Photo

What shows me a horse would be a good English show horse?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#11 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

No I asked what features of a horse should I be looking for when looking for an English/Hunter Pleasure horse that I can train?

you will need to decide which you are looking for - - a hunter or a saddleseat horse.
very different horses, very different prices as well

#12 fyreflii7

fyreflii7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Ditto what siiamese said.

Be descriptive and folks will help you. Which discipline do you want to show in, at what level (local, class A, Regionals, Nationals?), etc.

Ashley Bibby
‚Äčemail

Trinnity (Triften+/ x SWF Noble Portrait/MHR Nobility)
Divinity JS (Nobilistic BF x JHB Debutante/Promotion)
Ballerina JS (Erykk MF x Westover Brandie/Al Banat)

#13 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

I already know how to be safe thanks, and I've taken lots of bucks and broken bones on my first horse and I trained her from start to finish from when I first saw her as a 2 year old. Hehe, disaster as a start as it seemed but like you said I need to do some research, cuz I didn't exactly know what I was doing when I was 10 with a 2 year old filly, I truly finished her off about 10 months ago and thats when we started really moving forward towards nationals, until we found out about all of her conformation problems and such. I was really proud when we got our first 1st place ribbon, cuz I knew that was my horse winning and I trained it. So thats why I want to start with a young horse, ya I'm not going to start out as young as I started with Tink, but it sure made me a better rider and I'm glad I learned alot from Tink. Felt like I was the student instead of the crazy mare :P

Oh I didn't mean "safe" as in not getting bucked off altho I guess you could also take it that way. I meant in safe as knowing for sure what discipline the horse is going to be so you don't get something, start it, then sell it because its not what you thought it was going to be. I frequently see trainers selling horses for their ammys because they bought the horse thinking it was going to be one discipline and it turned out to be something else. And I think these young prospect purchases were with the trainers' blessings. Guess I'm just sayin' even the pros dont' know for sure how they are going to turn out. But if you're OK if it turns out to be a hunter instead of an english horse and you don't mind going hunter or selling it then go for it! Be sure to let us know how it goes! I get a kick out of people's threads showing us their progress!