bigemo_harabe_net-117:

Ed

Ed-thanks for the photo link!! I didn't have time to explore lots of photo options for illustration from the net before I posted the article...now I realize what resources are out there, and that I should have done so.

As for Reyna having a foal at 74, as my husband says, when you pays peanuts you get monkeys. I don't know who at AHA does the data entry for Datasource (good thing I don't or I'd be in jail for murder) but I am sure of one thing: whoever does it knows NOTHING about horses.

Arlene
</p>

#25 Janek

Janek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:04 AM

Thanks a lot for the great article and for the pictures!

"The horse, who is too precious and too beautiful to be ridden, is neither precious nor beautiful. It's simply called an impaired horse by merciful Allah."

old Bedouin proverb

#26 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

Thanks a lot for the great article and for the pictures!

You are very welcome indeed, though I am not to be thanked for the photos-the wonderful ABN members who helped out are!!!

Now-I have had an email from Lisa Goodwin-Campiglio of Szed Arabians. She has had an email from Cristina Valdes (heir to the Veragua horses and the Valjuanete Stud). She said that my dates for the Spanish Civil War were wrong as the war lasted only three years, not 8 as I had stated. Scholars tend to count the years spent fighting the insurgents against Franco as part of the war (I was certainly so taught when I got my MA in history!) but since Cristina is more knowledgeable than I, and she is so closely connected, I have made some changes to the section discussing that time.

Please feel free to email me with any comments or corrections you may have. To be included in the list of National Champions, a horse has to be 50% Spanish by pedigree (doesn't matter where in the pedigree, unlike with the Pyramid Society for Egyptians) but it does have to have the percentage. I therefore could not include several of the National Champions by C A Hermoso in western pleasure and hunt pleasure as they don't have the required 50% (C A Hermoso is 75% Spanish).

Thanks to everyone who has posted and emailed. Leo, you need to post the stuff on *Pagana you emailed me so everyone can learn!!!
</p>

#27 Fairfax

Fairfax

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

You are very welcome indeed, though I am not to be thanked for the photos-the wonderful ABN members who helped out are!!!Now-I have had an email from Lisa Goodwin-Sauser of Szed Arabians. She has had an email from Cristina Valdes (heir to the Veragua horses and the Valjuanete Stud). She said that my dates for the Spanish Civil War were wrong as the war lasted only three years, not 8 as I had stated. Scholars tend to count the years spent fighting the insurgents against Franco as part of the war (I was certainly so taught when I got my MA in history!) but since Cristina is more knowledgeable than I, and she is so closely connected, I have made some changes to the section discussing that time. Please feel free to email me with any comments or corrections you may have. To be included in the list of National Champions, a horse has to be 50% Spanish by pedigree (doesn't matter where in the pedigree, unlike with the Pyramid Society for Egyptians) but it does have to have the percentage. I therefore could not include several of the National Champions by C A Hermoso in western pleasure and hunt pleasure as they don't have the required 50% (C A Hermoso is 75% Spanish).Thanks to everyone who has posted and emailed. Leo, you need to post the stuff on *Pagana you emailed me so everyone can learn!!!

This is Pagana III who is behind the line of Sasaki. Her daughter Guirfe(spelling) was bred by Dr. Houttapel. Pagana III was the high selling mare at the Steen dispersal $3600.00 and was sold to Overlook Arabians in Nevada.When I purchased her, in partnership with Michael Pawson, she had a colt at her side by Jameel Raskhi and was rebred back to him. The new colt was named Fairfax Samarkand and he was the sire of PB Canadian Top Ten Fairfax Firen Ice and also another filly prefex Demaran however I don't have her name. Pagana was the dam of Fairfax Marrakesh who was by *Ibn Negatiw. This filly was stolen in California when we shipped her to a straight Spanish stallion.This resulted in an expensive lawsuit, with the mare AND the offender "disappearing". Pagana was sold to Bruce and Jerry at Bru Mar Ba and she was co-owned with the Whitaker family. Sadly she aborted twin fillies by Barich and died shortly after..she was in her 20's. She has the distinction of being the first straight spanish mare brought into Canada...there had been a stallion imported a couple of years before and he was the first Spanish arabian imported. Just a brief note on the theft...It did cause an international problem as my father was a retired Ambassador. She had been shipped to a "Breeder" who was standing his straight Spanish stud...and the stud was good...however there were many intrigues and ins and outs with many breeders including Denise Borg from Four Winds Farms and Bru Mar Ba offering to help...to no avail...the individual kept moving her...our private investigator would locate her and by the time the Sheriff arrived with an order of seizue...she would be moved again. We were told that she was sold under another set of papers... Pagana has a claim to fame as her daughter Gariffe (spelling) is the grand dam of Sasaki...so all those "fancy" Sasaki offspring keep the line going in her memory. This is why pedigrees are so very important...We need to know where we have been to understand where we are going...Leo Maxwell Fairfax Farms...

Attached Thumbnails

• Pagana.jpg

Collected my marbles...going...going.....gone

#28 Christie

Christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hey Miss Arlene, the work on our stallions should be so interesting, I cannot wait. I tell you what thatt ole white mare of Charliedawgs is really something. Very special.
Just My Opinion

Posted Image

#29 arabbits

arabbits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hey Miss Arlene, how are our goods coming? I tell you what thatt ole white mare of Charliedawgs is really something. Very special.

Christie-

Thanks for your enthusiasm but you know why I didn't start your work on time.

I'm not ready to send anything yet as I have been doing bits of research here and there on all of them.

If you have a need for one writeup before the others please let me know-you have my personal email!

It's a honor to be doing all your breeding stallions...but please be patient, it will be worth the wait.

#30 szedlisa

szedlisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:00 AM

Now-I have had an email from Lisa Goodwin-Sauser of Szed Arabians.

Bless your heart Arlene,

Our darling Gilles (Sauser) passed on many many years ago. His sonorous renditions of Jacque Brel's "Ne Me Quitte Pas" still echo in my mind. My legal name is Lisa Goodwin-Campiglio and that is how most people know me. If its not too much of a hassle could you correct that? Although Dick (Campiglio) has also passed on he was the father of my children and I have kept his name to honor that. He could not have given me a greater gift.

Many thanks,
Lisa p.s I see you have covered it by just calling me SZED . That works just fine. LOL