Photo

Horse Training Internship?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Ever since I knew what a horse trainer was, I wanted to be one. My entire life, I've wanted to turn my love of horses (Arabians in particular) in to a career. I think it's about that time that I actually do something about it. I'm looking for somewhere to intern through the summer of 2011. I'd prefer a dressage barn, however I'm open to all options. I've got a great work ethic and I learn very quickly. I've been riding horses since I was 4. I first took lessons at a hunter barn from 4-5. From 6-7 I really only went on trail rides every weekend, and went to summer camps for horses in the summer. From about 8-12, I rode Arabians at an Arab barn that pretty much taught me that black is white and white is black. From there I ended up meeting up with a cutting horse trainer that lived down the street from me. I rode the "abandoned" boarders' horses all up and down, barely broke to broke bareback, up and down the trails, to the state fair, at her barrel racing shows, so on and so forth. She put me on her 2 and 3 year old cutters to work for her while also teaching me about the training, and bettering myself as a rider. I left there when I was about 14 and began riding an older friend of mines' mare for her. A few months after that, I moved in to my current home, on a 15 acre horse farm. I took in and trained a cremello QH mare, whom I had for about 3 months and had never been handled before I brought her home. I then sold her and got my beautiful Arabian mare, who I plan on keeping for a long time to come, and is already proving to be a lovely dressage mount. So now you know, that's basically my story in horses. I still have a lot to learn, though. I don't know the purpose of splint boots, and I don't know why you shouldn't feed an Arab sweet feed. I can never get all of the dust off of my horse, and I don't know what makes a perfectly fitting bridle. I am, however, willing to learn anything and everything that you're willing to teach me in the horse/Arabian industry. The following is a video of my Arab mare and I.

Anyways, feel free to send this to anyone that you know that might be interesting in offering me some sort of internship.

I live in New Hill, NC, and would prefer that the place be within 5 or 6 hours of home, and it would be great if I could bring my mare along, but I don't guess either one of those are necessities.

Excuse the alien eyes:
Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Erin

Erin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Good luck Zoe!

Labor of Love Arabians

By God's grace

Home of :

Tsultans Tsalley (Ivanhoe Tsultan x Missy Araborra)
Velvet Darqness (Tahr x Darg Velvet)
Foundation mare:
Mai Fantasy (Botswana x Ramses Glory B)

Posted Image

#3 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Since you have indicated an interest in dressage and there are a great many good dressage trainers within a few hours of where you live, how about contacting them about a working student position.
MaryJo

#4 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Since you have indicated an interest in dressage and there are a great many good dressage trainers within a few hours of where you live, how about contacting them about a working student position.

I have contacted many, many barns within a few hours of me. They either don't respond or don't have room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

How far is Suffolk VA?
MaryJo

#6 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

How far is Suffolk VA?

It's about 3 hours away. :)

#7 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

I take live in working students year round, but I am not next door lol

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#8 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

Just have to announce, it's a slight possibility that I'll be headed to Saskatchewan to work with Renee (HoofHaven) over the summer. :bigemo_harabe_net-115:

Still looking for somewhere that offers what she offers closer to home, though... ;)

#9 Kandie

Kandie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

I don't think you could do better then Renee. I would take that and run with it.

Stone Creek Arabians..Home to..
Dawn Patrol DCA - Radar
Renegade Spirit DCA - Rennie
TR Supergirl - Gigi
Elvis Press Lee - Elvis
Faerie Masquerade - Fae

Stone Creek Photography

Making memories of a Lifetime, Last a Lifetime

Find Stone Creek Photography on Facebook!

#10 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

I don't think you could do better then Renee. I would take that and run with it.

Thanks! Not only do I love everything that she's offered me, but I also love the idea of just getting away from here for a couple of months, you know?